Thread: Garmin 376 Error Messages

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Garmin 375 Error Messages

Since my Carbon Cub was delivered I have been getting error messages on startup on the Garmin 375. After I clear the messages the unit works fine. Here is the message screen.

I cannot find any reference to these messages in the Garmin 375 installation manual.

When I go into the configuration mode on the Garmin 375 I see the following settings for COMM Port Configuration so I guess something needs to be changed here.

Anyone else seeing these messages. Garmin 375 will not allow me to enter a waypoint until the error message is acknowledged.
    Last edited by turbopilot; 04-29-2010 at 07:44 AM.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Default Re: Garmin 376 Error Messages

Do you have the current operating software version in your unit? The current version flashes across the bottom of the screen as the unit boots up. If it is anything less than 3.0 it is not the latest and updating it may solve that issue.

The RS232 lines are the serial connections that the GDU375 uses to communicate to other devices with. In this case, RS232 IN 1 should be connected to the transponder, and RS232 OUT 2 should be going to your SL40 com radio. The other INs/OUTs are not used.

If the wires are broken or the other units are turned off it is possible to get an error similar to this but I have a feeling that it is probably a programing issue.

The settings you are showing appear to be correct for the programing part of it.

Start by checking and/or updating the operating software, then lets see if that fixes it. The software is updated here but the updates come quite often, so though you may have just received your aircraft it is quite possible you are not running the most current rev.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Do you have the current operating software version in your unit? The current version flashes across the bottom of the screen as the unit boots up. If it is anything less than 3.0 it is not the latest and updating it may solve that issue.

The RS232 lines are the serial connections that the GDU375 uses to communicate to other devices with. In this case, RS232 IN 1 should be connected to the transponder, and RS232 OUT 2 should be going to your SL40 com radio. The other INs/OUTs are not used.

If the wires are broken or the other units are turned off it is possible to get an error similar to this but I have a feeling that it is probably a programing issue.

The settings you are showing appear to be correct for the programing part of it.

Start by checking and/or updating the operating software, then lets see if that fixes it. The software is updated here but the updates come quite often, so though you may have just received your aircraft it is quite possible you are not running the most current rev.

Pete D.
    Just updated to 3.0 a week ago. This message page was the same before update. Came from Yakima that way. All units are on when message comes up and everything works normally.

So what serial lead feeds the Dynon with GPS data?

While I have you second question. Wanted to update the Dynon to current software. I find two 9 pin plugs tucked up under the panel. Which one is used for PC update??

Bob,

Serial 2 out of the GDU375 feeds both the SL40 as Pete indicates but also feeds the Dynon.

BTW, the reason there is a serial feed to the SL40 is that you can "push" a com frequency into the com standby from an airport info page on the GPS. If you do use the GPS for airport info (instead of a Flight Guide etc.) when approaching an airport then it's a useful feature.
    Randy Lervold

Yep, I missed the split in the Serial line, it feeds BOTH the SL40 and the Dynon.

The two plugs for the Dynon are the EFIS serial port and the EMS serial port. You want the one for the EFIS to do your software updates. Check out page 4-4 in the FlightDEK-D180 Installation Guide available from Dynon's web page here: http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/su...mentation.html

Sometimes those connectors will be marked EFIS and EMS, not sure if they are all the time or not. It won't hurt anything to plug into the wrong one, the interface program (also available on Dynon's web page) will tell you if you have the wrong one.

Dynon is pretty good on the phone with questions if you need any help walking through the first time.

Pete D.

Information on the Dynon serial connections can also be found in the D180 Pilot's user guide, Appendix A starting on page 11-1 available here: http://www.dynonavionics.com/downloa...er%20Guide.pdf

Back to the original question regarding the error messages, does it appear that the serial output functions are working? Can you transfer a frequency from the GPS to the COM, etc?

Pete D.

Information on the Dynon serial connections can also be found in the D180 Pilot's user guide, Appendix A starting on page 11-1 available here: http://www.dynonavionics.com/downloa...er%20Guide.pdf

Back to the original question regarding the error messages, does it appear that the serial output functions are working? Can you transfer a frequency from the GPS to the COM, etc?

Pete D.
    Thanks Randy and Pete. Did not know about the ability to push a frequency to the SL40.

There is no doubt the Dynon is getting GPS info from the serial connection since the winds aloft functionality is working. I will check to see if the transponder is getting serial information. If it is it should go into standby mode below 35 knots of ground speed.

I crawled under the panel with a flash light and both of those Dynon 9 pin connectors are labeled, so I know which one to connect to for the Dynon software upgrade.

Pete D.
    SL40 frequency transfer works and transponder is going in and out of standby based on airspeed, so everything seems to be working normally. So all serial output functions are working.

Pete D.
    I have made more progress in understanding what is going on with the Garmin 375 error messages. Here is my Main Config screen:

Note at the top of screen my configuration shows three devices: MFD (which is checked and active), GPS1 and GPS2 which is unchecked. When I drill down to GPS 1 and GPS 2 it shows these devices are hooked up to #1 and #2 Serial IN data lines respectively. The Executive Panel in the CC does not use #1 and #2 Serial IN data ports. So why are they there?

GPS1 and GPS2 are showing up because of the way the MFD COMM PORTS are set up with the Executive Panel. Here is my setup from the factory.

As you can see both RS-232 #1 and RS-232 #2 are configured with "Aviation In" enabled. So this is telling the Garmin 375 to look for activity on the pins carrying #1 and #2 Serial data IN. Since there is no traffic in bound on those pins we get the error message below.

I confirmed this is the case by selecting only outbound Comm Port Configurations for RS232 #1 and #2. When this is done the error goes away. The problem is that there is no COMM Port Configuration using outbound serial ports only that will drive the SL40 and Dynon from one port (RS-232 #2) and so far I cannot find an outbound configuration on RS-232 #1 that will drive the transponder off of RS-232 #1.

I would like to save the RS-232 #3 for TIS inbound to receive traffic data from a Zaon XRX. So I don't see an easy way to solve this startup error problem given the current software and the fact that we want to drive 4 devices from 3 serial ports.

Bob,
    I'm enjoying your posts immensely. Very informative. I'm nominating you for President. Keep 'em coming.