Thread: Straight ski install

Default Straight ski install

I researched the threads here but didn't find my answer.

Can I install a set of Aero or Federal 2000's on a CC? I see the axles are 1 1/4" so wondering if the HD 1 1/2" axles the EXP's get would be better or the PA-18 3" ext gear the best option. I will not be building so factory aircraft. Can, under the LSA category, the factory use any of the 3 gear options or is that only applicable to a/c going into the EXP class?

I don't want wheel skis, for where I operate straight skis fine. I am also concerned with the prop clearance of the CC once on skis. They don't appear to sit up all that high at the nose so assuming the 3" Ext gear will be mandatory, so the next question is this. What of these gear, PA-18, 3x3, or 3" ext allow for the most clearance?? In fresh powder I want the composite prop well out of the snow pack. I see very little info about the CC on straight skis. Why is that??

Default Re: Straight ski install

Very few, if any, out there running straights. Majority of Carbon Cubs coming out of factory are moved into E-LSA category, allowing owner to mod aircraft. You can make one straight ski capable with aftermarket parts and assemblies from CC, utilizing the 3" extended gear will give you the lift you need. I'm pretty sure the axle is 1.5" too. Your dealer can assist in procuring aftermarket parts. If you are in Minnesota that would be Jeff Baber at Innovation Aircraft in St. Louis.

Thanks Clay for the response this from the archives, It looks like 1 1/4" axles according to Dan. Should/would you ask for the 1.5" if you were going with Aero 2000's or just use bushings?

Pete D

Senior Member Join DateJan 2010LocationYakima, WAPosts824

Re: Landing gear question

I believe the CC kit gear is a little heavier than the CC LSA gear as well....

Pete D.

01-26-2011, 05:48 PM #5
    Dan L

Senior Member Join DateJul 2010LocationPlains, MTPosts255

Re: Landing gear question

The following is from another post I made that may be helpful.

Yes that is 3" extended Dodge gear with 1.5" axles. Before I sold my Super Cub and bought this kit I checked with Noel at the Cubworks to verify that the Carbon Cub would accept PA-18 gear. If it hadn't that one thing would have kept me from buying the kit. I have a set of Landes LW2500 skis that I wanted to keep. And with those skis there are some special fittings welded onto the gear that Landes will only weld on in their shop. So I bought new 3" Dodge gear through them with the fittings. When I sold my PA-18 I kept the skis and gear and have that gear on the Carbon Cub now as I worked on the fuselage. I sold the 3" Cub Crafter gear to a friend in Billings.

Since the Grove wheels that came with the kit were for 1.25" axles I called Grove and asked about an exchange for 1.5" axles. They were very good to work with and made an even trade with me for 1.5" bearings and wheels. I'll use those wheels with 31" Bushwheels and the 8" tires in the images are on Clevelands

BTW, I weighed the 3" CC gear that came with the kit and my 3" Dodge gear with ski fittings and 1.5" axles. The Dodge gear was 1/4 pound heavier for both sides.

CC can supply you with a SuperCub gear with 1.5" axles is kind of where I was going with it. You would just have to call and set it up, as it is not a stock option.

When I got my kit in 2010 the gear issued with the kit had 1.25" dia. Axles. The gear I intended to use with my skis had 1.50" dia. axles so Grovve was nice enough to trade the kit wheels for 1.50" dia bearings.

The skis I have will work with either size axle. Staying with 1.50" just made it all easier for me.

Hope that hat explains my earlier post.

BTW the CC is a great performer on skis.

image.jpg
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011