Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator Problem....I think

Default Alternator Problem....I think

Went out to the CC this morning, started it up no problem, half way thru climb-out the battery voltage went into the yellow, 12.5V, by the time I got turned around and landed it was 11.9V. My amp gauge on my dynon showed no charging amps on my way back to the airport and after landing, however it was charging at the time of take-off. Checked the battery itself and it was showing 12.4V. I've got 110 hours on the CC, has anyone one seen issues with their alternator on their CC?
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Default Re: Alternator Problem....I think

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    Went out to the CC this morning, started it up no problem, half way thru climb-out the battery voltage went into the yellow, 12.5V, by the time I got turned around and landed it was 11.9V. My amp gauge on my dynon showed no charging amps on my way back to the airport and after landing, however it was charging at the time of take-off. Checked the battery itself and it was showing 12.4V. I've got 110 hours on the CC, has anyone one seen issues with their alternator on their CC?
    Check the field connector on the back of the alternator. We had a spade connector that was not making a consistent contact. We bought a new connector assembly, soldered and heat shrunk the wires to it. The RV people recommend potting the wires with high temp RTV as they enter into this connector. If that doesn't help, it is easy to have the Denso alternator checked at Auto Zone, Pep Boys etc (tell them it is off your Kubota) but it is likely a connection issue. We have an EarthX lithium, so we set the Dynon to alarm anytime we do not have positive amps. The battery voltage indication doesn't give much warning before the self protection shuts it down, although the battery still gives about 45 minutes operation without charging before that happens.

Thanks DRL, I'll check it out.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

There was no voltage at the field connector, found out the 40 amp fuse under the seat had blown. Replaced it and all was good. Now I'm concerned about why it failed Just FYI, not all 40 amp fuses have the same configuration on the plastic end, the CC required it to have two channels on each side of the plastic cap in order for it to slide into the fuse holder. Napa fuses don't work, got mine at O'reilly's auto store.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

There was no voltage at the field connector, found out the 40 amp fuse under the seat had blown. Replaced it and all was good. Now I'm concerned about why it failed Just FYI, not all 40 amp fuses have the same configuration on the plastic end, the CC required it to have two channels on each side of the plastic cap in order for it to slide into the fuse holder. Napa fuses don't work, got mine at O'reilly's auto store.
    why not put a circuit breaker in that can be reset in flight

Resetting a CB in flight is not the best thing to do. It tripped for a reason and you need to figure out why......only when you are on the ground. You could be creating a fire hazard if you push it back in in flight. You best do some digging Steve. I am a CB guy and don't like fuses, but that is just so I don't have to buy a fuse after a breaker tripped once I figured out the problem on the ground.

Last summer i was flying over the Hell's Canyon area to pick up a buddy in La Grande Oregon to go to the Johnson Creek Fly In. The air was very rough and a thirty mile per hour head wind. Not having much fun. Over Baker Oregon I noticed that my voltage was down to 12.4 and my memory was that 13.2 was normal. I turned off all the avionics, lights, beacons etc, and flew five more minutes with out instruments and then repowered the panel with the voltage down to 12.1. I turn back heading to Weiser Idaho. I don't have a lot faith in the reserve battery giving me the advertised thirty minutes. When i got withing dead stick distance of Weiser I turned off the master switch and then back on. The Alternator then resumed working and I made it to my home airport of Ontario Oregon. I cancelled my trip to Johnson Creek. Who needs to be flying in the mountains with a crippled aircraft. I just spent the money and replaced the alternator. I believe the problem was a loose connection with the capacitor and alternator.

Troy, you're right, I've got some digging to. I checked all my connections and they are tight, I might have the alternator tested, but I'm not sure if an intermittent problem can be found during the testing.
    Last edited by stede52; 11-24-2015 at 08:47 AM.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Troy, you're right, I've got some digging to. I checked all my connections and they are tight, I might have the alternator tested, but I'm not sure if an intermittent problem can be found during the testing.
    Download your EFIS data. It might tell you something.

Quote Originally Posted by lbell View Post
    why not put a circuit breaker in that can be reset in flight
    As you have already been advised, resetting the CB is a bad idea. Land at nearest suitable airport and troubleshoot on the ground.