Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Engine: CHT >400 degrees

Default New Engine: CHT >400 degrees

I flew my first flights yesterday. Everything went great. Only concern is the #3 CHT likes to creep up to 400 degrees (and over) at the higher power (>2350 RPM) settings which is what's called for in the engine break in protocol.

I've got the CC340, Catto 80" prop, and running Phillips X/C 20W-50 oil.

Per Cub Crafter's Engine Break-In Procedure, I'm trying to keep the power at 2325-2450 RPM (getting approx. 21" manifold). I'm getting ~116-125 MPH in airspeed. Oil temp is fine (~158 degrees) and the other CHTs are 30 degrees cooler. Cowl Vent, on that side, is open max. Any suggestions on how to get that #3 CHT cooler?

By the way, my Garmin G3X Touch says that @ 2400 RPM I've got 60% power, however the CC Engine Break-In Procedure states "engine should then be operated at 65% - 75% power (2325-2450 RPM)" (#4, page 2) which doesn't jibe. Any suggestions here?

Lastly, I need to reset the Total Fuel Capacity (Long-range Fuel) in the Garmin G3X Touch. I can't find where to reset the Total Capacity in the Configuration side. I used the Config File from the Factory to setup my parameters.

Default Re: New Engine: CHT >400 degrees

I always used mineral oil for the break in but read that that is now a myth....not required. If you have less than 5 hours on it just run it hard. The temps will come down. I always broke my engines in with mineral oil and dropped it out around ten hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. Temps will run high in the beginning. There is excess friction on the cylinder walls as the rings seat, which leads to increased operating temps. Your running cylinder temps, across the board, should drop in relation to the oil consumption being reduced as well. Watch for the two to happen somewhat in concert. Change your oil at increased intervals to remove the foreign matter that gets worn off. At minimum ten, twenty-five and then fifty hour mark. Then go on a regular schedule. If you want/can change it more often it only does you good.

Don't get too concerned about the CHTs you're experiencing. According to Kevin Eldridge, Reno Racer, engine guru, and consultant to Titan Engines, these heads like it just fine at 400 degrees.

Thanks all for your comments/input. Consensus on and off forum has basically been not to worry... Run the engine as hard as the temps will allow. Temps will come down in 5 or so hours when the rings have seated.

Quote Originally Posted by gderamel View Post
    Lastly, I need to reset the Total Fuel Capacity (Long-range Fuel) in the Garmin G3X Touch. I can't find where to reset the Total Capacity in the Configuration side. I used the Config File from the Factory to setup my parameters.
    Give me a call and I'll walk you through the steps to change your fuel capacity.
    Jon Delamarter
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters, Inc.
    jond@cubcrafters.com
    Office (509)367-5200

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Delamarter View Post
    Give me a call and I'll walk you through the steps to change your fuel capacity.

Thanks Jon!

For anyone else who needs to reconfigure their GARMIN G3X Touch to the EXTENDED 40 GALLON FUEL. Here are my notes from my call with Jon...

GARMIN G3X TOUCH
    FUEL CAPACITY SETUP

1. Enter Config Mode
    2. Touch… “Engine & Airframe”
    3. Scroll down and Touch…”Fuel Flow (EI FT-60)”
    4. Then Touch… “Calibrate” Button
    5. Change 24 gallons… to 40 gallons
    6. Save and Reboot!

Thanks for posting that! Will need it in a few months!

Yes, thanks for the info on the 40 gal programming!

Did your temps come down? If so when? My engine is doing the same thing.

thanks

jason