Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Stewarts Systems

Default Re: Stewarts Systems

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Last nights results. Rest of the paint is in shipping, should be able to continue by weeks end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's going to look sharp. I was thinking about doing the same color scheme as your yellow/black, but in inverse (black on top). Do you still have the rendering of that? Does it begin to look a little too much like a bee? My 5 year old visited the garage and thought that white with a pink stripe or rainbow color would look good. I'm trying to change her mind.

Gregg
    Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0092

Here you go.

gregs side view.jpg

My concern with to much black on the top is heat. I have heard from one source that tapes have shrunk from the black. I dought that will be an issue where I live but it is a consideration. Greg top.jpg
    Last edited by TroyBranch; 03-08-2016 at 10:55 AM.

One wing is done. On to the next after a couple days drying. I want to make sure the stand does not leave a mark in all this hard work.

Can't wait to see it put together. Looking great!

Do you know of any apps that a computer novice could use to put together some color schemes? Do you have a printable line drawing of the Carbon Cub?

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0092

Quote Originally Posted by GreggG View Post
    Can't wait to see it put together. Looking great!

Do you know of any apps that a computer novice could use to put together some color schemes? Do you have a printable line drawing of the Carbon Cub?

Thanks,
    Gregg
    I can email you a PDF file that I can create from Autocad. Then you can use Paint or print it out and color it. I am sure there is other simple computer programs that I am not aware of.

Troy,

A few questions for you about Stewarts. First, is it fixable? Let's say you would get a run or dirt in the top coat. Can you wet sand it and buff it out? It's possible with ranthane but it is a lot of work because the paint stays so soft. Second, does the paint blend? If you have to go in and spray again once the paint is dry will it blend or is it easier to paint the whole panel? Last, how is the light colors coverage? I know with most yellows I've sprayed you have to spray white over the silver first to get the yellow not to turn green.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Troy,

A few questions for you about Stewarts. First, is it fixable? Let's say you would get a run or dirt in the top coat. Can you wet sand it and buff it out? It's possible with ranthane but it is a lot of work because the paint stays so soft. Second, does the paint blend? If you have to go in and spray again once the paint is dry will it blend or is it easier to paint the whole panel? Last, how is the light colors coverage? I know with most yellows I've sprayed you have to spray white over the silver first to get the yellow not to turn green.

Mike
    I have never had a run with the paint. As long the gun keeps moving it is very difficult to get a run. The paint is only to be dry sanded. I will have to try sanding it down then buffing it out on a test piece, I never asked that question or tried it.

At Oshkosh Dan was explaining how to do repairs and then shoot and blend the paint. I have not had to see how well it works, but yes you can. If I screwed up, my guess is that sanding and re shooting would be easier unless that meant shooting a large area. I would use the blend if I had to fix a hole is a flying airplane. Fixing holes from sticks or rocks is is no different than the Polyfiber. If you have a bunch of junk in the paint, sanding down with 320 dry and then re shooting is easy and works well.

I always shoot the white primer down first before any color. It sands nicer than the grey eco fill, so I think you get a better finish. I only shoot a very light coat. If I sand through a bit, I just add a little more paint at the tack coat stage to that area. Many just shoot all the light colors over the dark grey ecofill, I don't think they have any color issues, more that it is likely not going to pop as bright as if it was on a light primer. I shoot 3 cross coat for coverage then one pass of the top coat with the flow opened a half more of a turn. 60% of the paint for the tack and 40% for the top coat seems about right. Black is about right with 2 cross coats but I usually add a 1/2 coat just to make sure.

I did not really perfectly answer your questions, but once I get this project done I will test blending and buffing so I can report back with a good answer

Second wing is done. Struts then the fuse goes in.

Looks great Troy!