Thread: Rotator stiffness

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rotator stiffness

I am at the point of installing the leading edge skins and figured I would put the wing on the rotator, set the washout and install the skins. Thinking being able to rotate the wing around for drilling access would be a good help. What I noticed is the rotator does not lock it solid. The only way to keep it solid seam to be to really torque the bolts of the strut arms at the frame location. Even then I would not trust it for not moving. So I plan to take it off to do the skins. My rotator is per the plans from Mitch.

When you guys covered the wing did you continually check the washout? I would think that the covering is what will give the wing some actually torsion capacity. How did you lock the washout in the rotator? I can't imagine the skin will stiffen the wing up that much?

Default Re: Rotator stiffness

The leading edge is what locks in the washout. Once the leading edges are installed on the saw horse it is not critical to keep the washout "perfect" in the rotator. In the six cub wings that I have done I set the washout on the sawhorse then didn't worry about it when it went in the rotator. All the wings sat perfect again on the sawhorse after cover.

Another local cub builder messed up his washout. He put to much in, the only way to get it out was to take the leading edges off and start over.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    I am at the point of installing the leading edge skins and figured I would put the wing on the rotator, set the washout and install the skins. Thinking being able to rotate the wing around for drilling access would be a good help. What I noticed is the rotator does not lock it solid. The only way to keep it solid seam to be to really torque the bolts of the strut arms at the frame location. Even then I would not trust it for not moving. So I plan to take it off to do the skins. My rotator is per the plans from Mitch.

When you guys covered the wing did you continually check the washout? I would think that the covering is what will give the wing some actually torsion capacity. How did you lock the washout in the rotator? I can't imagine the skin will stiffen the wing up that much?
    I would not try to install the skins while the wing is in the rotator. The rotator has too much flexbility. Keep it on the saw horses with the stratagically located block to keep the washout where it needs to be.

When you do put the wing in the rotator you will likely find that the washout will change a bit as you rotate it into different positions due to that flexibility.

Just going from my own experience with the washout I would encourage you to use your rotator for covering. I built the wings on horses with the washout block as instructed. I then covered the wings in a wing rack/rotator and to be honest did not give washout another thought until the wings were on. When I set the strut connectors to the 8 threads called up in the manual, the wings were perfect with one minor exception, that being the washout on one wing which I corrected by backing the threaded connector out by ONE thread. After all the times I moved and spun my wings on the rotisserie to have them come out this close to perfect was a major highlite for me during my build!
    I'm not sure how your rotator compares to the one I was using (I borrowed one from a fellow builder in AZ and it was a very solid rack) but I can't imagine trying to cover my wings on horses. If you're working alone for the most part like I was you're going to save yourself a lot of time and frustration by making use of your rack for the covering process.

Paul

Totally agree. Can't imagine putting on fabric or paint without a rotator.

but horses for the aluminum skins.

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Paul

Totally agree. Can't imagine putting on fabric or paint without a rotator.

but horses for the aluminum skins.
    No question. And don't they fit nice when you've have them all leveled and squared?!!
    Good clarification.
    Thanks
    PB

Thanks guys. Both wings are prepped for the LE skins. They will get installed on the horses. 3 weeks in and they close to done😀. Going good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Thanks guys. Both wings are prepped for the LE skins. They will get installed on the horses. 3 weeks in and they close to done😀. Going good so far.
    I built my wings on horses with the 1" block. I build rotators per mitch's drawing. I put the first wing in the rotator, attached the inboard and let the wing hang from a strap around the tip bow. I attached the links to the struts without putting any stress on them. I checked the washout with digital level & there was exactly .75 degrees. It flexes like a rag but remembers.