Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cub 617MR

Default Re: Cub 617MR

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    What was the fifth color on the door? I counted four.

what paint did you use on the inside of the door for the black and gray? PPG DUHS? Looks great.

i am done as of ttoday except for the window, which will wait until they are fitted after the wings are on. You are right about it being tedious and lots of trips to the paint booth.

I guess I counted the primer and four color coats. I think I had to prime the door three separate times to get all the pin holes out. I used a Ranthane Nevada Silver and PPG DUHS black. The silver is a bit brighter than the side panels but I like how it looks when the door is open. I painted my extended baggage grey but that seemed a little to boaring for the door!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    I guess I counted the primer and four color coats. I think I had to prime the door three separate times to get all the pin holes out. I used a Ranthane Nevada Silver and PPG DUHS black. The silver is a bit brighter than the side panels but I like how it looks when the door is open. I painted my extended baggage grey but that seemed a little to boaring for the door!
    I'm considering cub yellow for just that reason
    yellow was a winner at sun fun

Quote Originally Posted by lbell View Post
    I'm considering cub yellow for just that reason
    yellow was a winner at sun fun
    That makes me happy!!!

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Had a good day today. Mounted the propeller. Drained the preservation oil and filled it up with new Phillips. I pulled the bottom plugs out and motored the engine with the starter. I had 30 psi within a matter of seconds! Fitted the cowl back on and all panels. Borrowed some scales from my buddie and the weight came in at 981#! After that I pulled it out, put fuel in and started it for the first time. That was nice! Most of the Garmin configuration is done except for a com problem I am having. I also can't get the GTR mini flash drive to except the garmin upgrade.

I ran the weight and balance tonight and thought that I built a lemon! I was way aft on the CG, I thought the thing was going to be worthless! I then realized I used the formula for the standard gear, not the extended. Now I'm happy again. I can put on full fuel, two 275 pounders and 100+ pounds of bags and still be under weight and in GC. Now that's an airplane!!

Next I get to deal with the FAA. No DAR's in out in our neck of the woods!

Very nice. Time for some taxiing while waiting for the certification!

So no issues with first engine start. That's impressive.

Had the FAA inspection this morning. I have to say it was a great experience! No, I'm not kidding! Two inspectors came down, spent about 30 min looking over the airplane then about another 30 min on the paperwork. Issued my airworthness certificate and my temp repair certificate. Also gave me a 50nm ring to burn my 40 hours off. I was very happy about that.

First flight was great. I am absolutely amazed at how fast the airplane jumps off the ground! If you thought it climbed fast on your demo flight wait until you are solo!! Fist flight was about 20 min. I had the alternator field circuit breaker pop. Landed, called my man Mitch and we were able to trace it to a bad crows foot. He gave me a work around. I took it up and put another 1.5 hours on this evening. Cylinders 3 and 4 are running 425 and 440 at 70% power so it's a little hard to look at that CHT's in the yellow. I'm sure they will come down in the next few hours.

Life is good!!

Mike

Congrats!!!!!! So exciting. Work that engine hard. The temps will come down before the ten hour mark. I wonder what a broke in engine temp runs at that power setting. One would think the plenum is quite efficient. Fly it lots and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stunning! mouth_watering.gif

I admit to being addicted to the build threads here, you guys make it look so easy, and I am captivated by watching the planes come to life, step-by-step.

Wonderful to see another one flying. I'm not sure I will build the first one I might own, but I can only imagine the feeling of flying in something you built with your own hands...Makes me think about how I might be able to do it one day, in the hopes of feeling that thrill myself. Must be amazing.

Congrats from the peanut gallery, enjoy every second of it.

Larry.

Congratulations!

That is a fine looking plane and smiles on all of your family too.

I didnt think the FFA would still do inspections. When I asked them 5 years ago they were very discouraging about doing it.

Your temps sound normal for a new engine and right where you want them at this point. Once broken in you should see low to mid 300s. Mine never goes over 400 and that would only be in a WOT climb on a hot day.

A 50 mile ring is nice. That's what the DAR gave me too.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Cool Re: Cub 617MR

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Had the FAA inspection this morning. I have to say it was a great experience! No, I'm not kidding! Two inspectors came down, spent about 30 min looking over the airplane then about another 30 min on the paperwork. Issued my airworthness certificate and my temp repair certificate. Also gave me a 50nm ring to burn my 40 hours off. I was very happy about that.

First flight was great. I am absolutely amazed at how fast the airplane jumps off the ground! If you thought it climbed fast on your demo flight wait until you are solo!! Fist flight was about 20 min. I had the alternator field circuit breaker pop. Landed, called my man Mitch and we were able to trace it to a bad crows foot. He gave me a work around. I took it up and put another 1.5 hours on this evening. Cylinders 3 and 4 are running 425 and 440 at 70% power so it's a little hard to look at that CHT's in the yellow. I'm sure they will come down in the next few hours.

Life is good!!

Mike

Let the REAL FUN Begin !!!!!