Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cub 617MR

Default Re: Cub 617MR

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Nice!

when do you anticipate first flight?

Thanks guys, if all goes as planned it will be in the last week of May!

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Thanks guys, if all goes as planned it will be in the last week of May!
    Give me a shout when you finish it. We have a group of guys that fly around here in the Midwest. Infact we will likely be coming through Spearfish on our way to Johnson Creek Fathers day weekend.
    Jeffery Baber
    Innovation Aircraft Sales
    (844) ACSALES

Will do Jeff. Was there when they came through last year. Wish I could have joined you then!!

I got the front windshield installed today. It was a full eight hour job for me. It went very well. Only thing I did different from the manual was that I used the side window strips as a template to drill the holes where the well nuts go through the windshield. The manual say to just mark the center and drill, if you clamp the strips on and make your starter holes they come out perfect. The other thing I remembered is much I hate trix nuts!! Always have a few that will give you problems!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cubrath; 04-04-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Default Cub 617MR

This is a job I so wish you could do with out the wings on. I was going to make a jig but decided it wasn't worth the risk. I got measurement so I could at least mask and paint the dash while it is still off the plane.

Yours looks great. Every day is that much closer to the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree Troy. I asked Mitch about that a while back and he said don't attempt it. I can see why, it doesn't take much to move the top of the windshield up a quarter inch.

I got the front windshield installed today. It was a full eight hour job for me. It went very well. Only thing I did different from the manual was that I used the side window strips as a template to drill the holes where the well nuts go through the windshield. The manual say to just mark the center and drill, if you clamp the strips on and make your starter holes they come out perfect. The other thing I remembered is much I hate trix nuts!! Always have a few that will give you problems!!
    Just curious, what tool did you use to set the Trix nuts?

I used an Astro rivnut tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

which red did you use & did you have issues getting the paint to match painting the cowl at a different time?

I fit my cowl over the last few days. The factory makes it look so easy on the videos. I was pleasantly surprised when I started the fit. The holes for the bottom intake cover were predrilled and there was almost no trimming or sanding involved. It fit almost perfect from the start.

The oil door was a little more difficult. The factory started the trim in the top of the cowl. Didn't seem like a big deal at first but had to fit the hinge to the cowl first then to the door second. Opposit of the directions and video.

The fit of the cowl to the boot was nerve racking. The cost of failure is pretty high I'm guessing! My first trim was 1/2" and that was a little to much. If I had to do it again I would have done 3/8". It didn't fit as well as I wanted it to and I'm still not sure why. I obviously didn't have it lined up close enough. It is tough to keep it in the right place for that first cut. another nice surprise was that the front hole was cut to the final size by the factory. I wasn't expecting that.

I took extra time for the second cut and it paid off. I ended up with just under 3/8" spacing and my gap turned out very nice. It's nice to have that part of the project over. I really don't like that carbon fiber dust!!

I used an Astro rivnut tool.
    Would you recommend it?

i am about thirty days behind you and need to get a trix nut tool

chuck