Thread: New fuel

Default New fuel

Here is a new aircraft fuel.
    http://www.swiftenterprises.net/Swift%20Fuel.html
    As a Purdue Engineering grad I have some contacts there.
    I can probably get a tankfull or two of this new gas.
    Since my new Carbon Cub will be delivered as an ELSA I would not break any FAA rules if I burned Swiftfuel in the CC340 engine.
    The fuel has a motor octane rating of 104 and 15% more energy density.
    It also weighs 6.5 lbs/gal.
    Anyone at CC or elsewhere have comments or a problem with this??
    Bill Rice

Default Re: New fuel

Bill,

I believe you are correct, with an ELSA any fuel restrictions no longer apply. I'm sure we'd all appreciate some empirical data on this. Perhaps you can run a controlled test: fill one tank with the Swift fuel and one with 100LL. Then go out and get in a stable cruise and switch tanks at the same throttle setting, note the rpm, airspeed, and all engine temps. Your bird will have an autopilot so let that fly to remove the pilot variable. I look forwarding to hearing about it!
    Randy Lervold

Good post Bill,

Do you think this fuel will be available soon, any idea cost per gal in comparison with 100LL?

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Bill,

I believe you are correct, with an ELSA any fuel restrictions no longer apply. I'm sure we'd all appreciate some empirical data on this. Perhaps you can run a controlled test: perhaps fill one tank with the Swift fuel and one with 100LL. Then go out and get in a stable cruise and switch tanks at the same throttle setting, note the rpm, airspeed, and all engine temps. Your bird will have an autopilot so let that fly to remove the pilot variable. I look forwarding to hearing about it!
    Randy, we need to get some G100UL running in the Stroker 340. I would like to see the motor run on the test stand in Ada first. I have been following the latest unleaded fuel developments pretty closely. G100UL sure looks like the solution. George Braly has been exploring detonation margins with this fuel in turbocharged engines and found this fuel to have similar detonation margins to 100LL. I don't think TAT has tested this fuel in any engine with compression ratios higher than 8.5 to 1.

See this new article in AOPA Magazine (requires AOPA membership).
    Last edited by turbopilot; 04-24-2010 at 03:17 PM.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA