Thread: Test Fit Empennage

Default Test Fit Empennage

My advice - do it BEFORE cover & paint.

The manual suggests covering and painting the empennage after covering and finish painting. I followed the suggestions in the very nicely done and helpful series of build tips by "Chuck & Ryan" and it's a good thing I did. Picture shows the misalignment of the elevator horns.

All the parts in my kit manufactured by Cubcrafters fit perfectly, but the horizontal stabilizers and elevators are made by Univair - and their quality control sucks. Mitch was really good about immediately sending me a new set when the problem was identified. It would have been really pissofficating had I discovered this problem after they were covered and painted.003.jpg

Default Re: Test Fit Empennage

Because of the issues they've had with Univair Mitch said that they were going to start building the elevators and stabs in Yakima, shouldn't have anymore trouble with them after that happens.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Problem has not gone away, even in the Ex2 that CC builds them selves. I was confident following the manual was ok. Waiting for a return call from Mitch. I am painted so this could be really bad news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with assembly before cover. I'm glad I did that.

That is frustrating! I'm sure you checked but are the stabilizers level? If they are drooping might pull it out of alignment. Hard to tell how far off they are from the pictures.

Elevators are even, it's out vertically by about 1/8. They really need to change the manual. One of many places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sucks but hopefully you can get away with just recovering one new elevator. I'm sure one of them is right!