Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cap Strip Installation Rib #5

Default Rib # 1,3 and 5 Cap Strip Installation

Has anyone seen this on your wing build? I need some advice.

I am building the High GWT extended fuel wing and I'm ready to install the Cap Strips at Section 28 page 133 of my manual. I have heard it said not to drill or rivet thru fluting. That's the issue I see when I lay out and clamp the strip in position. Mitch is at AirVenture Oshkosh 2015 and has said to call, but I really don't want to bother him much this week.

I have taken some pictures of Sharpie marks where the predrilled holes of the cap strip line up on the doubled #5 rib. The Cap Strip clip alignment hole is centered and over the machined rib clip and positioned .44" off the top of the radius of the machined rib as shown in Fig. W45. All together there are 5 holes on the edge of fluting. The first two and the last are on the extra (doubled rib) and the third and forth are on the main rib near the highest point of the rise of the rib. All but one could be considered just outside the fluting, but the first hole forward of the aft spar seems well into it.

What's your experience with this?

IMG_4950.jpg

IMG_4953.jpg

IMG_4956.jpg

Jim Morrical
    Last edited by jmorrical; 08-31-2015 at 09:50 PM.

Default Re: Cap Strip Installation Rib #5

Sent you a PM

Lloyd

I moved mine so they missed the flutes.

Pete
    CCK-1865-0078
    ️N9PW
    Severna Park, MD
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Quote Originally Posted by N867SP View Post
    I moved mine so they missed the flutes.

Pete
    CCK-1865-0078
    ️N9PW
    Severna Park, MD
    Do you mean you drilled new holes for those over fluting?

Jim Morrical

Correct, I had about five spots that interfered and I just drilled new ones that did not interfere with the flutes. Check to insure that you have the cap strips installed/located dimensionally in the correct location first.

Pete
    CCK-1865-0078
    ️N9PW
    Severna Park, MD
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Mitch talked to the factory and they see the same issue. They use the predrilled holes in the cap strip as the correct location for match drilling holes in rib #5 and do not drill additional new holes. Some holes do impinge into fluting. They set the Cap Strip clip alignment hole according to the manual and flatten the necessary fluting to insure a sound hole for a good rivet set. The rib won't lose it's shape. They have adapted a "close quarters" dimpler that keeps the rib formed edges more intact also.

That's how I'll proceed and use my rivet squeezer to flatten only as necessary for the rivet placement.

Jim Morrical

Since I started this thread about #5 Cap Strip I have moved on to the other cap strips. It seems practical to rename the thread to include all the cap strips and discussion about them here. I don't know that I can do that but I've tried here.

Since I've seen no instruction in the manual I have decided not to trim the forward end of #1 and #3 Cap Strips like the manual instructed with #5 Cap Strip. Is that the correct decision?

I have a question about rib #1 top cap strip. I have drilled and counter sunk the Cherry Max rivets (HDW-CR3212-4-2) that secure the strip to the #1 main rib. When I started to rivet the nut-plates after the first rivet was installed I notices that it's a flush or counter sunk rivet head. There is no instruction to counter sink these rivets (HDW-04-00981) so I wonder if I got the correct hardware. Can someone confirm that I likely have the correct rivet and just need to counter sink them to secure the nut plates?

Jim Morrical
    Last edited by jmorrical; 08-31-2015 at 10:21 PM.

I had all the same concerns as you and tried to match it as close to the drawing as I could. In my kit both cap strip #3 was the same mark but the ends are different measurements. So that would mean the holes would be different in both wings. I cut them to make them the same. About 3/4" of the ends of each. It got riveted like number 5 before the skin when on. Cap #1 did not need to be cut and got riveted the same. Why the manual has this after the skins I do not know. I guess you just tuck it under the skin.

You will need to countersink for the nut plate rivets. I used all solid rivets and dimpled these cap strips......just because I prefer solids and have lots kicking around. Nut plates I counter sunk so the supplied nut plated worked.

I'm ready to install the bottom cap strip at rib #1.

When I clamp the strip in place observing the hole positioning shown in the drawing in my High GWT Extended Fuel Wing Manual Section 48, Page 174, FIG W59 I get the positioning shown in the pictures below. I set holes #4 and #5 at the forward end of the strip to straddle the spar like the drawing shows. When I do that at the other end I see that the cap strip simply butts up against the aft rib cutout at the false spar skin. There is no overlap to tie the cap strip into the rear false spar rib/skin as the drawing shows. I am cautious to move it one way or the other because of the warning in the section about hole position.

What is the "RED" caution in that section warning me about? It says each end of the caps strip has a different measurement from the end of the first hole. The end with the long measurement goes towards the rear false spar…."

What is critical about positioning the holes in this strip? And should the cap strip at the aft false spar end fit between the aft false spar skin and its first rib and be riveted together to tie it all in?

IMG_5214.jpg

IMG_5211.jpg

Jim Morrical
    Last edited by jmorrical; 09-01-2015 at 10:29 AM.

Push the cap strip back until it is close to the radius. It needs the over lap. I found there was several useless holes in that strip. I even drilled new ones in the nose rib as I found the edge distance was to close on the rib flange. I seem to remember when the strip was near the radius of the false spar, one hole was just on the edge of the main spar like the drawings showed. A hole that was not going to get used as it did not align with anything. Several other holes on the aft end of the strip was the same issue. Place the strip to make the most of the holes was my best guess, and make sure you have the over lap at the aft end.

I was quite disappointing with the quality/planning of this area. It really should be much better planned. They say if something is not working you are doing something wrong. Well many things did not work very well so I must have messed up lots. After building many pre punched kits, this wing is a disappointment. Looks great built, but not what i thought it would be to get there for the price.