Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cap Strip Installation Rib #5

Default Install Bottom Cap Strip Rib #1

Just talked with Mitch about the Red warning. My first mistake was misinterpreting the drawing of the strip installation and by rotating my strip 180* I got the correct fit and hole positioning as shown in the drawings.

The warning needs to have been worded better. It seems that the number of rivets in the fwd and aft ribs is important. The intent was to ensure there are two each pre drilled holes for match drilling the strip to both the nose rib and the trailing edge false spar ribs. Each of these ribs is to have two Cherry Max rivets attaching the cap strip. The holes would line up out side of each spar of course. These holes would have the same flush Cherry Max rivets called for in the cap strip instructions. This is not counting the third rivet (HDW-SS/SS42D) for the leading edge and trailing edge false spar ribs that ties the rib, skin and cap strip together.

Also, I confirmed there is no trimming the length of cap strips #1 or 3.

He cautioned installing cap strips before leading edge skins. I still don't see how you can do this and get the strip / hole positioning shown. The bottom cap needs to be overlapped by the leading edge skin so that it can all be riveted together with the bottom rivet of the skin. When I got the strip positioned there isn't any way to get the first cap strip rivet at the leading edge installed with the last skin pulled into place. That's how it works out for me anyway.

Jim Morrical
    Last edited by jmorrical; 09-03-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Default Install Bottom Cap Strip Rib #1

I finished the leading edge skins and decided to finish cap strips before moving to the wing tip.

It took half a day to finally get an understanding of how to install the bottom cap strip at rib #1. I believed that the RED note was critical and drove strip position for the installation. I didn't think that was to be compromised and expected it to be correct. Mitch took my phone call at the Alaska State Fair and I'm back on track. After a long talk we found a mistake in the wording. I wanted to correct any confusion my last post may have caused.

My starting point was the RED warning note in Section 48 that says: The end with the long measurement (to the first prepunched hole) goes toward the rear false spar. Well, that is not a correct statement. The end of the strip that has the longest distance to the first hole actually goes to the leading edge end. The end of the strip with the shortest distance to the first hole goes to the trailing edge end of the wing. The strip is 42" long with a total of 27 holes in the strip. I was beginning to think I had the wrong part. Only 23 holes get rivets and you may find two rivets with less that minimum edge distance. Further, the 14 hole side of the strip is placed inboard or caping the rib that is glued to the main rib. The 13 hole side of the strip is then outboard or caping the actual #1 rib. If you do this and position the holes like the drawing at Page 174, FIG W59 of the High GWT Extended Fuel Manual you have the correct installation.

Sorry for the confusion of the last post. Glad that's done!

Jim Morrical
    Last edited by jmorrical; 09-05-2015 at 12:17 PM. Reason: To correct what I thought was the correct install and errors in previous post.

Default Re: Cap Strip Installation Rib #5

I'm building the EX (extended fuel) and I have not been able to work on it for about two months. Flooding here in SE Texas, travel, long bike ride and distractions.

I stopped at the point ready to install the #3 rib top cap strip for the right wing. When I laid out the remaining strip with the pre drilled nut plate holes in the correct position I noticed that the strip was not long enough to reach and extend under the leading edge skins where the top rivet hole had already been drilled to tie it all together. My kit inventory of parts included two SC31054-009 cap strips.

Long story short: There should have been one strip SC31054-009 for the left wing and one SC31054-010 for the right wing.

Mitch sent the missing strip…I am back to work.

Jim Morrical

Default Re: Install Bottom Cap Strip Rib #1

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    I finished the leading edge skins and decided to finish cap strips before moving to the wing tip.

It took half a day to finally get an understanding of how to install the bottom cap strip at rib #1. I believed that the RED note was critical and drove strip position for the installation. I didn't think that was to be compromised and expected it to be correct. Mitch took my phone call at the Alaska State Fair and I'm back on track. After a long talk we found a mistake in the wording. I wanted to correct any confusion my last post may have caused.

My starting point was the RED warning note in Section 48 that says: The end with the long measurement (to the first prepunched hole) goes toward the rear false spar. Well, that is not a correct statement. The end of the strip that has the longest distance to the first hole actually goes to the leading edge end. The end of the strip with the shortest distance to the first hole goes to the trailing edge end of the wing. The strip is 42" long with a total of 27 holes in the strip. I was beginning to think I had the wrong part. Only 23 holes get rivets and you may find two rivets with less that minimum edge distance. Further, the 14 hole side of the strip is placed inboard or caping the rib that is glued to the main rib. The 13 hole side of the strip is then outboard or caping the actual #1 rib. If you do this and position the holes like the drawing at Page 174, FIG W59 of the High GWT Extended Fuel Manual you have the correct installation.

Sorry for the confusion of the last post. Glad that's done!

Jim Morrical
    Thanks for this post. I am at that point and they must have changed the manual as Fig. W59 doesn't have any drawings or diagrams or even reference to the bottom strip at all except to show where it starts at the tail rib and shows that it's centered on the double ribs!! No callout for rivet or anything. Guess they just deleted the wrong info and didn't put the correct details!

Also, I note that the W59 also calls for 7 nutplates and rivets (in the type) but the drawing AND the capstrip 1 & 3 only have 5 predrilled. I then will ASSUME that the 7 is a typo and it should be 7??

Also, It says in the written instructions to be sure nutplates are installed in the Tank Extension Skin. There are predrilled nutplate holes for 7 nutplates but then in looking at the W59, it shows what looks like 2 more nutplates (on on either inboard side) that are going in the opposite direction as the 7 nutplates that are predrilled on it. No instructions on if we are suppose to install those or not?? They look like they would line up with the nutplates on the #3 capstrip (so would be a continuation of that line of nutplates) but they show that nutplate on the inboard side of the #1 strip and all the nutplates on the #1 cap is on the inboard side.....so they would not line up. Makes no sense and there is no written instructions at all??

Lots of little things that takes up all the time.

IMG_6767.jpg

There are 4 nut plates, one in each corner (5 on the cap strip plus two at each end = 7). They are not really mentioned and difficult to see in the drawings. Go to the Drop Box pictures and you will have a better idea.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    There are 4 nut plates, one in each corner (5 on the cap strip plus two at each end = 7). They are not really mentioned and difficult to see in the drawings. Go to the Drop Box pictures and you will have a better idea.
    Spoke with Mitch and he agreed manual was a bit fuzzy. Here is the jist of it for other to know next time.

There is a total of 28 nut plates that go around the fuel bays (extended fuel). PRE-DRILLED are 5 on each capstrip (#1 and #3); 7 on the nose skin; 7 on the extension skin. That is 24. Then YOU HAVE TO DRILL AND INSTALL 4 MORE. You don't do this until AFTER the fuel tank is installed.

1 nut-plate goes on each corner. The one on the #1 capstrip at the nose skin area will go inboard side of the double rib aligned with the other nutplates on #1 capstrip. Center the center hole on the line of nutplates going across the nose skin.

1 nutplate goes on the #3 capstrip at the nose skin and is in line with the other nutplates on the #3 capstrip and the center hole is also centered with the nose skin nutplates.

1 nutplate goes on the #3 capstrip at the expansion skin and is also inline with the other nutplates on the #3 capstrip with the center hole aligned with the nutplates on the expansion skin going inboard to outboard.

The last nutplate is the "different" one. It is installed on the #1 capstrip at the expansion skin but is NOT ALIGNED with the other nutplates on the #1 capstrip, but instead, is more outboard and aligned with the rivets in the #1 capstrip with the hole centered on the nutplates on the expansion skin.

None of these are installed at the time of installing the capstrips but are installed only AFTER the fuel tanks are installed and are installed with the capstrips already installed. (whew!!)

Thanks for letting me know.
    Last edited by Daveembry; 07-26-2016 at 07:20 PM.

I appreciate the help I've gotten from Mitch. The instruction, encouragement and patience he gave me thru the first wing met my expectations. For someone who has never tackled this kind of project having no familiarity with the tools, techniques and technical things like riveting, drilling out rivets, knowing if this or that was acceptable, etc. I needed lots of phone calls to reach a level of confidence. Mitch took them all and I have learned a lot. When I first began talking to my EAA Chapter members about my new kit they asked to see the manual. They asked me what I thought of it. I felt it was great, but then i found as a first time builder I encounters many slow downs because of the manual. For $160,000 investment I would tell my EAA buddies that there are some shortcomings in the wing manual at least. I am loving the build, but sometimes frustrated by the manual.

I do not like to throw stones, but would say CubCrafters needs to refresh and make improvements in wording and correct errors in the manual. All the sections should to be reviewed, reworded or rewritten to improve it where necessary. All the text and figures need to be reviewed. I've spent a lot of time in a zone of confusion about some things. I don't understand why they haven't updated the errors we all find and know about on the DropBox manuals. I was expecting that would be the case and the DropBox manual would be our gold standard. That just doesn't seem to happen.

I'm building the EX and have wondered if the EX2 manual was improved.

Bottom line is that I got thru the wings, but spent lots of time unsure, trying to figure it out or talking to Mitch when a corrected manual would have cut some of that time.

Jim Morrical
    Last edited by jmorrical; 07-26-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    I appreciate the help I've gotten from Mitch. The instruction, encouragement and patience he gave me thru the first wing met my expectations. For someone who has never tackled this kind of project having no familiarity with the tools, techniques and technical things like riveting, drilling out rivets, knowing if this or that was acceptable, etc. I needed lots of phone calls to reach a level of confidence. Mitch took them all and I have learned a lot. When I first began talking to my EAA Chapter members about my new kit they asked to see the manual. They asked me what I thought of it. I felt it was great, but then i found as a first time builder I encounters many slow downs because of the manual. For $160,000 investment I would tell my EAA buddies that there are some shortcomings in the wing manual at least. I am loving the build, but sometimes frustrated by the manual.

I do not like to throw stones, but would say CubCrafters needs to refresh and make improvements in wording and correct errors in the manual. All the sections should to be reviewed, reworded or rewritten to improve it where necessary. All the text and figures need to be reviewed. I've spent a lot of time in a zone of confusion about some things. I don't understand why they haven't updated the errors we all find and know about on the DropBox manuals. I was expecting that would be the case and the DropBox manual would be our gold standard. That just doesn't seem to happen.

I'm building the EX and have wondered if the EX2 manual was improved.

Bottom line is that I got thru the wings, but spent lots of time unsure, trying to figure it out or talking to Mitch when a corrected manual would have cut some of that time.

Jim Morrical
    Yes, I think the stress of the "unknown" adds a lot to it as well as being worried that we are not making a mistake. I've finished the first wing and the 2nd one is like riding a bicycle and will be at least twice as fast because I know I spent at least 50% of my time trying to follow the manual, look at Dropbox photos, review videos, etc.

If everyone would post things that they see need more clarification, correction or improvements on here with boos thread subject lines.....it would be very helpful (just as you did in this thread). A constant manual update as errors are found or more clarification needed would sure help ALOT but until then, we can all help each other.

Thanks for this thread you did!

Jim and Dave et.al,

I am charging in to my build on my EX2 standard tank CC and fully agree. The plane will be great, the parts are fantastic, Mitch has been very helpful, but the manual is a surprising disappointment. The dropbox version is not up to date.

I agree with having everyone post errors on these forums, but really?? why should we have to? I have spent many hours reading them to help avoid problems that should be constantly resolved real time and posted to the dropbox manuals.

I like reading the posts from Troy and Chuck and many others on the neat things they have thought of and done during their builds (map pockets, wing holders, paint selection, floats, skis, etc.)

Thank you to all who post and help those of us on underway this great project!

David

Rib caps #1 and #3

About two years ago I wrote up the following tips on rib caps 1 and 3, but never posted it on this forum. So I will do so now in case it will be of any value.

1. Locating the cap on rib #1 is no problem since the aft end is pushed all the way aft. But the cap on rib #3 [extended fuel] does not have an obvious alignment point. So where should it be located?

Both rib caps are pre drilled for the nut plates. I wanted the nut plates on the two rib caps to line up, left to right. Run a straight edge from corresponding nut plate holes on the two caps and measure from a reference point, left to right. Bingo. You got it lined up.

DSC_0386.jpg

2. Check the ribs on the bottom side of the location where the nut plates will go. Several will be fluted. Mark the center point of those nut plates, remove the rib cap, then use the rivet squeezer to flatten the locations where the nut plates will go.

DSC_0381.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg