Thread: PAINT: Technique Taping Curves??

Default PAINT: Technique Taping Curves??

Any suggestions on laying a nice - steady - curve with tape? I'm doing a three tone (Silver, Yellow and Black) scheme...with Yellow onto of the silver.

Using the 3M Plastic 1/4" tape helps, but it's tough to not get straight sections or points. The only thought I have is getting the 'swoosh' badge from the factory/Mitch to act as a guide for the curves.

Then obvious next question is getting tips on duplicating the curve on the other side... which doesn't have the door or the baggage for reference points.

IMG_9016.jpg

Paint Layout Model.jpg
    Last edited by gderamel; 07-20-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Default Re: PAINT: Technique Taping Curves??

I'm just about at the same stage of painting and wanting the curve scheme also.I have in the past used an overhead projector to mark schemes on helicopters and made up a transparency with the aircraft outline and scheme on it then beamed it on to the side of the aeroplane.Once you have done this you can take a China graph marking pencil and mark the lines on to your machine.Once you have this simply mask up these marks with fine line tape.You will have to move the projector away or towards the aircraft to get the projected lines where you want them.
    hope it gos well
    Kenny Edwards
    Aussie CC
    Brisbane
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Edwards View Post
    I have in the past used an overhead projector to mark schemes on helicopters and made up a transparency with the aircraft outline and scheme on it then beamed it on to the side of the aeroplane.Once you have done this you can take a China graph marking pencil and mark the lines on to your machine.Once you have this simply mask up these marks with fine line tape.You will have to move the projector away or towards the aircraft to get the projected lines where you want them.
    Thanks! I'll keep that tip in mind.

Just another suggestion, You will get a much better curved line if you use 1/2-3/4" blue or green fine line tape when doing a long gradual curve like the CC design. The wider tape maintains a more consistent edge in the curved line versus using 1/4" tape which will give you lots of variations.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

I have a template if anybody wants it, however I would want it back. If you're going to paint it the traditional cubcrafters scheme.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gary H; 01-02-2016 at 12:51 PM.

I am ready to paint contrasting color of a classic CubCrafters scheme on my fuselage. I am using 3/4" fine line tape. The EX manual figure has a fuselage profile showing 3 or 4 dimensions to position the CubCrafters Swoosh. I am using the CubCrafters provided vinyl kit including fuselage stripes and have laid them out to help define the paint line.

Does anyone have other experience or suggestions to help me make this go well?

Is there a definitive posting on the Forum that describes how best to put down all these vinyl stickers and emblems? I have no experience with these things.

IMG_1839.jpg
    Last edited by jmorrical; 11-13-2020 at 07:53 AM.
    Jim Morrical

Jim

1. First paint the bottom color of the fuse and make sure it is far enough up the side of the fuselage that you will have at least 6" of bottom color above the point at which your top stripe will be placed.
    2. Having the fuse in the rotator and on its side makes it much easier to position and apply the stripes. When cutting out the stripe from the other graphics on the sheet, I like to cut as close to the top of the stripes as I can because I’ll be using this edge as a reference for the bottom edge of the top color. When cutting the bottom edge of the stripe, if the space is available, I like to leave as much room as I can 3-4” between the cut and the bottom of the stripe available. The more width you have the easier it is to handle for positioning. That excess can be cut off later just before you start actually applying the stripe. Now position the stripe and tape it in place.
    3. Once in place, I cut enough 1” strips of tape to butt up all along the top edge of the stripe, every 3-6” apart. The closer together the more precise you can be. The bottom of these strips will be used as your guide as you apply your stripe. This is why I cut as close as possible to the top edge of the strip.
    4. Now with the stripe taped in positioned start from the aft end pulling off the backing paper (down and away at a 45 degrees) sticking the stripe to the fuse following the 1” tape strips.
    5. If you are using a soap water mix to apply the stripe, I normally would not use water on the first 6” or so of stripe because it’s so thin at that point it may keep coming off because there is so little sticking surface if you don’t get all the water squeegeed out from under the stripe. You can then use the water method for the remaining stripe. You may find out that you can apply the entire strip without the water mixture because you are only applying short portions of the stripe at one time. Beginners applying the larger graphics should use the water soap mix because it gives you more of an opportunity to adjust for mistakes. When using the water method you will need to let the graphic dry for a couple hours before removing the mask from the top.
    6. Hope this makes sense, if not call me if you have any question 425-417-7943, I’ll be glad to and give you pointers.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA