I got to spend one night at Minam River Lodge on the way to Johnson Creek. It was a pretty special place, thought I would share some of what I learned.

Minam River Lodge was purchased by a new owner about 3 years ago and is in the process of undergoing a complete upgrade. There are new cabins with their own bathrooms, water and power ready to stay in. A new shower/bathroom building for tent, wall tent and tee pee campers. The lodge will be rebuilt hopefully for next season. Everything is bigger/better/newer but it still feels rustic. The old lodge is still in use but limits the number of guests they can handle due to the size of the kitchen. All of the food is amazing, including the coffee which was some of the best coffee I've ever had, all thanks to Chef D. That's right, a real chef, not just a cook.

One of the neatest parts of the place is the wood heated wooden hot tub. It was dark when we went over to sit in it so didn't get any photos, you'll have to go check it out for yourself!

Options for getting there are limited. You can hike or horse back in (about 8 miles) or fly in. There is a 206 that will bring people in from Enterprise, OR. Flying in is fun, though it is a back country strip in an area that gets hot with high density altitude in the afternoon. The strip is well maintained grass/gravel/dirt with a bit of a dogleg roughly 2/3 down the runway. Located halfway-ish between La Grande, OR and Joseph, OR. It is on the chart.

Accommodations run from camping under the wing to a private cabin along with Tee Pees, Wall Tents, and possibly a bunk room? I believe the fee for spending the night also covers food while you are there and use of the wood fired hot tub.

Can't wait to go back.

http://www.theminamlodge.com/

Attachment 4138
Minam River Lodge is below that big ridge and slightly to the left of center.

Attachment 4139
The about halfway down and looking towards Red's Horse Ranch

Attachment 4140
The old lodge

Attachment 4141
Inside the dining room

Attachment 4142
Living room at the lodge

Attachment 4143
Green house and garden near the airstrip

Attachment 4144
New cabins for guests and bunkhouse for staff