Thread: Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0107 Arrived Safe 7/8/15

Default Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0107 Arrived Safe 7/8/15

Hi My Carbon Cub EX kit arrived save to Cooperstown, NY on 7/08/15. In Its 3000 mile journey it faired well with a little scare as the wood frame that supports the tail of the fuselage was broke in pieces and the fuselage dropped down on some of the boxes but it looks like all is O.K. I would suggest a center support post right under the center of the cross brace to the bottom of the crate to prevent this. Just a thought.
    I will be starting the build right away and am sure there will be many questions and I hear this is the place to ask them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hondapro19; 07-09-2015 at 12:36 PM. Reason: add photo

Default Re: Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0107 Arrived Safe 7/8/15

Raymond,

Glad your kit looks OK. Enjoy the build.

I picked mine up at a freight depot in North East Houston because I had no way to get it offloaded in my neighborhood. A friend loaned her 18' utility trailer and the depot loaded it for me. That put me about 4' closer to the ground than the simi truck bed! A yaupon tree at the driveway, a little water on the deck of the trailer and a tow strap worked. I drove the trailer out from under the kit, down the ramp and it all landed very smoothly. For now I work in my 20' X 24' garage.

My kit was delivered in February and I am ready to start leading edge skin on the first wing.

My kit S/N: CCK-1865-0110. Wondering how yours is 0107 and was just delivered?

IMGP1655.jpg

IMG_4907.jpg

Jim Morrical

I'm not sure why mine is lower than yours but I orderd it hours before the EX-2 kit was replacing it at Fun and sun. On April 20th to beat the price increase and requested a mid July ship date for aroundy wife and I's birthdays. Must be they don't sell them in exact serial order.

Quick question for ya'll... did you order the 3 kits first, and will eventually get the FWF items at a later date? Or did you buy it complete? I'm interested in builidng the new EX-2, but unsure of how it's normally done.

If you don't mind me asking, what options did you get? And why?

Nozz

Nozz,

Understand that I have no experience in General Aviation in recent years. I have learned so much thru this experience and at my local EAA Chapter #302 here in Conroe, TX. I spent 20 years flying helicopters in the Army and 24 years flying the airlines. I've said that to tell you that others wouldn't have made my choices. But this is how I got to the Carbon Cub EX.

The first decision was what airplane did I want to build. I don't think a LSA is what I want. Truthfully, although I hope to, I may never fly this airplane. It could be I hand it down to my daughter or sell it. I'm 67 and in good health with a medical, so I decided to build toward 1865#GWT for the operational flexibility. With that capability the extended fuel and baggage area seemed the right thing to do. The Alpha Omega Suspension, 3X3 Extended Gear and 3200-type Tail Wheel were added because of advice of another builder. He suggested off airport handling improvements are worth the money to the kind of people who would want a CCub EX. I settled on 8.50X6 tires because I would operate it mostly off hard surface rwys for now, but I wanted a little higher profile.

I'm retired from flying professionally and enjoy the technology and situational awareness benefits of the Executive Glass Touch package w/ the GDL 39R ADS-B of course. Oh, and I did add the Garmin Dual Axis A/P because I wanted it and because of some advice suggested adding it to this $160,000+ build is not foolish thinking…why not! For safety reasons I added the full Lighting/Strobe w/ Right Landing Lt (Wig-Wag). Lastly I chose the CubCrafters kit because I saw it as a kit I could build in the time I have available…that time is largely driven by my age. At my EAA Chapter there are a lot of Van's but that's not the kind of flying I want to do. I do enjoy watching and learning what their kit is all about. I think it's possible to finish and fly this for a couple years so I'm excited about it and what I've learned so far.

Jim Morrical

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    Nozz,

Understand that I have no experience in General Aviation in recent years. I have learned so much thru this experience and at my local EAA Chapter #302 here in Conroe, TX. I spent 20 years flying helicopters in the Army and 24 years flying the airlines. I've said that to tell you that others wouldn't have made my choices. But this is how I got to the Carbon Cub EX.

The first decision was what airplane did I want to build. I don't think a LSA is what I want. Truthfully, although I hope to, I may never fly this airplane. It could be I hand it down to my daughter or sell it. I'm 67 and in good health with a medical, so I decided to build toward 1865#GWT for the operational flexibility. With that capability the extended fuel and baggage area seemed the right thing to do. The Alpha Omega Suspension, 3X3 Extended Gear and 3200-type Tail Wheel were added because of advice of another builder. He suggested off airport handling improvements are worth the money to the kind of people who would want a CCub EX. I settled on 8.50X6 tires because I would operate it mostly off hard surface rwys for now, but I wanted a little higher profile.

I'm retired from flying professionally and enjoy the technology and situational awareness benefits of the Executive Glass Touch package w/ the GDL 39R ADS-B of course. Oh, and I did add the Garmin Dual Axis A/P because I wanted it and because of some advice suggested adding it to this $160,000+ build is not foolish thinking…why not! For safety reasons I added the full Lighting/Strobe w/ Right Landing Lt (Wig-Wag). Lastly I chose the CubCrafters kit because I saw it as a kit I could build in the time I have available…that time is largely driven by my age. At my EAA Chapter there are a lot of Van's but that's not the kind of flying I want to do. I do enjoy watching and learning what their kit is all about. I think it's possible to finish and fly this for a couple years so I'm excited about it and what I've learned so far.

Jim Morrical
    Jim, thanks for the SA. I'm thinking exactly what you're thinking, especially with options. I might go with the 26" tires as we're moving from SPS to SEA and looking forward to back country flying. I just finished my USAF career and am starting my 757/767 training. I figure to build the EX when I'm sitting reserve or between trips.

Did you buy the entire kit all at once, including the FWF?

Nozz

I ordered all nessesary components to build the complete aircraft considering things I could not upgrade later like extended range fuel tanks all lighting opions and my panal. I think it is a good deal because it is totally complete and as you build all components are easily installed during the build. I did opt for the 26" tires and the bush wheel tail wheel up front as I live on a grass field in the country. Later I can add things like the Voss struts and the smaller stuff. Plus's freight is less by getting the whole deal together. I orderd everything at once in April so I'm not sure about the serial number thing but its just a number I suppose.

Nozz,

I ordered the wing, fuselage and finish kits and all options first. That all shipped in the box. What you see in the picture below all fit in my 20X24 ft garage. The fuselage just fit. All the bundles, boxes and all fit easily on two commercial shelves from a big box store. You can see the fuel tanks, engine cowl and tail feathers on the top shelves. The flaps and ailerons are still in their shipment boxes on the floor under the fuselage. The wing struts and remaining two right wing spars are mounted overhead on the joist out of the way. I have been successfully building the first wing there.

By end of year I expect to order the Engine/FWF and Instrument Kit.

IMGP1648.jpg

IMGP1679.jpg

IMG_4907.jpg

Jim Morrical
    Last edited by jmorrical; 07-13-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    Nozz,

I ordered the wing, fuselage and finish kits and all options first. That all shipped in the box. What you see in the picture below all fit in my 20X24 ft garage. The fuselage just fit. All the bundles, boxes and all fit easily on two commercial shelves from a big box store. You can see the fuel tanks, engine cowl and tail feathers on the top shelves. The flaps and ailerons are still in their shipment boxes on the floor under the fuselage. The wing struts and remaining two right wing spars are mounted overhead on the joist out of the way. I have been successfully building the first wing there.

By end of year I expect to order the Engine/FWF and Instrument Kit.

IMGP1648.jpg

IMGP1679.jpg

IMG_4907.jpg

Jim Morrical
    Jealous. That looks like an absolute blast. I think I'll order like you did. First 3 kits, then the FWF with Gucci avionics.

James

Hello Hondapro19,

Thank you for posting the pictures of how your EX kit arrived. We have passed these pictures along to the individuals who crate the kit. They believe that they can use a laminate material in that particular location. This would provide a sturdier attach point.

Since we started offering our kit we have received quite a number of accolades for our kit packaging and we are always looking for ways to improve. Thank you again for sharing the pictures with us and we are glad that everything arrived safely.

I look forward to seeing your EX build progress.
    Max Platts
    Builder Assist Program Coordinator
    CubCrafters