Thread: MyPanel?? ADS-B???

Default MyPanel?? ADS-B???

What does MyPanel mean. I see in photos a large blank panel. I am guessing an iPad fits there with one of the ForeFlight, FlyQ efb, etc applications. Is this correct or is something else placed there.

Next question When ADS-B becomes mandatory what will be the necessary equipment to fill this requirement.

Default Re: MyPanel?? ADS-B???

There are several systems that are currently available and I'm sure they'll be more and more manufacturers coming out with other systems as the 2020 deadline approaches. There is a complete standalone unit from a company called Freeflight systems that offers an all in one ADS-B in and out solution for about $3700. Garmin, Advanced Flight, and Dynon also offer their on setups. Basically, you need a a "certified" WAAS GPS position source and a way to transmit that poison, which is usually done via an extended squitter mode S transponder. If you want the benefits of receiving free traffic and weather, you'll also need a receiver such as a Garmin GDL 39. In my RV-7, I have the first generation G3X (which has a WAAS GPS) but it's not "certified". I'm hoping that Garmin will come out with an inexpensive solution that will be easy to integrate into my current setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another possibility is that the requirement for a "certified" GPS source will be modified so that boxes such as the G3X are deemed in "substantial compliance" with the reg, or something like that. This seems to me to be (another?) case of technology outpacing the regulations.
    Bill Gillen
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by bgillen View Post
    Another possibility is that the requirement for a "certified" GPS source will be modified so that boxes such as the G3X are deemed in "substantial compliance" with the reg, or something like that. This seems to me to be (another?) case of technology outpacing the regulations.
    That's what I'm hoping for....and I totally agree with you regarding technology outpacing regulations. I can understand the need for "certified" equipment for commercial aircraft, but for us G.A. guys, the technology that's already imbedded into our modern equipment should be more than sufficient. If I'm not mistaken, the WAAS GPS that's in the G3X is very accurate and has no more than about a five to ten foot position discrepancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I understand from a Garmin rep that, for the time being, the G3X Touch (and associated boxes) in my CC gives me full ADS-B in and out functionality. That may change, but for now the signal I transmit is sufficient to "wake up" the ATC computers and obtain full ADS-B service. With any luck, it would just stay that way thru 2020 and beyond.

Getting back to the original question though, my understanding of MyPanel is that you can customize it to whatever you want, and an iPad running Foreflight is among the possibilities. Ditto a used Garmin 496 if you want to save a few bucks. I'm sure the Cubcrafters sales guys could offer you a broad range of possibilities.
    Bill Gillen
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by fredq View Post
    What does MyPanel mean. I see in photos a large blank panel. I am guessing an iPad fits there with one of the ForeFlight, FlyQ efb, etc applications. Is this correct or is something else placed there.
    I have a Airbox Clarity and a Dynon D2 placed there but I'm planning to change the Airbox to an iPad Mini in the near future.

I've been very pleased with the MyPanel concept and it means I can swap out for more modern gear without any great hassle or cost.

Here in NZ ADS-B is coming but not until 2020 so it's a wait and see what comes up game. I hope the MyPanel will serve me well in this regard too.
    Bob Gray, FX-3 #38, ZK-FXC