Thread: Install fair leads with circlips for the aileron cable

Default Install fair leads with circlips for the aileron cable

I'm on the first wing build. Does anyone have a solution for getting the clips in place?

Jim

Default Re: Install fair leads with circlips for the aileron cable

Hi Jim
    Ive got a sketch of a tool I made up for fitting those clips send me your email as I've had trouble attaching on this forum... My address. Kenedwardsqld@gmail.com.
    Regards
    kenny Edwards
    Aussie carbon Cub

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    I'm on the first wing build. Does anyone have a solution for getting the clips in place?

Jim
    Ya - they're a bugger. On my second wing I installed the fairleads in the ribs before riveting the ribs to the spars. Makes it a little more difficult to pull the rib to spar rivets, but still lots easier than installing the fairleads after the ribs are in place.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiller View Post
    Ya - they're a bugger. On my second wing I installed the fairleads in the ribs before riveting the ribs to the spars. Makes it a little more difficult to pull the rib to spar rivets, but still lots easier than installing the fairleads after the ribs are in place.
    I spread the clips a bit then drew them back with pliers.

Default Re: Install fairleads with circlips for the aileron cable

Kenny,

Thanks for the sketch of your solution. I bought a cheep tool and tried without success. Clips were flying around my cluttered garage and I was lucky to find them. My fingers are tired and sore. I watched YouTube solutions where auto mechanics were installing larger Circlip to secure wrist pins in pistons. Adapting what I saw I ended with this method and SUCCESS.

I used a 13/16" deep socket, bent the working end of the Circlip out about 1/16" and was able to press the clips into place. The idea is to use the edge of the socket (not my sore fingers) to press the clip into place incrementally with outside pressure and a twist or turning motion keeping the socket pressed into the fairlead. The point of contact between the clip and socket is where the clip needs to be pushed over the edge of the fairlead into place. The outward bend helps the clip stay up and out over the edge of the fair lead just a bit so it can be pressed over the edge and snap into the grove. Use an angled approach with the socket and push or turn it around the inside of the lead while pressing out over the lip of the fairlead. That forces the Circlip out over and into the seated position.

Jim Morrical

IMG_4834.jpg

IMG_4827.jpg

IMG_4830.jpg

IMG_4833.jpg
    Last edited by jmorrical; 07-14-2015 at 08:54 AM.

These pliers are made specifically for the clips (low cost and work perfectly): Williams PL-1515 8-Inch Locking Ring Pliers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk