Thread: Newbie who needs some advice

Default Newbie who needs some advice

Just a little background. We currently live in San Diego but are moving soon to Claremont, CA. I'm excited in a sense that there are quite a few public airports that have much cheaper leases on hangars and tie-downs than you would be able to find in San Diego. We will also be moving into a house that has a three car garage. I'm an airline pilot and former navy pilot. I might know how to fly a plane but am more than a little unsure if I have the skills to build one. I have always dreamed of building a carbon ex but have a lot of questions:
    1) I have absolutely no experience in metal working or working with fabric. Do I need to take classes or is this something I can learn on my own?
    2) what initial kit provides the best learning curve? Should I purchase the wing or fuselage kit first?
    3) what do you think I should have as far as a modest tool set for completing the kit? I have everything available for most wood working projects but unfortunately nothing for metal working.
    4) for those of you building at home can you give me the rough dimensions of the workspace you feel you need to complete the project?
    i apologize in advance for my ignorance. Obviously there will be many other novice questions to come from me in the future. Just happy to finally have at least the opportunity to build memories with my daughter with an excellent aircraft.

Default Re: Newbie who needs some advice

Mattoxmw,

Welcome to the forum!! Take some time to search the site especially the build section and you will get some good info and a feel for what guys are doing. You will see that this kit is more of an assembly than a fabrication. The support is amazing so if you have questions they are answered immediately Monday-Friday!! As for your questions:
    1) If you have no experience I would recommend an EAA metal working class and a fabric seminar. They will give you the confidence to tackle the project.
    2) I would start with the wing kit. Seems like the manuals start there and most of the beginning steps are very simple which builds your confidence moving forward.
    3) There is a list out there of basic required tools. I can't find it right now but I'm sure someone at the factory can post a link. In addition to those tools you will also need a wing/fuselage rotator. These can be bought, made or borrowed. If your new airport has an active EAA chapter you could probably borrow a set. You will also need a paint set up if you plan to paint your own airplane, which I highly recommend.
    4) I am currently building in my garage. I framed off the third stall and its size is approximately 12x24. I have to move parts (fuselage/wings) back and forth to the airport depending what I am working on but it is nice to work at home and you will get much more done that way!

Keep the questions coming. If you decide to pull the trigger you will not be disappointed!!

Mike

If you can fly it you can build it. And you'll be practically next door to Poly-Fiber, the fabric supplier. In addition to the CCI materials, Poly-Fiber has an excellent manual, "How to Cover and Aircraft Using the Poly-Fiber System." Give them a call (951) 684-4282 and schedule a visit to pick up the manual and get a quick rundown on the process. They're the folks who teach EAA fabric seminars.
    For further info on how to get the process started, click on the the "Contact Sales" button on the home page of the website, click on California to get to our website, and give us a call.

Thanks for all the great info Mike! I'm sure I will be bombarding all with many more questions.

Welcome to the forum!! Take some time to search the site especially the build section and you will get some good info and a feel for what guys are doing. You will see that this kit is more of an assembly than a fabrication. The support is amazing so if you have questions they are answered immediately Monday-Friday!! As for your questions:
    1) If you have no experience I would recommend an EAA metal working class and a fabric seminar. They will give you the confidence to tackle the project.
    2) I would start with the wing kit. Seems like the manuals start there and most of the beginning steps are very simple which builds your confidence moving forward.
    3) There is a list out there of basic required tools. I can't find it right now but I'm sure someone at the factory can post a link. In addition to those tools you will also need a wing/fuselage rotator. These can be bought, made or borrowed. If your new airport has an active EAA chapter you could probably borrow a set. You will also need a paint set up if you plan to paint your own airplane, which I highly recommend.
    4) I am currently building in my garage. I framed off the third stall and its size is approximately 12x24. I have to move parts (fuselage/wings) back and forth to the airport depending what I am working on but it is nice to work at home and you will get much more done that way!

Keep the questions coming. If you decide to pull the trigger you will not be disappointed!!

Mike[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by John Hodges View Post
    If you can fly it you can build it. And you'll be practically next door to Poly-Fiber, the fabric supplier. In addition to the CCI materials, Poly-Fiber has an excellent manual, "How to Cover and Aircraft Using the Poly-Fiber System." Give them a call (951) 684-4282 and schedule a visit to pick up the manual and get a quick rundown on the process. They're the folks who teach EAA fabric seminars.
    For further info on how to get the process started, click on the the "Contact Sales" button on the home page of the website, click on California to get to our website, and give us a call.
    Thanks for the post John! We will be up there in a couple of months and I will check it out.

Sure thing. We'll go Carbon Cub flying!

Take a trip up and visit the factory. Watch the wing, fuselage and fabric folks for a few hours. It is well worth the time. I made two 2-day trips during my build. Immensely helpful for a first time builder.

Jake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jake
    Finished CCEX N96FV!