Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carbon Cub SS On Floats Beats Water Champ

Default Re: Carbon Cub SS On Floats Beats Water Champ

In the take off contests they do not measure by distance , rather time and also its a side by side match that after the flag is dropped who gets off the water first. You are then paired up again against the winner of another heat and do it again unitl the winner is determined. That said the day of the Sun & Fun event the winds were very stiff at about 18-20 and gusting so I was off more quickly than I would be with no wind. I would guess that day I was off in about 75ft? In the video you can see that the Aircam actually got the jump on me both as to power up and on the step but the CC litterally leaped ahead. We do plan a trip to Greenville someday but not on the schedule as yet as hear its simply a must do trip and eperience. Best Gary

IMG_3701.jpg
    Does not get any better than finding a mountain lake somewhere over North Carolina en route to Indiana on a hot day and drop in for a swim. LOVE IT Thanks again Jim Richmond and the whole Cubcrafters team for this wonderful airplane. Am at 270 hrs and still puring. Warm regards to all. Gary

270 hours and still lookin like new! That sounds like a blast! There are more than a few days here in the summer I wish I could hop in an airplane and head to the somewhat cooler hills around here!

Pete D.

Front landing gear failure on Baumann amphib equipped Carbon cub. Just a heads up to all amphib guys ,I had a front gear failure of one side involving the snap ring in the little shock absorber. I spoke with Baumann this morning and he says SB on this is coming out today! How ironic is that as mine failed yesterday afternoon. Be careful out there. regards, Royce

I had the snap ring pop out of one of my nose wheel shocks during installation and had Baumnn send me a new cylinder to replace the failure, the groove is very shallow and I think that is the issue. 30 + hours on my amphibs and the only issue I've had is bent cable ends, ( extending gear while on the water ). Replaced the cables and changed the angle seems to be ok now. I have a piper pa11 and this is the first installation so I expect a few issues, just hope everyone gets the service bullitins as this could help us all with issues without finding out on the internet of potential problems.

Royce, How did you have the failure and did it do any damage? I recieved the SB and a call from Joe, I am taking the floats off this week so I guess it came at a good time. Hope all is ok with floats and plane. Douten

Hi Douten, The snap ring failed when I lowered the gear for a runway landing. Luckily the gear arm took all the damage and the float wasnt even scratched. It could have been way worse for sure. thanks for asking, hope all is well with you. take care, Royce

Another gear failure on carbon cub! After completeing all four SBs on 1500s I had a gear failure the first time I used it. It seems the added spring tension combined with the bouyancy of the tires caused the push rods to fail. Just a heads up. good luck ,Royce

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyroyce View Post
    Another gear failure on carbon cub! After completeing all four SBs on 1500s I had a gear failure the first time I used it. It seems the added spring tension combined with the bouyancy of the tires caused the push rods to fail. Just a heads up. good luck ,Royce
    You're keeping Joe Birkemeyer in the loop on this, right? We have another customer amphib about to fly in another week so we appreciate you keeping us abreast.
    Randy Lervold