Thread: Headset static using 12 volt charger

Default Headset static using 12 volt charger

When I connect my IPad or Stratus to the 12 volt outlet in my S2 I get significant static through my headset. Have others experienced this and is there a fix? I'm using the recommended amp rated charger and only trying to charge/maintain one device at a time.

Thanks,
    Glenn 40M

Default Re: Headset static using 12 volt charger

I had the same issue with the iPad in my CarbonCub. The static was so bad the radio was essentially useless. I decided to just use the iPad with a full battery and not attempt to charge airborne. Now, I'm using a mini iPad and have used the Incase High Speed Charger that is sold thru the Apple store. So far, no static, however, I've only tried it a few times and not for very long. Another option would be a back up battery.

I'm running the iPad Air with LTE (4G) On, using ForeFlight and plugged into the Aux 12V socket. No problems at all with radio. Using the Bose A20 headsets. Have 2013 Exec. Glass. Also tried the Stratus with no problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Y; 06-11-2015 at 09:49 AM.
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Had the same problem with my iPad. Works fine most of the time, but sometimes the static is horrible. I found the problem was I was using an USB extension between the 12v outlet charger and the iPad cord. Removed the extension and problem solved.
    John
    N760TX

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Had the same problem with my iPad. Works fine most of the time, but sometimes the static is horrible. I found the problem was I was using an USB extension between the 12v outlet charger and the iPad cord. Removed the extension and problem solved.
    John
    N760TX
    I followed 3phase and purchased a single usb port "Incase" charger, flew five hours on Saturday using Ipad the entire flight. No radio interference and battery power never dropped below 98%. Although there may be other contributing factors for me it was the quality of the charger.

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    I followed 3phase and purchased a single usb port "Incase" charger, flew five hours on Saturday using Ipad the entire flight. No radio interference and battery power never dropped below 98%. Although there may be other contributing factors for me it was the quality of the charger.
    That's great news. It does seem the charge rate is just about equal to the power usage rate when using WingX, Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, etc. In other words, I have found that I end a flight with very near the same battery power left as when I started..... NO static is great.