Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: iBBS switch and operation?

  1. #11
    Senior Member 40m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Shoreham, VT
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: iBBS switch and operation?

    During flight yesterday I picked up a "IBBS Low Voltage" alarm, switching to the engine monitoring page the IBBS voltage was reading 11.1 volts occasionally jumping rather quickly up +3-4 volts in the ribbon. Didn't last the entire flight. Anyone experienced this or suggestions where to start?

    Thanks,
    VT Glenn

  2. #12
    Senior Member Pete D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    936

    Default Re: iBBS switch and operation?

    Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    During flight yesterday I picked up a "IBBS Low Voltage" alarm, switching to the engine monitoring page the IBBS voltage was reading 11.1 volts occasionally jumping rather quickly up +3-4 volts in the ribbon. Didn't last the entire flight. Anyone experienced this or suggestions where to start?

    Thanks,
    VT Glenn
    Make sure the IBBS Charging breaker is not popped out.

    Take a look at the connector on the IBBS, I have seen one that had some corrosion on the connector & pins. The battery and connector on the harness ended up being changed out. If that is all clean, possible the IBBS needs to be changed, how old is it calendar time?
    Pete Dougherty
    R & D Shop Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    535

    Default Re: iBBS switch and operation?

    Sorry Glenn, I just saw this post and I had the identical thing happen to me last year. I would be flying along and then get a quick alert just as you did. Now I don’t recall if it was an “IBBS” or just “Low Voltage” alarm.

    When I would get it, I would switch over quickly to the EIS page and everything would be normal.

    It would do it erratically but seemed like at least once every hour. So I finally just left the EIS page up and waiting until it happened again and very quickly looked. Over and saw it drop down to -3 or so volts.

    I got with Cub Crafters and we downloaded the data from the SD card and I put it on an Excel sheet and examined it when it was happening. It was lasting only a second or 2 or 3 with a very quick drop and then right back up. My thoughts were perhaps a failing voltage regulator as I had heard a few friends had the same thing happened and they replaced their alternator.

    What we found out was that it was apparently a Garmin bug in the program. They fixed it in a few days or so and the update cured the problem.

    So if you haven’t solved your problem, maybe try that. Do a system update and see if that fixes it.

    Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    During flight yesterday I picked up a "IBBS Low Voltage" alarm, switching to the engine monitoring page the IBBS voltage was reading 11.1 volts occasionally jumping rather quickly up +3-4 volts in the ribbon. Didn't last the entire flight. Anyone experienced this or suggestions where to start?

    Thanks,
    VT Glenn
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.....
    ..but if you do it right.....
    ....once is enough."..

  4. #14
    Senior Member 40m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Shoreham, VT
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: iBBS switch and operation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Sorry Glenn, I just saw this post and I had the identical thing happen to me last year. I would be flying along and then get a quick alert just as you did. Now I don’t recall if it was an “IBBS” or just “Low Voltage” alarm.

    When I would get it, I would switch over quickly to the EIS page and everything would be normal.

    It would do it erratically but seemed like at least once every hour. So I finally just left the EIS page up and waiting until it happened again and very quickly looked. Over and saw it drop down to -3 or so volts.

    I got with Cub Crafters and we downloaded the data from the SD card and I put it on an Excel sheet and examined it when it was happening. It was lasting only a second or 2 or 3 with a very quick drop and then right back up. My thoughts were perhaps a failing voltage regulator as I had heard a few friends had the same thing happened and they replaced their alternator.

    What we found out was that it was apparently a Garmin bug in the program. They fixed it in a few days or so and the update cured the problem.

    So if you haven’t solved your problem, maybe try that. Do a system update and see if that fixes it.
    As of now the IBBS won't power the G3X at all.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    535

    Default Re: iBBS switch and operation?

    Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    As of now the IBBS won't power the G3X at all.
    Really? Then it must be the battery bad or connections. Did you pull that right panel? My guess is one of the connectors to the battery came loose. They aren’t very good and tight spade type connectors.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.....
    ..but if you do it right.....
    ....once is enough."..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •