Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iBBS switch and operation?

Default iBBS switch and operation?

I am in the process of installing my G3X panel and was wondering if anyone can explain the operation of the IBBS switch for me. From my understanding, it is back up power for the G3X. I think the switch should be on any time the master is on? If the power is drawn down the IBBS will pick up the load until the load stabilizes such as during start. Am I missing any thing else it will do?

MR

Default Re: iBBS switch and operation?

You got it. Turn the IBBS and Master switch, let the G3X start up, crank the engine, then the Avionics switch. Leave the IBBS switch on until shutdown, so the IBBS gets recharged. Also if you turn the IBBS off you will get a CAS alert (at least in my plane)
    N80DB #119 E-LSA / G3X Touch

I turn IBBS on as I get in or just before, that lets the G3X boot up without using the main battery at all. Also, it is ready to go by the time I am in, brakes check, buckled etc.

On a quick turn fuel stop I'll leave the IBBS on until I have fuel and reset the fuel computer. Then I'll either taxi to a tiedown and shut it all down or taxi for takeoff so it is already booted up and ready to go when I hop back in after fueling.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thanks guys, good info!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I turn IBBS on as I get in or just before, that lets the G3X boot up without using the main battery at all. Also, it is ready to go by the time I am in, brakes check, buckled etc.

On a quick turn fuel stop I'll leave the IBBS on until I have fuel and reset the fuel computer. Then I'll either taxi to a tiedown and shut it all down or taxi for takeoff so it is already booted up and ready to go when I hop back in after fueling.

Pete what is the process for changing out TCW's 3amp Batt that is turned on by the IBBS switch? is it a difficult remove and replace job?

and

What has been your experience with leaving the the IBBS batt ( which is lithium phosphate ) switched on for a prolonged period prior to start.

thanks

Slow flight

Slow Flight,
    I can report that I (inadvertently) left the IBBS switch on over night once last year, and came to the plane the next day to start up, thinking I had ruined the IBBS backup battery. I was lucky... it had just enough residual to allow it to recharge after I got the plane running, and I have not had a problem with it since.

My normal procedure is to turn on IBBS when I am preflighting, allowing the G3X to power up, so what when I get in, I can add my flight plan (via Bluetooth from Foreflight), and do whatever else pre-setting up I want to do, prior to starting the engine. Ive been told that it will last upwards of 2 hours, although I dont let it go that long ever, except the time I forgot it.

Once Im ready for start up, I flip on the Master, and I leave the IBBS switch ON for the complete flight. I believe that ensures that it gets recharged during flight, and it also allows the G3X to say lit, even if I had a main power failure of the primary alternator and then battery. The backup batter for ignition will NOT run the avionics, so its important to have the G3X running throughout an event like that.

When I get back to the hangar, I power down the plane, turn off the MASTER, and usually log my flight time from the G3X Flight Log page at that time (via iPhone picture, for entering in my log book at home).

Finally I power down IBBS, get out and pull the plane in.

Since my one time of forgetting the IBBS, I have a way of checking a few important items before closing the hangar:
    KISS (Keep it simple stupid) or, KEYS (out of the ignition), Instruments (like my InReach device, iPad retrieval, etc), Switches (all off including IBBS), and S for Stupid I guess... havnt come up with the second S yet!

As for changing out the IBBS battery; it is not built into the G3X like I thought, but is mounted behind the right side floor panel, right near the ignition backup battery. Jon Delamarter will let you know what to buy, but I have never replaced any of mine yet.

I DO replace the Ignition backup battery every year at annual, regardless of anything. Cheap insurance!

Hope that helps....
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick Bosshardt; 08-29-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Flight View Post
    Pete what is the process for changing out TCW's 3amp Batt that is turned on by the IBBS switch? is it a difficult remove and replace job?

and

What has been your experience with leaving the the IBBS batt ( which is lithium phosphate ) switched on for a prolonged period prior to start.

thanks

Slow flight

I have not left the IBBS on for more than maybe 20 min on a fuel stop but it should last longer than that. Leaving it on does not effect how well the airplane turns over, it is a completely separate system from the main battery in that regard.

Like Rick said, the IBBS is located behind the right forward kick panel. About 4 screws (nuts or clip on nuts maybe?) and one connector in addition to removing the push buttons that hold the right fwd interior panel in. Not too terribly hard but don't drop any of the screws into the boot cowl or you will be on a fishing trip :-)

As far as I know there is not a replacement interval on the IBBS like there is on the ignition backup battery (located behind the same panel with 100 hr/annual replacement interval)
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

This following statement is copied from the TCW IBBS 3ah installation manual, regarding the interval for replacing the battery, it is purely on condition and depends on whether or not it can meet the endurance test:

"Requirements for continued airworthiness:
    On at least an annual basis the endurance capability of the IBBS system shall be confirmed and compared
    against the back-up endurance required for the connected equipment.
    As an alternate to these tests, the IBBS unit may be returned to TCW Technologies for a
    loaded endurance test, contact TCW Technologies, LLC. for details.
    Procedure for endurance testing
    All applications except electronic ignition systems
    1) Turn off the Aircraft Master Switch
    2) Turn on the Back-up Power Master Switch
    3) Turn on all equipment connected to and supplied with back-up power from the IBBS
    product.
    4) Measure and record at least the following information: The time until the first piece of
    connected equipment no longer functions or the time until the output of back-up power
    supply voltage drops to 9.5 volts. AVOID allowing the back-up battery voltage to fall
    below 9 volts.
    5) After completing the endurance test, recharge the IBBS product by operating the system
    with the Aircraft Master Switch in the ON position for up to two hours. This may done by
    operating the aircraft in conditions known to not require back-up power or by powering the
    aircraft system on a suitable ground power source as described in the section: Ground
    Base Recharging.
    6) Record the results of the endurance testing in the aircraft log book.
    7) If the IBBS no longer meets the endurance testing requirement, the back-up battery may
    need replacement."

Notice they dont give you a time interval, its based on how long it takes it to drop to the specified minimum.

TCW has the install info online, to paraphrase they expect a fully charged unit to last 2 hours with a 1.5 amp draw and about an hour with a 3 amp draw. The last time I checked, the draw of the system as we use it is just over 1.5 amps, so if you can get two hours of back up time out of it that should be enough. Mind you, if the electrical system fails the ignition backup battery is what determines how much time you have before you need to land, not the IBBS battery.

Hope this helps,

Thanks much

Mike Sutton
    Cubcrafters Avionics

Thanks, Mike, thats good info for us to have.

Can you confirm that the G3X is the only device that we have operating on IBBS in the panel?

Step 2 below doesn't really apply since we don't have that backup master.... and Step 3 I believe would just be the G3X, correct?

Thx, Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

As far as the backup master, I would conclude that the IBBS switch on the panel is the backup master, its what turns on the IBBS system.

As far as the G3X system, per se, as far as I know from the production side right now the GDU 465 display, the GSU25 ahars and the GEA24 engine monitor are the only units that are actually powered by the IBBS and they are not high amp load devices. I believe that those have always been what we have powered on with the IBBS system, none of the other avionics devices are tied into that.

As far as step 3, I would conclude that the above items are what get powered up when you turn on the IBBS switch.

There really isnt that much to it

Thanks much

Mike Sutton
    Cubcrafters Avionics