Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door or window open above 80mph

Default Door or window open above 80mph

Just picked up new to me CC. It has 2 overhead vents. Need more ventilation or way to fly above 80 with window open. Suggestions?

Default Re: Door or window open above 80mph

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Stash View Post
    Just picked up new to me CC. It has 2 overhead vents. Need more ventilation or way to fly above 80 with window open. Suggestions?
    Good Question , I cant fly over 80 either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Stash View Post
    Best bet is to remove the window. This is easier on recent airplanes, but doable on all.

regards, Carl

I fly most of the time (locally) with the window & door open,I don't generally fly over 80 because I'm wanting to look around not trying to get some where. I did remove the S.S. Reinforcement tab on the window made it out of a little heavier metal over bent it slightly and made it to fit tight in the receiving clip (when you open the catch it just barley goes by)
    I saw I guy the other day he takes a piece of pipe insulation (Hardware store or Home Cheapo)the plumbers use and he just pushes it over the leading edge of the window. He said it stops all the erratic movement in the window and it never falls down. He just Keeps a peice in his plane slides it on when he's gonna leave the window open. I haven't tried it but it makes since. I think you have to watch out for the pressure on the back windows also ,I've seen a couple of planes with a S.S. Channel over the leading edge of back window to keep from coming lose.
    Hope that helps or just slow down and enjoy the ride!
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    I fly most of the time (locally) with the window & door open,I don't generally fly over 80 because I'm wanting to look around not trying to get some where. I did remove the S.S. Reinforcement tab on the window made it out of a little heavier metal over bent it slightly and made it to fit tight in the receiving clip (when you open the catch it just barley goes by)
    I saw I guy the other day he takes a piece of pipe insulation (Hardware store or Home Cheapo)the plumbers use and he just pushes it over the leading edge of the window. He said it stops all the erratic movement in the window and it never falls down. He just Keeps a peice in his plane slides it on when he's gonna leave the window open. I haven't tried it but it makes since. I think you have to watch out for the pressure on the back windows also ,I've seen a couple of planes with a S.S. Channel over the leading edge of back window to keep from coming lose.
    Hope that helps or just slow down and enjoy the ride!
    Chuck
    I duct taped the leading edges of the rear windows, they started coming off the frame.

Joe
    Just measure your window go to local sheet metal shop have them bend you a 22-24ga S.S.channel that fits snug ,I would just over bend it just a smidgen so it stays with out any fasteners. It will look nice and won't come off.
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com

Chuck do have a pic of this channel you could share with us?

Joe I will show how to fix that at SJ also a way to hold the door open that works

Quote Originally Posted by ncshp View Post
    Chuck do have a pic of this channel you could share with us?
    Joe
    I didn't have it on my plane so I made a couple today. Been meaning to make some. I made it out S.S. 24ga. I made it. a tight 3/4" wide ID with 1/2" legs x15" long. You could have it made full length and notch around that gusset I didn't ,I bent one side 90deg I over bent the othe side to make it tight. The over bent side goes to the inside so not to mess up the window. Just presses on no need for drilling holes or fastening.
    Hope that helps
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com

Thanks for sharing Chuck. I will get a piece bent for the rear window. I too have trouble keeping the front window latched. It starts buffeting and then drops down.