Thread: Sand and fat tires

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Default Sand and fat tires

Ok, guys (and gals), once again I come to you in ignorace seeking wisdom. I live on St. George Island. Gulf of Mexico land. There are miles (literally) of unused beaches (except for the occasional watercraft and such). The sand is not terribly difficult to walk on for the beaches reachable by foot, but...

Those of you with experience (Lickle? Chip? Anybody?), how difficult/risky is it to land my CubSS on that sand? 26" bush tires, not particularly heavy. I've got the upgraded Scott tailwheel which I have no doubt will get bogged down, but that doesn't overconcern me given how easy it is to get that up. The length and width of the (soft) sand makes the mechanics of landing there a non-issue. The wet sand (with the tide out) would be no problem I think...but a bit narrow in some areas. So...what say you experts?

Jim (cowardly, but advancing...)

Default Re: Sand and fat tires

You shouldn't have any issues landing on the beach. Clay Hammond has done it many times in the Big Bend of Florida. You might wish you had that "fatty" tailwheel that you used to have, but you're right regarding the tail being very light and easy to raise out of the sand. Take pictures!!!!

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Jim, if you've never landed on the beach before you want to make sure you land just above the waterline where the sand is packed hard by wave and tide action and is usually the darker colored sand. The lighter colored sand is usually soft and that's NOT where you want to land or taxi into because you will sink you tail wheel there.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Hi Jim, As the Tower will say " Land at your own risk" but just flew that area last week and know the beaches you are citing and no problem . Spent the night at Dauphin Island. That sand is good and compact and of course beahtiful. The 26 will handle any of that and so will the 3200. While the tail wheel may bog down at idle or rest practice lifting it with power before you head out there just in case. I have thus far not gotten stuck anywhere with the 3200. Have fun and as Chip said send pictures.

Jim
    That would probably be way too much fun so Im pretty sure I would never ever land my old S2 (when I had 26s) early in the morning on the soft sandy beach of S.Florida. But I am pretty sure that there would not be a problem with it getting stuck or the 3200 tail wheel sinking in the sand dune high above the tide line with (2) people and the XP Mod!
    Not that I would know that from experience or anything
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Doesn't matter how soft the sand is, it's no problem in a Carbon Cub on big tires. Because the Carbon Cub is so light, with 29's and a baby b/w you barely leave a trace.

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Thanks, guys! I've got a week off coming up end of this month and will mount my assault. Err...experience "engine problems" and be forced to make a precautionary landing...or several. Camera in hand.

Jim