Thread: Newbie...confused

Default Newbie...confused

Hi there,
    I have flown the Aviat Husky for 150hrs and I am confused about the 180hp options for the Carbon SS and the Top Cub, but with a 65kprice difference and 700pds...what am i missing. Why is the MTOW of the SS so low, I am a commercial pilot from Canada and I am thinking the SS shoud be able to haul a lot more...is there an elephant in the corner of the room?
    Cheers, D.

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Default Re: Newbie...confused

The Carbon Cub SS is certified as a Light Sport. Pretty sure such doesn't exist in Canada. That limits the gross weight (and the empty weight and a few other things). If you look at the Experimental model Carbon Cub (EX) you'll see what sort of weight can be carried if it were not limited by Light Sport rules.

Not even suggesting any violation of the rules, but I am pretty sure that the engine in the SS (CC340) actually makes more power than the O360 in the Top Cub. But the rules are what they are. You may want to check to see if you can own a Light Sport in Canada. I have no idea.

I'm sure a more knowledgeable party can contribute.

Jim

Thank you Jim for your kind enlightement on the regulatory issues.

I guess I am now trying to determine what possible reason I would find to pay an extra 70k for a Top Cub, when I could build/get an Carbon EX-2 instead.

The EX appears cheaper with similar useful load, why pay for the Top Cub if I am not operating the aircraft in a business (i.e. no need for certification). Is there another reason to get a Top Cub.

As a second, query, can i put the Diesel CD-155 on the Carbon Cub Ex? Jet-A is much easier to get in Northern Canada.

Thirdly, are there any rumors of incorporating Diesel engines in Cub Crafters aircraft? I have emailed two different 'sales reps' with this question and never gotten any replies at all.

Thank you for the kind info,

D.

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Old Husky View Post
    Thank you Jim for your kind enlightement on the regulatory issues.

I guess I am now trying to determine what possible reason I would find to pay an extra 70k for a Top Cub, when I could build/get an Carbon EX-2 instead.

The EX appears cheaper with similar useful load, why pay for the Top Cub if I am not operating the aircraft in a business (i.e. no need for certification). Is there another reason to get a Top Cub.

As a second, query, can i put the Diesel CD-155 on the Carbon Cub Ex? Jet-A is much easier to get in Northern Canada.

Thirdly, are there any rumors of incorporating Diesel engines in Cub Crafters aircraft? I have emailed two different 'sales reps' with this question and never gotten any replies at all.

Thank you for the kind info,

D.
    I, personally, would build an EX over buying a Top Cub. Agree with your evaluation. If you can build one, you probably should build one. One of our friends on this group built one...enjoyed it so much, he sold it and built another one. The general consensus is that CubCrafters (like everything they do) put out a superb kit which is (reasonably) easy to build. Very conventional construction, and largely (but not exclusively) assembly against building. Terrific support by other builders and the factory. And the new EX-2 makes my mouth water.

I know nothing about the Diesel engine to which you refer, but, assuming the size and weight make sense you would only need to figure out how to mount it. You have the choice (to my best knowledge) of engines in a "homebuilt. At a quick glance it would appear that it would take a fair-to-middling amount of engineering to get it in and may not be worth the effort...or possible.

I have no knowledge of any diesel options available or in the works, but these guys are innovative as hell. I'm sure someone way more knowlegible than I will weigh in pretty soon. Early am in Washington State.

Jim

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Old Husky,

It is difficult sometimes to compare airplanes on a consistent basis.

The TopCub is certified under the US Part 23 rules and is priced as a factory built airplane accordingly. The CarbonCub SS is a factory built light sport airplane certified under ASTM rules for LSA aircraft. The CarbonCub EX affords a home builder the opportunity to build an experimental amateur built CarbonCub that could be flown as a Sport Pilot if certified to 1320 lbs. That same home builder has the option to certify his experimental amateur built CarbonCub EX at 1865 lbs if he/she wishes which gives him/her around a 950 useful load.

The cost of the TopCub and the CarbonCub EX may not be that different depending on how you account for your time. If your time is free, then you can save lots by building a CarbonCub EX and end up with payload capability near that of a TopCub. If your time is not free then the cost difference between a TopCub and CarbonCub EX narrows considerably. If you think you would enjoy the building experience, you will have a grand time building your own CarbonCub and you will have an airplane with great performance when you are done.

As for the diesel option, no rumors about a diesel at CubCrafters. It is unlikely that CubCrafters would spend the money to certify an engine that would make the CarbonCub significantly heavier.

I hope you have fun with what ever choice you make.

JM
    John Moreland
    SWT Aviation
    CubCrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Central Florida

Old Husky,

If you are looking for a Carbon Cub with an 1,865lb gross weight in Canada, you have a couple of options.

You could purchase the kit and build it yourself and certify it at the 1,865lb gross weight. The kit takes builders between 800 and 1,000 hours to complete. The Carbon Cub EX-2 kit is great for the first time builders because it is complete. Every nut, bolt, and washer is included in the kit and the manuals are some of the best in the kit plane industry.

The second option is to contract CubCrafters to assemble your EX-2 kit for you. Transport Canada allows for owners of an aircraft kit to contract a professional to assemble the kit. (Exemption - Standard 549.01 (signed 2009-04-02) With this option you can have a Carbon Cub with the higher gross weight and your airplane will be assembled to the highest build quality.

Canadian buyers can purchase and operate both ready to fly and kit airplanes from CubCrafters. There are several registration options both for N-Registration or C-Registration. Rather than detail them here, you can give us a call.

509-248-9491
    Max Platts
    Builder Assist Program Coordinator
    CubCrafters

Default Re: Newbie...DIESEL

I appreciate the answers about the different models and this does help with my decision making. What I am frustrated with is the lack of interest in the south (USA) for Diesel/Jet. I realize you have more choices, but up north of 55Latitude, there's only Jet fuel in Canada, and some beautiful flying to be had.

The weight penalty for the CD-155 is only 100pounds, and burns 40% less gaz, so you can effectivelly go as far on the lesser gaz at a similar weight, not too mention a single lever fadec for Prop & Mixture & throttle!

Moreover, if the aircraft is 'experimental' why does cub crafters have to certify it?

Is there a problem with putting the CD-155 on a Tandem (slim) fuselage?

If you ever want to explore the beautiful arctic ranges of Easter North America you need a Diesel engine...

Kind regards,

D.

By the time you have added the 3 bladed prop that the engine calls for, and the governor plus the extra 105 pounds of the engine, you have added 15% to the empty weight of the aircraft.

Old Husky,
    I am the dealer in the Southwest, and am sorry that you've tried to contact several dealers with no reponse. I know it wasnt me....
    As Im based in Arizona, I have lots of customers and potential customers that live in Canada and spend winters in Arizona. There are actually several ways for you to get a Carbon Cub into Canada, either leaving the N number on it, or having one built and ferried up there to include a C number..... and of course, if you build it yourself, there are no issues. There is a category in Canada (forgot the name) that roughly equates to our LSA, although as I remember its even more towards the Ultra light side.
    The EX-2 (the current kit being shipped) is awesome, but to my knowledge no one has tried to put a diesel engine in it. Im confident that others have experimented with other types of engines other than the CC340, including CubCrafters themeselves (nothing exotic, but a standard and heavier O-360).
    I totally get your desire to put a Diesel in the Kit, and Im sure it can be done. Its just that the design of the plane is for the ~235 lb CC340, and you would just have to perhaps balance out the plane with some more weight in the back.

The EX-2 kit normally has about a 900 lb useful load, so you certainly have the weight ability to add the extra 100+ pound engine...

Hope that helps....
    Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com