Thread: News Letter 10/08/2009

Default News Letter 10/08/2009

Hello,
    Great news for the month of September! The unstoppable Carbon Cub #6 was certified in September and was immediately put on amphibs weighing in at 1248lbs. It has the first light weight O360 installed and a modified baggage compartment with an external door. We are going to produce the external door and offer the modified baggage as a kit. This fire breathing Carbon Cub on Amphibs has a useful load of 617lbs!
    As you may be aware the FAA has released the new 51% checklist and is in the process of finalizing the new ruling. Before this new rule takes effect you will be able to use the old forms and checklist if you already own a kit or are in the process of building an amature built aircraft. So if you want to use the old forms and checklist, now is the time to get your kit!
    In the month of September we also hosted "The CubCrafters Experience" 2009 here at CubCrafters. It was attended by about sixty people from all over the world looking to get a one on one experience with our pilots, sales team, crew and current CubCrafters owners. CubCrafters gave demo rides most of the day at Buena (a small grass field) southeast of YKM. A catered dinner was held back here at the CubCrafters Factory where cubs were the number one topic! A good time was had by all and we are getting ready to start the planning for "The Experience" 2010! Check out "The Experience" 2009 photo gallery at cubcrafters.com.

Until Next Time Happy Flying
    Mitch Travis
    Kit Program Manager

Default Re: News Letter 10/08/2009

Hi guys, just checking in with carbon cub ex #6. I have been flying it this winter on 29" tundra tires and having a ball. The plane weighs in just about #995 on wheels and with the o-360 is a blast to fly. We will go back on the amphibs for summer(montana floats). My next project is to add a 12 gallon removeable aux fuel tank to increase range on delivery flights. We are using a plastic under deck marine tank with an osborne tip tank automatic shut off pump. I'll let you know how it works. Only outstanding issue is that I continue to run a bit warm on CHT. Not uncommon to see + 450 on #3 cylander. Anybody have any good cooling ideas? Cheers and great cub flying, Rick O

Default Re: News Letter 10/08/2009

Great to hear everything is working well Rick! I'm trying to remember for sure, but I think you do have pretty much the current rev. baffle parts, right? There was a change on the right rear piece that was to help with the cooling for that cylinder head, pretty sure yours has the current one but wouldn't hurt to check.

I was in your area last fall for an hour or so but didn't have time to stop by. Loved the layout of the lake and the hills, great area to fly around!

Pete D.