Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machined Tail Ribs Cherry Max Rivets

Default Machined Tail Ribs Cherry Max Rivets

The forum has a few threads with Cherry Max rivet solutions. It seems a trouble spot for first time builders.

Can anyone give a solution to the frustration and "fear" I am having with installation of the Cherry Max rivets to the machined tail ribs at the aft spar. I have modified my hand puller, but in three tries only one of the rivets set properly…the one having the easiest approach. I've had to remove 2 of 3 rivets with some worry about damaging the spar or complicating this installation because of the effort removing the rivet.

I am considering buying a
    Gauge Bilt 704E and an offset puller on Ebay. One thing I don't know is how do I know that the offset puller I have my eye on will match the 704E. And will this do the job in the tight angular space where these rivets are to be set? There is a NEW Gage Air Rivet Gun Kit (Military Acft GBP-704) GBP704E for $465 and an offset puller for $170. It seems like a good price??

With this offset puller would I more likely set pull these few rivets correctly the first time?

Last edited by jmorrical; 05-23-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Default Re: Machined Tail Ribs Cherry Max Rivets

Long ago I did a post over at SuperCub.org on this topic. Here is the the link. Let me know if this helps.

Briefly stated, two tips. First, grind the crap out a cheap rivet puller to get it to the point where you can get it reasonably perpendicular to the rivet. Second, use a small spacer between the riveter and the rivet.

Finally inspect the the back side to make sure it seated properly, likely with a small mirror.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...ild-Blog/page3

Jim,

This might help as well, its a close quarter rivet puller tool:

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5012

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Jim,

This might help as well, its a close quarter rivet puller tool:

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5012

Mike
    Mike

That is an excellent tool and really a must have for a lot of tight places. However I found that mine did not work well for the cherry max rivets. It lacks the grip force on the rivet stem needed to pull the cherry max rivets.

I know the close quarter riveter from Avery is not for the Cherry Max.

The top rivet install of the #12 Machined Tail Rib is the troublesome one because the approach is so angled and confined. I thought my rivet puller was modified well enough as the tool set squarely on the rivet head. The top of the rivet looked great but the blind side didn't seat. The stem sheared before it completely formed the blind side head. I would guess that just less than 1/8 inch of the stem protruded from the formed head on the back side of the spar web area. That had to be removed.

The removal I learned at EAA SportAir workshop works well when you can work squarely over the top of the rivet. In this case it's challenging to drill the top of the head and get a punch placed to pry it off. At best you are drilling at a 10* angle to the actual hole. I worked cautiously to pull the stem out from the back side…well push it thru. Removal of the aluminum rivet wasn't as easy. I couldn't get a 1/8" punch square to the hole to drive it out because it was too long. I looked for a much shorter punch that might square up for the tap out but couldn't find one. After about an hour of cautious tapping with a smaller punch with some side pressure the revet came out. The hole was not elongated either…this was my greatest fear.

Well I'll go on to the other easier rib.

I called Cherry Aerospace and had an interesting visit with tech support about the Cherry Max rivets. Here is a summary document on them that I found interesting.

http://www.cherryaerospace.com/docs/...gs/CA-1015.pdf
    Last edited by jmorrical; 05-24-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Jim

FWIW I had to drill out a couple of the Cherry Max rivets as well. You are right about that specific location being most problematic. Only after really chopping up a rivet puller could I get the angle right, plus that small aluminum spacer, which together let it go in.

Have you talked to Mitch?

It would seem a shame to spend bunches of money for a fancy tool to install just a couple problematic rivets.

Chuck

Chuck,

Yes, I've talked to Mitch and he has been very helpful and always available.

Yesterday I found a new military surplus GageBilt GBP704E-Cherry Max riveter kit on Ebay and they took my $425 offer. I added an offset rivet attachment for $125 which I think will ease my frustration with these particular rivets even though $$ is spent. My basic philosophy on tools has evolved during the build process contrary to some. If I'm spending $150,000+ on the airplane I want to build, what's $600 for a proper tool added to my collection? In my view it protects my investment by helping insure safe, correct installation and peace of mind from me damaging something trying to remove something. Besides I can sell it later or loan it to my EAA buddies. And besides I'm having a flare up of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. That's my excuse for a new tool and I'm sticking to it!

I've seen your 'Chuck and Ryan's Build Tips' and your cherry max rivet comments there. Thanks. The details of your posts are great. Keep them coming.
    Last edited by jmorrical; 05-25-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Jim

All good points.

The tail bearing on my sons 1965 Mustang GT350 started going bad. Typically we would have to pull the engine and tranny to replace it. But we found a tool specific to that job that some had had success using. So we went ahead and took a chance on it and bought one and replaced the bearing this weekend working under the car. No need to pull engine or tranny. Worked great. We may never use it again, but having the right tool sure makes life a lot easier.

Peace of mind has value. Especially when building an airplane.

Be sure and let us know how that fancy tool works out.

chuck

Chuck,

The military surplus GageBilt GBP704E-Cherry Max riveter with the offset attachment from eBay worked perfectly on the difficult Machined Trail Rib rivet location. The 5 Cherry Max rivets on the fwd spar pulley bracket installed perfectly and with ease as shown here using the standard attachment. Now I've installed the aft spar reinforcing strip and got a perfect set on all those the rivets.
    Also, I was getting tool marks from the force required with the hand tool that didn't make me comfortable.
    I've heard a story about someone who scraped a wing because of poor practices and lack of attention to detail with drilling on the spars. That I don't want.

This is my first build and for me the extra peace of mind is worth the cost of a good tool. I'm glad I bought the tool.

IMG_4776.jpg

Jim
    Last edited by jmorrical; 07-01-2015 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    Chuck,

The military surplus GageBilt GBP704E-Cherry Max riveter with the offset attachment from eBay worked perfectly on the difficult Machined Trail Rib rivet location. The 5 Cherry Max rivets on the fwd spar pulley bracket installed perfectly and with ease as shown here using the standard attachment. Now I've installed the aft spar reinforcing strip and got a perfect set on all those the rivets.
    Also, I was getting tool marks from the force required with the hand tool that didn't make me comfortable.
    I've heard a story about someone who scraped a wing because of poor practices and lack of attention to detail with drilling on the spars. That I don't want.

This is my first build and for me and the extra peace of mind is worth the cost of a good tool. I'm glad I bought the tool.

IMG_4776.jpg

Jim
    cherry max puller is worth the bucks.. I borrowed one for a week end then went right to ebay & bought one. It will be for sale when I get finished