Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airstreak tundra tires

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Default Airstreak tundra tires

I'm just coming up on three years of ownership of my terrific Carbon Cub SS. Lots of flying, lots of landings on paved runways. One of my 26" Airstreak Tundra tires has just started to show some cordage. I was a little dismayed to see it, not that the tire was wearing out...pretty much expected around 3 years of wear from tires like these...but thinking I would be down for weeks.

The phone number for the tire company is ON the tire. I squatted down, called them (this was Monday) and the tires got here today. Amazing service. Price was in line with what I expected.

One fer Alaskan Bush Tires...

Jim

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Default Re: Airstreak tundra tires

Phone number on the tire. What a novel idea?

JM
    John Moreland
    SWT Aviation
    CubCrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Central Florida

It knocked me out. There I was, squatting in the hangar wondering what I was going to have to do to replace the tire(s) and on the tire was an (800) number. Called it, answered by an actual person on the second ring, and the tires got here two days later. I am not sure that it is possible to have better customer service than that. Just awesome. I hope that by the next time I need to replace them I'll have a set of floats working too....

Jim

Do you know how many hard surface landings you made with those tires?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harper View Post
    I'm just coming up on three years of ownership of my terrific Carbon Cub SS. Lots of flying, lots of landings on paved runways. One of my 26" Airstreak Tundra tires has just started to show some cordage. I was a little dismayed to see it, not that the tire was wearing out...pretty much expected around 3 years of wear from tires like these...but thinking I would be down for weeks.

The phone number for the tire company is ON the tire. I squatted down, called them (this was Monday) and the tires got here today. Amazing service. Price was in line with what I expected.

One fer Alaskan Bush Tires...

Jim
    That seems to be pretty good performance by those Airstreaks. Did you stay with 26"

Quote Originally Posted by rv8pilotpaul View Post
    Do you know how many hard surface landings you made with those tires?
    I really can't say. The airplane has been very well used over its first 3 years and I have on the order of 500 or so hours on it. A LOT of the flying was just pooping around and shooting landings...usually on paved runways, 'cause that is just what I had to work with.

I guess, bottom line, it suffices for me that I feel like I got fair treatment. And the evenness of the wear makes me feel pretty happy too.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    That seems to be pretty good performance by those Airstreaks. Did you stay with 26"
    Yup. I like how they feel. We are selling a property in NM and when it goes, I will be putting amphib floats on. Probably get better life on the 26'ers then. To date, I have loved the tires.

Jim

Just noticed some small cord spots showing on the 26" Airstreaks. 140 hrs and 95% pavement landings- Probably 250+ Landings.
    My question is: Are there any tricks I should know about to replace/Mount the new 26" tires on the wheels?
    I went to order them from CubCrafters, but they show Out Of Stock, so I ordered them from AirFrames Alaska.

Thanks- Steve
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
    Just noticed some small cord spots showing on the 26" Airstreaks. 140 hrs and 95% pavement landings- Probably 250+ Landings.
    My question is: Are there any tricks I should know about to replace/Mount the new 26" tires on the wheels?
    I went to order them from CubCrafters, but they show Out Of Stock, so I ordered them from AirFrames Alaska.

Thanks- Steve
    I hired it done, so wasn't involved with the mechanics of it. However, the tires have an integral tube and ought to be really easy to put on. Split the wheel, grease it up (dish soap, I suspect) and slide it on.

Jim

Steve if you just ordered them I would call them back ,ABW use to put extra rubber on them at no charge if you are going to do a lot of pavement landings and all you had to do was ask, don't know if Airframes will do the same. There easy to put on no lube needed. You might have to get longer bolts to get the rims close enough to each other to start the right ones. You do with 29s & 31s not sure if needed on 26s. I've always just used a piece of all thread with a small plate on each side to pull the rims together. Just watch not to pinch the inside tube.
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News