Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airstreak tundra tires

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Default Airstreak tundra tires

I'm just coming up on three years of ownership of my terrific Carbon Cub SS. Lots of flying, lots of landings on paved runways. One of my 26" Airstreak Tundra tires has just started to show some cordage. I was a little dismayed to see it, not that the tire was wearing out...pretty much expected around 3 years of wear from tires like these...but thinking I would be down for weeks.

The phone number for the tire company is ON the tire. I squatted down, called them (this was Monday) and the tires got here today. Amazing service. Price was in line with what I expected.

One fer Alaskan Bush Tires...

Jim

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Default Re: Airstreak tundra tires

Phone number on the tire. What a novel idea?

JM
    John Moreland
    SWT Aviation
    CubCrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Central Florida

It knocked me out. There I was, squatting in the hangar wondering what I was going to have to do to replace the tire(s) and on the tire was an (800) number. Called it, answered by an actual person on the second ring, and the tires got here two days later. I am not sure that it is possible to have better customer service than that. Just awesome. I hope that by the next time I need to replace them I'll have a set of floats working too....

Jim

Do you know how many hard surface landings you made with those tires?

Quote Originally Posted by rv8pilotpaul View Post
    Do you know how many hard surface landings you made with those tires?
    I really can't say. The airplane has been very well used over its first 3 years and I have on the order of 500 or so hours on it. A LOT of the flying was just pooping around and shooting landings...usually on paved runways, 'cause that is just what I had to work with.

I guess, bottom line, it suffices for me that I feel like I got fair treatment. And the evenness of the wear makes me feel pretty happy too.

Jim

I have also tried the Herculiner truck bed liner to extend the life to the Airstreaks. Its a messy job, entailing jacking up the plane and then spreading the stuff all around the wear portion of the tire with rubber cloves. Make sure you put allot of taps down on the hangar floor and on the struts!
    After 24 hours of drying I jacked up the other side and did the same.

It worked well, nice and plyable, and didn't peel, but it only lasted about 10 hours on pavement and it was already down to the tire again. Really not worth the trouble, in my opinion anyways.

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Desser is developing a tundra tire -- at 1/3 the price. They had it on display at Oshkosh. It looks good, but it remains to be seen whether its off-airport performance equals that of the Airstreaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harper View Post
    I'm just coming up on three years of ownership of my terrific Carbon Cub SS. Lots of flying, lots of landings on paved runways. One of my 26" Airstreak Tundra tires has just started to show some cordage. I was a little dismayed to see it, not that the tire was wearing out...pretty much expected around 3 years of wear from tires like these...but thinking I would be down for weeks.

The phone number for the tire company is ON the tire. I squatted down, called them (this was Monday) and the tires got here today. Amazing service. Price was in line with what I expected.

One fer Alaskan Bush Tires...

Jim
    That seems to be pretty good performance by those Airstreaks. Did you stay with 26"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    That seems to be pretty good performance by those Airstreaks. Did you stay with 26"
    Yup. I like how they feel. We are selling a property in NM and when it goes, I will be putting amphib floats on. Probably get better life on the 26'ers then. To date, I have loved the tires.

Jim

A friend of mine used a bedliner spray on his bushwheels and is quite happy with the results. He actually took the wheels completely off of his airplane to spray the tires and let them dry. He said it lasted quite a while. I am sure that different types of paving techniques wear tires differently.
    Max Platts
    Builder Assist Program Coordinator
    CubCrafters