Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airstreak tundra tires

Default Re: Airstreak tundra tires

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Steve if you just ordered them I would call them back ,ABW use to put extra rubber on them at no charge if you are going to do a lot of pavement landings and all you had to do was ask, don't know if Airframes will do the same. There easy to put on no lube needed. You might have to get longer bolts to get the rims close enough to each other to start the right ones. You do with 29s & 31s not sure if needed on 26s. I've always just used a piece of all thread with a small plate on each side to pull the rims together. Just watch not to pinch the inside tube.
    Chuck
    Many thanks Chuck & Jim
    Steve
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Steve if you just ordered them I would call them back ,ABW use to put extra rubber on them at no charge if you are going to do a lot of pavement landings and all you had to do was ask, don't know if Airframes will do the same. There easy to put on no lube needed. You might have to get longer bolts to get the rims close enough to each other to start the right ones. You do with 29s & 31s not sure if needed on 26s. I've always just used a piece of all thread with a small plate on each side to pull the rims together. Just watch not to pinch the inside tube.
    Chuck
    Chuck

I just put the Airstreak 26's on and asked ABW about extra rubber......I was told they don't do it anymore...

I had an A&P help putting mine on and with 2 people the same bolts worked ok.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
    Just noticed some small cord spots showing on the 26" Airstreaks. 140 hrs and 95% pavement landings- Probably 250+ Landings.
    My question is: Are there any tricks I should know about to replace/Mount the new 26" tires on the wheels?
    I went to order them from CubCrafters, but they show Out Of Stock, so I ordered them from AirFrames Alaska.

Thanks- Steve
    Steve I don't know if your plane is experimental or not, but I have seen guys coat their tires with Hercu-liner(bedliner) to prevent wear. When they see rubber wearing through, they just apply another coat.

Desser is developing a tundra tire -- at 1/3 the price. They had it on display at Oshkosh. It looks good, but it remains to be seen whether its off-airport performance equals that of the Airstreaks.

I actually talked to the VP of Desser who was there, Ken Faire, and they are indeed going to produce a nice 29" tundra tire that was on display.

He said it would NOT fit on our CarbonCub hubs, and that you buy it with an integrated hub and Cleveland brakes…. I think equivalent to our 1.75 brakes. The whole thing would be about as expensive as buying our 29" Airstreak's…. but then the replacement cost of their 29" tires, IF they ever wear out, is WAY less…...

Just some more info.

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

I have also tried the Herculiner truck bed liner to extend the life to the Airstreaks. Its a messy job, entailing jacking up the plane and then spreading the stuff all around the wear portion of the tire with rubber cloves. Make sure you put allot of taps down on the hangar floor and on the struts!
    After 24 hours of drying I jacked up the other side and did the same.

It worked well, nice and plyable, and didn't peel, but it only lasted about 10 hours on pavement and it was already down to the tire again. Really not worth the trouble, in my opinion anyways.

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

A friend of mine used a bedliner spray on his bushwheels and is quite happy with the results. He actually took the wheels completely off of his airplane to spray the tires and let them dry. He said it lasted quite a while. I am sure that different types of paving techniques wear tires differently.
    Max Platts
    Builder Assist Program Coordinator
    CubCrafters

Thanks Max, Rick and John...

Bit the bullet and ordered two AirStreak 26" from AirFrames Alaska. They were here in Two days! Great service from them,
    with very professional and easy online site. Now all I gotta do is Get Off The Darn Pavement...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

All right! Now you can go out and have all sorts of fun! 26's are a great combination!
    Max Platts
    Builder Assist Program Coordinator
    CubCrafters

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
    Thanks Max, Rick and John...

Bit the bullet and ordered two AirStreak 26" from AirFrames Alaska. They were here in Two days! Great service from them,
    with very professional and easy online site. Now all I gotta do is Get Off The Darn Pavement...
    I have discovered...at my uncontrolled airport with a friendly FBO...that I can get off the darn pavement by landing on the space between taxiways. It's a lot more fun getting into a relatively tight spot, and the only time my tires see pavement on my home drone is taxiing back and forth to the hangar. Obviously airports vary, but think on it. And it is probably better to talk to the FBO guys to avoid misunderstandings. My FBO has sort of taken a proprietary perspective and has mowed me a patch on the spaces I use (that's at KAAF). YMMV...

Jim