Thread: Plastic Fuel Line Fittings

Default Plastic Fuel Line Fittings

Carbon Cub fuel fitting is leaking when cold (Alaska)... Are these fittings sealed/glued with something when assembled? They don't feel like a normal plastic 'B' nut when you put a wrench on them. Do you have to heat them to get them to release?

Default Re: Plastic Fuel Line Fittings

All of the plastic to plastic connections of the fuel system have a dab of superglue applied after assembly to prevent them from working loose.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Interesting question, you and I can't be the only cold climate Carbon or S2 cubs. When the temp drops to 10 degrees F mine leaks at the fittings in particular at the fuel valve. I suspect dissimilar materials play a role. I was able to gently tighten several which helped but did not eliminate the leakage. I would be interested if a sealant might help and which would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    Carbon Cub fuel fitting is leaking when cold (Alaska)... Are these fittings sealed/glued with something when assembled? They don't feel like a normal plastic 'B' nut when you put a wrench on them. Do you have to heat them to get them to release?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    All of the plastic to plastic connections of the fuel system have a dab of superglue applied after assembly to prevent them from working loose.
    Okay thanks Pete D. For my next question is: what is the best way to release the dab of Superglue, so I can see if this fitting is cross-threaded?

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Interesting question, you and I can't be the only cold climate Carbon or S2 cubs. When the temp drops to 10 degrees F mine leaks at the fittings in particular at the fuel valve. I suspect dissimilar materials play a role. I was able to gently tighten several which helped but did not eliminate the leakage. I would be interested if a sealant might help and which would be best.
    I was wondering if this was going to bring something out of the woodpile.
    I'm looking at plastic fuel lines mated up to Aluminum fittings/lines and wondering the same as you.
    This problem arose at -20F. I'm trying to eliminate the possibility of a 'B' nut being cross-threaded during assembly.
    My next guess would be the alum/nylon fittings shrinking at different rates/amounts.

I think your next guess is the right one.
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    I was wondering if this was going to bring something out of the woodpile.
    I'm looking at plastic fuel lines mated up to Aluminum fittings/lines and wondering the same as you.
    This problem arose at -20F. I'm trying to eliminate the possibility of a 'B' nut being cross-threaded during assembly.
    My next guess would be the alum/nylon fittings shrinking at different rates/amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    I think your next guess is the right one.
    The 'B' nut looks crooked when you look at the threads showing. This is looking through an insp. hole with a mirror and flashlight.