Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flew My Carbon Cub Over 1000 Miles Today

Default Flew My Carbon Cub Over 1000 Miles Today

I took off from Yakima yesterday morning and flew to Rapid City South Dakota. That was approx. 800 miles. I took off this morning from Rapid City and flew home to Kentucky. Today's flight with a few deviations due to weather was approx. 1050 miles. I'll give more details as well as pictures soon. I will say the two things that far exceeded my expectations was the Oregon Aero Leather Seat and the Garmin G3X.

David Morris
    Somerset, KY.
    Last edited by davidmorris; 05-02-2015 at 08:22 AM.

Default Re: Flew My Carbon Cub Over 1000 Miles Today

1000 miles in a Cub is pretty epic! I bet you were glad you have the autopilot option.
    N80DB #119 E-LSA / G3X Touch

Quote Originally Posted by marcusadolfsson View Post
    1000 miles in a Cub is pretty epic! I bet you were glad you have the autopilot option.

I made a correction to my post. It was Yakima to Rapid City South Dakota on Thursday not Idaho.

Anyway, yes the autopilot is awesome! You can climb/descend by IAS or VS. It nails your altitude every time with pre-select. Although it does not have auto trim the G3X displays TRIM UP or TRIM DOWN when needed. I was really surprised how little trim is required. Going from 9500 ft. to 7500 ft required little to no trim change. The absolute hands down coolest thing about the G3X is flight planning. I did my flight planning on my iPad with Garmin's Pilot APP and transferred via bluetooth the flight plans "multiple" in about a minute to the G3X from start finish. You can power up the G3X using it's internal battery without turning the master on. No added Hobbs time. The internal battery will power it for approx. 30 minutes. As soon as you start the plane the G3X battery is recharged. When I made a change to my route on the G3X in flight it autiomatically sent the changes to my iPhone/iPad. Every function of the G3X is intuitive! For anyone that's ever used a Garmin product the transition will be easy.

More later...

David Morris
    Somerset, KY.
    Last edited by davidmorris; 05-02-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Nice report. Look forward to hearing more.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmorris View Post
    You can power up the G3X using it's internal battery without turning the master on. No added Hobbs time.
    Sorry I missed you David, maybe I'll get to OSH this year and run into you there!

There are two times shown in the G3X on the engine page. "engine hours" is the same as tach time with a mechanical tach (accrues at 1:1 at 2300 RPM, faster above that, slower below that) and is used for maintenance scheduling and logbook entries.

The second time "Total Hours" is the same as a hobbs meter and only accrues when there is oil pressure IE, the engine is running. Having the IBBS on and or the master on shouldn't make that accrue time unless the engine is also running and there is oil pressure.

Being a fancy computer, buried somewhere in the setup I believe there are settings to change the behavior but the above is the default settings that it should be leaving here with and translates most accurately to typical non-glass panel airplanes.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

David,

Thanks for specifying the factory settings on the G3X Touch.

With our cubs often operating way below 2300 rpm, is it still fair to use the Engine Hours for the airframe log book entries? Seems that it would accrue slowly.

On my old Performance VFR panel, the RPM R-1 tach timer kept a running total of any time the engine is above 1300 RPM. Does that mean my 300 hrs of time on the R-1 could have been ~220 hrs using a different timer for Engine Hours?

How is the Dynon system configured?
    N80DB #119 E-LSA / G3X Touch

A few pictures from my flight home.

#1 CubCrafters Delivery Hangar
    #2 Rocky Mountains
    #3 My G3X Panel
    #4 Fuel stop in Bozeman Montana

David Morris
    Somerset, KY.
    Attached Images Attached Images

GREAT pics!! Thanks for sharing!

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by chipallen View Post
    GREAT pics!! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Chip!

I appreciate the excellent customer service. This started last Tuesday night as soon as I entered my Motel room. To my surprise there was a gift basket from CubCrafters waiting for me with all kinds of goodies. The 1st class service continued the next morning with Jeff Glab. As busy as everyone at CubCrafters was I was treated as if their very existence depended on my satisfaction. Thats the way it should be! I had an opportunity to talk to CEO Jim Richardson as well as President Randy Lervold. Randy and I talked in detail about engine break in and what I should expect on the way home. He nailed it!

My first time flying my new CC was the sunrise takeoff for the flight home. I never really thought much about the fact I opted for AOSS Landing Gear and 26 Inch Tundras vs. Standard Gear and 8:50 X 6's on my 2013 CC until I turned final for my first fuel stop. I remember thinking this is going to be different I just didn't know how different. As soon as I touched down I just smiled and thought WOW that was so much easier and predictable. The AOSS just seems to naturally want to settle in on a 3 point landing. The 26 inch Tundras "Pillows" made every touchdown super soft. Even the controller at Rapid City SD said "Great landing especially in these winds" as soon as I landed. Winds were 28 gusting to 34 but pretty much down the runway so not really a big deal. I thought the big deal might come from taxiing to the FBO but that was uneventful.

Now that I think about it the FBO at Rapid City was one of the best ever. It was raining pretty hard and having called in 20 minutes or so before landing they were expecting me. They came out and told me to stay in the plane and proceeded to pull me in the hangar without getting as much as a drop of rain on me. It gets better! I ask about getting transportation to a Hotel. The gentlemen working said I'm leaving in 5 minutes I'll take you. As I was getting out of his truck he said I'll be here on my way to work at 7:00 am if that time works for you.

Since there are multiple FBO's at Rapid City I should mention this was L&D.

On the flip side of this experience I landed in a Cirrus yesterday at a Major Airport with a flat front tire. I felt like I had a contagious disease. They were polite enough but since it wasn't a Jet they offered little assistance. I drove several hours home and returned tonight to pick it up after getting maintenance today from another nearby airport.

The last thing I'll say in this post is this was a Bucket List Trip. I would encourage anyone considering a CC to try to pick it up and fly it home yourself. The Northern I-90 route was great. The unexpected and pleasant surprise was that I had cell service just about the entire flight through the Rockies.

Great job to ALL at CubCrafters for building my second most excellent Carbon Cub!

David Morris
    Somerset, KY.
    Last edited by davidmorris; 05-05-2015 at 05:43 AM.

David,
    I agree that FBO'S seem to give us (CC Cub owners) a special treatment. I was blown into an early day in Scottsdale, AZ and the FBO there treated me like I was Gulfstream owner. They rearranged a few Lears and made room for me in their hangar and spent a lot of time admiring and asking questions. Hope the mystique continues. Enjoy
    Ken