Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sport cub xp

Default Re: Sport cub xp

Put a T3 on and an API 6131 soft tire TW. Caddy ride and more AOA

http://www.airframesalaska.com/T3-Ta...ems-s/1899.htm

http://www.apitailwheels.com/products/

Glenn
    Last edited by Cubdriver2; 03-06-2017 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubdriver2 View Post
    Put a T3 on and an API 6131 soft tire TW. Caddy ride and more AOA

http://www.airframesalaska.com/T3-Ta...ems-s/1899.htm

http://www.apitailwheels.com/products/

Glenn
    Thanks Glenn. Looks like a nice setup. I'll check into that. The price is certainly right. Terry

Quote Originally Posted by bofusfly View Post
    I just bought a Sport Cub XP and would like to ask those of you who are using the 38",40" and 42" pitched 76" Cattos if you were still happy with them after flying with them for a while. I'm leaning towards the 40" but like to hear your thoughts. It came from the factory with a McCauley 71X45 after the XP upgrade. It performs well but I would really like to shed the extra weight and gain some more performance at the same time. Also, anyone using a Baby Bushwheel or is it really even needed with such a light tail on the Sport Cub? Terry
    Terry,

We have two Sport Cubs, one with the XP mod and the 76/40 Catto and one stock with the Sensenich Ground Adjustable with a 50 pitch cartridge. It is 72 inch diameter. I will not give up my Sensenich. I outclimb our other Cub. The planes are within 1 lb of each other empty so the only difference is the weight between me and my husband. We did a side by side takeoff test and he beat me off the ground by maybe 40 feet and initially got one airplane height above me. We agreed that at 50 feet we would retract the first notch of flaps and then accelerate to factory best rate of 71. Once we started to accelerate I got above him and stayed there by about 2 airplane height. We stayed side by side the whole time.

I am still debating on whether or not I will do the XP mod on mine and possibly put a 48 pitch cartridge in

As for the Baby Bushwheels, we have them on both planes. Yes they are a tad heavier and will shimmy on pavement if you are not perfectly straight, but for the landing on soft sand, we have a beach that we can use, they work great. I sunk my Champ on the beach with the straight 3200, but have not had any issues with the Baby Bushwheel. The Baby Bushwheel is more sensitive to tailwheel angle, but once set up properly works well, in our experience.

We are very pleased with the way our Sport Cubs are set up and love the performance and versatility.
    Scott and Kim Huntington
    2007 CubCrafters CC11-100 "Sierra"
    2008 CubCrafters CC11-100 "Priscilla"

Quote Originally Posted by N536cs View Post
    Terry,

We have two Sport Cubs, one with the XP mod and the 76/40 Catto and one stock with the Sensenich Ground Adjustable with a 50 pitch cartridge. It is 72 inch diameter. I will not give up my Sensenich. I outclimb our other Cub. The planes are within 1 lb of each other empty so the only difference is the weight between me and my husband. We did a side by side takeoff test and he beat me off the ground by maybe 40 feet and initially got one airplane height above me. We agreed that at 50 feet we would retract the first notch of flaps and then accelerate to factory best rate of 71. Once we started to accelerate I got above him and stayed there by about 2 airplane height. We stayed side by side the whole time.

I am still debating on whether or not I will do the XP mod on mine and possibly put a 48 pitch cartridge in

As for the Baby Bushwheels, we have them on both planes. Yes they are a tad heavier and will shimmy on pavement if you are not perfectly straight, but for the landing on soft sand, we have a beach that we can use, they work great. I sunk my Champ on the beach with the straight 3200, but have not had any issues with the Baby Bushwheel. The Baby Bushwheel is more sensitive to tailwheel angle, but once set up properly works well, in our experience.

We are very pleased with the way our Sport Cubs are set up and love the performance and versatility.
    How did you "set up" your Baby Bushwheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    How did you "set up" your Baby Bushwheel?
    Good Morning

I haven't been able to totally get rid of the shimmy like you can with the 3200 or other smaller tailwheels. But only get the shimmy on a runway like SMX with a rough surface and during crosswind conditions. Headwind or calm wind, a smooth surface, and I don't get any shimmy.

First thing I do is change to the "heavy duty" 1.75" two-spring tailwheel springs. On my SC (N536CS) the "center pivot spindle"wasn't quite at the aft angle recommended (5 -7 degrees aft) and I made a shim from aluminum 1.75" wide stock, 1/4" thick. Used a disk sander to make the bevel, drilled the hole for the bolt, and most of the shimmy is gone. You can tell when the angle is about right if you use a tailwheel towbar (attached to the tail wheel axle) and as you tow the plane backwards you can definitely feel the "overcentering" effect as you make slight turning movements.

SC N5058 (Kim's plane), the spindle post angle came out right with the installation of the springs. The combination of spring bend angle and fuselage alignment was just right and Kim's post explains her experience with it.

We have found the baby bushwheel makes a difference in really soft sand and around big gopher holes. A comparison with a Champ equipped with the 3200 and my SC with the baby bushwheel on "Ben's Beach" had me picking up the tail of the Champ to turn while the SC taxied quite nicely.

Scott & Kim Huntington
    Scott and Kim Huntington

Quote Originally Posted by N536cs View Post
    Good Morning

I haven't been able to totally get rid of the shimmy like you can with the 3200 or other smaller tailwheels. But only get the shimmy on a runway like SMX with a rough surface and during crosswind conditions. Headwind or calm wind, a smooth surface, and I don't get any shimmy.

First thing I do is change to the "heavy duty" 1.75" two-spring tailwheel springs. On my SC (N536CS) the "center pivot spindle"wasn't quite at the aft angle recommended (5 -7 degrees aft) and I made a shim from aluminum 1.75" wide stock, 1/4" thick. Used a disk sander to make the bevel, drilled the hole for the bolt, and most of the shimmy is gone. You can tell when the angle is about right if you use a tailwheel towbar (attached to the tail wheel axle) and as you tow the plane backwards you can definitely feel the "overcentering" effect as you make slight turning movements.

SC N5058 (Kim's plane), the spindle post angle came out right with the installation of the springs. The combination of spring bend angle and fuselage alignment was just right and Kim's post explains her experience with it.

We have found the baby bushwheel makes a difference in really soft sand and around big gopher holes. A comparison with a Champ equipped with the 3200 and my SC with the baby bushwheel on "Ben's Beach" had me picking up the tail of the Champ to turn while the SC taxied quite nicely.

Scott & Kim Huntington
    Great. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Great. Thanks for the info.
    Good example of the baby bushwheel floating through soft sand. This was Saturday Morning (25 Mar 17) in the Santa Maria / Sisquok riverbed. Did take some power to turn, but the tailwheel didn't bog down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott and Kim Huntington