Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sport cub xp

Default Re: Sport cub xp

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    Thanks Glenn will check it out. Been trying to get out your way all summer but its been really busy. Hopefully this fall, will throw in the Red Label to blast a rooster.

jim
    Jim,
    Would enjoy having you. Currently on the farm Sundays, starting early November Sat & Sun. I do hope to spend a night or two camping at the WAD.
    Glenn 40M

I just bought a Sport Cub XP and would like to ask those of you who are using the 38",40" and 42" pitched 76" Cattos if you were still happy with them after flying with them for a while. I'm leaning towards the 40" but like to hear your thoughts. It came from the factory with a McCauley 71X45 after the XP upgrade. It performs well but I would really like to shed the extra weight and gain some more performance at the same time. Also, anyone using a Baby Bushwheel or is it really even needed with such a light tail on the Sport Cub? Terry

If you used the original o-200 cam I would stick with the 76x40. If you put the C-90 or C-85 cam in, the 76x42 works well with the added lower end torque. The Catto is a very smooth prop pus the extra weight savings on the nose is a big plus.

Quote Originally Posted by ncshp View Post
    If you used the original o-200 cam I would stick with the 76x40. If you put the C-90 or C-85 cam in, the 76x42 works well with the added lower end torque. The Catto is a very smooth prop pus the extra weight savings on the nose is a big plus.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I appreciate it. By any chance, are you the guy in NC with the 26" Airstreaks for sale? Terry

I am the one with the 26" Airstreaks and they need a home

I have an 09 Sport Cub. When I bought it i tried it for a couple hours with original 0200 w sensenich ground adjust prop. It performed well, and cruised at 116 with 850 tires Had LyCon do the XP cyl trick, kept the stock cam, put on Catto 76-42. Its really smooth. My only thing is it wont turn more than 2400 rpm on takeoff and climb. But the thing is off the ground in 200 fft and climbs in excess of 1000 fpm most every day unless its hot outside. With 26 airstreaks at 2400 rpm 76-42 prop will cruise 105 mph, and I like that. It prob should have a 40 pitch on the Catto. Glenn in VT will jump in, he has a 38 pitch on a xp/hot cam engine
    I burn pretty close to 7 gph at 2400, and find if I dial it back to 2350 gets it under 6 gpm

I would like to work with catto on a longer prop, like an 80- 34 or some combo. I think a longer thinner blade pitched to spin about 2600 on takeoff would be a screamer

Kept the baby bushwheel off my Scout, but its still on the shelf Been happy with the abi 3200 for what I do, even in the snow

Keep us posted

IMG_1801.jpg

Jim
    Last edited by Scouter; 03-05-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ncshp View Post
    I am the one with the 26" Airstreaks and they need a home
    Which tires did you end up with? I'm leaning towards the 29". Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    I have an 09 Sport Cub. When I bought it i tried it for a couple hours with original 0200 w sensenich ground adjust prop. It performed well, and cruised at 116 with 850 tires Had LyCon do the XP cyl trick, kept the stock cam, put on Catto 76-42. Its really smooth. My only thing is it wont turn more than 2400 rpm on takeoff and climb. But the thing is off the ground in 200 fft and climbs in excess of 1000 fpm most every day unless its hot outside. With 26 airstreaks at 2400 rpm 76-42 prop will cruise 105 mph, and I like that. It prob should have a 40 pitch on the Catto. Glenn in VT will jump in, he has a 38 pitch on a xp/hot cam engine
    I burn pretty close to 7 gph at 2400, and find if I dial it back to 2350 gets it under 6 gpm

I would like to work with catto on a longer prop, like an 80- 34 or some combo. I think a longer thinner blade pitched to spin about 2600 on takeoff would be a screamer

Kept the baby bushwheel off my Scout, but its still on the shelf Been happy with the abi 3200 for what I do, even in the snow

Keep us posted

Jim
    Jim, thanks for all the information. That was just what I was looking for. Looks like so far I have 2 recommendations for the 40" pitch. Terry

Terry
    I did the XP Mod on mine I also put in the high Torque cam. I ran 29s on mine. Glenn put 31s on 😄 he told me I told him too.🤔 You should be the first with 35s 👍 I used the the ground adjustable prop with a 52 pitch cartridge it really performed well,of course this was before they started running Cattos on them. I'm not a fan of Baby Bushwheels at all. For one it changes the angle of attack enough that I noticed it instantly, there quite a bit heavier and they are terrible if you have to land on pavement for any reason. There great flying airplanes I really enjoyed mine.
    CHUCK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Thumbs up Re: Sport cub xp

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Terry
    I did the XP Mod on mine I also put in the high Torque cam. I ran 29s on mine. Glenn put 31s on 😄 he told me I told him too.🤔 You should be the first with 35s 👍 I used the the ground adjustable prop with a 52 pitch cartridge it really performed well,of course this was before they started running Cattos on them. I'm not a fan of Baby Bushwheels at all. For one it changes the angle of attack enough that I noticed it instantly, there quite a bit heavier and they are terrible if you have to land on pavement for any reason. There great flying airplanes I really enjoyed mine.
    CHUCK
    Heck yes, 35"s. Exactly what I thought and that's when Chip said something like "You gotta stop talking to Chuck!" I thought the Baby Bushwheel would probably be overkill on the Sport Cub. Looks like a set of 29"s and a 76X40 Catto will get me started. I was really surprised at the performance. I expected it to fly like an Carbon Cub running on 3 cylinders. I was wrong. I wasn't looking for a Sport Cub, but with the XP upgrade, only 63 hours TT, extended baggage with access door, it's a perfect "place holder" until the next something comes along. Did I mention that's it's YELLOW Oh by the way, congratulations........