Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firewall Insulation

Default Re: Firewall Insulation

All

I am just now beginning the firewall / boot cowl assembly. Has anyone completed the assembly with the Soundex soundproof or another alternate product? Any and all feedback is appreciated .
    Thank you

Tom,

I started this thread and my advice after finishing the airplane is to go with what CC supplied. No matter what you put on the firewall the airplane will still be loud. Soundex is heavy and the CC is best when it's light! If you go with what they supplied you save yourself time and will be flying that much sooner!!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Tom,

I started this thread and my advice after finishing the airplane is to go with what CC supplied. No matter what you put on the firewall the airplane will still be loud. Soundex is heavy and the CC is best when it's light! If you go with what they supplied you save yourself time and will be flying that much sooner!!

Mike
    I just weighed my cut to size 3/4" Soundex and it weighs 1.75# with the vinyl glued on. You're probably better off with the 5/8".

The only problem I see with it is when you attach your boot cowl. The Soundex will need to compress to nearly flat. If it doesn't fit, I will cut out the sections where the Soundex touches the X bracing behind the firewall. I've done a little sound/vibration proofing on other planes, and it makes an amazing difference. Really reduces fatigue on long trips.

Gregg
    Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0092

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Tom,

Mike
    I agree.

Be ready to cut away any thickness of the insulation where grommets pass through as well as other locations. The grommets are a tight fit as is. What CC provides will compress virtually flat. You will need to do a lot of planning to make sure you enlarge the openings where the Soundex is located since it will be almost impossible once the vinyl is glued in place and the boot cowl is mounted. Even an eighth inch of extra thickness will create problems for you.

Alternatively consider using strips of adhesive backed insulation in areas that won't interfere, rather than attempting 100% coverage, below the insulation supplied by CC. That is a trick used on cars I have built. It does not seal out noise, but it does reduce vibration and resonant sounds. It does not take a lot to accomplish that objective. But even that idea is one I would pursue cautiously.

Some good sound canceling headphones may be more effective.

Chuck