Thread: wind limitations?

Default wind limitations?

Tom Hanni and myself yesterday were both humbled with wind conditions. The NW lately has been plagued with very windy condtions this winter.

Since I am a relative new pilot I practice all the different types of landings in windy conditions and I am comfortable with up to variable winds 19kt steady to 24 kt Gusting. Playing in that wind is a blast but
    anymore than that I stay on the ground. I can see taxiing becoming difficult at much more wind than that. I have landed with higher winds but I can tell you I didn't like it.

Please advise on what your limitations or comfort zone on winds in the sport/carbon cubs or share your thoughts?

Thanks,

Geo
    www.couleeairservices.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: wind limitations?

If I can't turn around while taxiing at the end of the airport....I won't take off.

Seriously... I'm not too comfortable in cross wind components above the 11Kts advertised...seem to run out of rudder. While I fly frequently in windy conditions out here on the plains of Montana...I usually find a way to turn the nose into the wind....even if I have to land across the runway or use a taxiway. In winds down the runway I'm comfortable approaching stall speed winds. George keep in mind, while the pilot continues to improve and get comfortable with adverse conditions...the aircraft itself has limits that no amount of skill will overcome. If it is gusting with high winds....I stay home....this is supposed to be fun.

Get yourself out here to the Breaks on the 11th of June!!! R

Thanks Ralph,

here is an video of Ralph landing his sport cub in some very windy conditions in Montana!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YSbWjBtDBM

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    The NW lately has been plagued with very windy condtions this winter.
    Geo, you said a mouthful!! Right now:

KVUO 052353Z AUTO 17011G27KT 10SM -RA SCT028 OVC034 08/04 A2974 RMK AO2 PK WND 19029/2303
    (and that 17011G27 is straight across the runway!)

I'm still a wind wuss, so my Sport Cub hasn't been flying much over the last month or so. I'm hesitant to venture out if wind exceeds 10-12 knots unless it's steady right down the runway. If a grass runway is available I'll be slightly more adventurous. In the summertime 12-15 kts 30 to 60 degrees off the nose is not uncommon at our airport, and I appreciate the grass strip alongside the paved runway.

Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    George keep in mind, while the pilot continues to improve and get comfortable with adverse conditions...the aircraft itself has limits that no amount of skill will overcome.
    Get yourself out here to the Breaks on the 11th of June!!! R
    "My little airplane amazes me and I just wonder exactly what those limits are? I have a feeling we are approaching those limits."

Ralph, one way or another I plan on coming over to see you and looks like will be bringing a fleet of cubs with me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi George, yes the wind is fun. I have a super cub, but not that much diff than the cub. It is good to work in windy conditions when possible; especially using an instructor in new situations. I flew into Borrego Valley airport (L08 ) in California last weekend and there was na areobatic competition in progress. One of the competitors put his Decathelon on it's nose while taxiing down wind with winds gusting to 20K down the runway. So even the experts make mistakes. Ofcourse no one was hurt; just pride and who knows how much for prop and engine.

The direction the wind is blowing for landing isn't as important as direction it is blowing for taxi. You can go around when landing or choose to land somewhere with more favorable winds. My home airport has afternoons that the wind blows from 27-35 knots. When the wind is blowing this strong I always land short of the runway and into the wind. Luckily there is a taxi way that is not more than 50 degrees crosswind in those conditions. The most important value for me is the wind gust factor. Anything over 25 knots with a gust factor of 10 knots can be dangerous for taxing, in my opinion. For example wind 290 at 25 gust 36. Here are the rules I follow for windy conditions: 1) fly heavy: two people, full fuel, cargo, whatever it takes. The heavier you are the harder it is for the wind to lift the tail or a wing. 2) If you can, land where you are going to park. This will help you to avoid long taxis with unfavorable winds 3) Avoid taxing with quartering tailwinds. There is not enough time to get the nose pointed back into the wind if you have a gust that lifts the wing and tail. 4) If you get into a bad situation where a wing is coming up, do what ever it takes to get pointed into the wind again. Full power, stick back, rudder and brake into the wind. Fly safe, be smart and know your limitations.
    Last edited by Californiacubs; 05-23-2010 at 10:56 AM.
    Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com