Thread: Workplace Dimensions for Primary Assembly?

Default Workplace Dimensions for Primary Assembly?

Prospective builder here with a question.

I have an unused 24'x24' garage with a 7'10" ceiling in my walkout basement. It's actually located beneath my home's ground-level primary garage that was constructed with a suspended slab. This sub-garage is lit well, has its own garage door and is also connected to a wide open 1,900 sq ft unfinished basement with 9' ceilings.

My ability to undertake a build would be greatly aided by doing it at home. My thinking is that the wing halves could be finished in the garage and stored out of the way in the basement pending completion of the fuselage. The final assembly would obviously need to be undertaken in a larger space/hangar.

Is 24'x24'x94" with ancillary storage enough?

Best,

Lono

Default Re: Workplace Dimensions for Primary Assembly?

Lono, I think you'll be fine in that space, especially with an attached basement. I'm building in a 20x30 space, and I have desks and shelves on one end. I built my wings one at a time next to my fuselage.

That works. I am building mine in a garage with the same dimensions. You will need to do some careful organization, but it can be done.

Lono,

I've started in my 20 X 24 garage that has a workbench and standup freezer on one side. The fuselage, wing and finish kit + options arrived before I had my space de-cluttered. So I've spent a couple weeks getting organized before I could get started in any productive way with the build. The garage is still cluttered and I have to move bicycles and some storage boxes to the driveway to work. I still work on organization in the garage. Here is a picture to give an idea how much space I use to store the fuselage and the rest of the kits. The top shelves have engine cowlings, extended fuel tanks and tail feathers. The rest of the shelves hold seats, tires, the optional landing gear and tail wheel, lighting and extended baggage kits. The smaller boxes and bundles of the wing kit and the many finish kit boxes and other kit bundles are on a couple shelves. One shelf with a red bag is full of personal things and new tool purchases still in a box.

You'll see below the picture with the fuselage two large wooden boxes containing aileron and flaps that I'll open when it's time. I've hung unused wing struts in the joists overhead along with the other wing spar. The fuselage fits with 10 inches to spare at the garage door. When it's pushed next to the shelves I have just enough space to work on the wings. I hate it when it rains because I won't put my bikes out in it.

All this makes for difficulty, but it is how I have to start and I would't want to wait. I would love to have extra unfinished basement space you describe. I think you have more space than many builders start with. Go for it!

Jim Morrical

IMGP1679.jpg

IMGP1692.jpg
    Last edited by jmorrical; 03-21-2015 at 11:04 PM.