Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Grass Strips in Texas

  1. #1
    Senior Member Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Posts
    202

    Default Grass Strips in Texas

    I'm starting to prepare for my trip over to Sun 'n Fun and looking for any suggestions and help with some grass strips and waypoints along the way.
    Thanks
    Paul

    CCEX
    Falcon Field, Mesa, AZ

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Edgewood, Texas
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: Grass Strips in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I'm starting to prepare for my trip over to Sun 'n Fun and looking for any suggestions and help with some grass strips and waypoints along the way.
    Thanks
    Paul

    CCEX
    Falcon Field, Mesa, AZ
    Paul

    Do you know the general route yet - thru central or northern part of TX?

    Jon
    #293
    1Ta7

  3. #3
    Senior Member Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Posts
    202

    Default Re: Grass Strips in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by txcub View Post
    Paul

    Do you know the general route yet - thru central or northern part of TX?

    Jon
    #293
    1Ta7
    At this point, Jon, all I have in mind is to stop and see some friends about an hour west and slightly north of Houston. So I guess that would be considered central or south?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Edgewood, Texas
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: Grass Strips in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    At this point, Jon, all I have in mind is to stop and see some friends about an hour west and slightly north of Houston. So I guess that would be considered central or south?
    Paul

    Along that route, one good stop would be Llano (KAQO).(It's where the TX STOL Roundup is held). They have both paved and grass runways, good fuel price and courtesy car to get BBQ.

    Jon

  5. #5
    Senior Member J2cub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    269

    Default Re: Grass Strips in Texas

    Paul -

    Do you plane to fly in to South Lakeland airport? It would be really great to have your plane around for Camp CubCrafters in the afternoons. You should plan to fly down to the keys. Great flying down there in a cub.
    Jeffery Baber
    Innovation Aircraft Sales
    (844) ACSALES

  6. #6
    Senior Member Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Posts
    202

    Default Re: Grass Strips in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by J2cub View Post
    Paul -

    Do you plane to fly in to South Lakeland airport? It would be really great to have your plane around for Camp CubCrafters in the afternoons. You should plan to fly down to the keys. Great flying down there in a cub.
    Hey Jeff. I was planning on flying right into Lakeland, yes, and camping in HBC.
    Rick just mentioned the same thing about hanging out at Camp CubCrafters. I sure appreciate that offer. I wonder, is it possible to fly over there from HBC every afternoon or do they not like planes moving in and out of camping like that?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Posts
    202

    Default Re: Grass Strips in Texas

    You should plan to fly down to the keys. Great flying down there in a cub.[/QUOTE]

    That would be amazing.

  8. #8
    Senior Member EVRoosevelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wilsonville, AL
    Posts
    189

    Default Re: Grass Strips in Texas

    Paul check with S& F people but unless the rules have changed this year there is no camping in the HB parking area you would have to go over in the woods near the antique parking area which is closer to the showers.
    EV

  9. #9
    Senior Member Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Posts
    202

    Default Re: Grass Strips in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    Paul check with S& F people but unless the rules have changed this year there is no camping in the HB parking area you would have to go over in the woods near the antique parking area which is closer to the showers.
    EV
    OK thanks EV. I'll contact them. Do you know if they allow daily flights out of the HB parking area?

  10. #10
    Senior Member EVRoosevelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wilsonville, AL
    Posts
    189

    Default Re: Grass Strips in Texas

    Paul they will let you fly out but its a pain to go thru that each day easier to bum a ride with someone.
    EV

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •