Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rudder cable covers

Default Rudder cable covers

As the CubCrafters Dealer in the Southwest, I have often received questions from my customers about why CubCrafters didn't cover the rudder cables all the way back on the extended baggage version of the Carbon Cub.

I don't know that I have the answer to that, although I suspect it was due to the quest to reduce weight when the plane was being designed, but I do have a possible solution for those that are interested!

Our service center in Phoenix, Lemac Aviation, who recently brought the very popular Baggage Compartment Fabric Liner to the Carbon Cub community (and which will be offered on the CubCrafters on-line store soon), have come up with an elegant carbon fiber solution for covering the rudder cables.

The covers will be molded out of carbon fiber, integrate seamlessly with the fabric baggage liner, and will be fastened to the side of the baggage compartment with 3M double sided tape.

Please see the renderings attached here.

They are trying to gauge interest in these covers, before they spend a bunch of money developing the molds, etc, so I am sending out a general request for feedback:

Would this be something you would want for your Carbon Cub? What should a set of these be reasonably priced at?

Thx! We will take the feedback and determine whether to proceed.

Rick

Installed Rudder Cable Covers.jpgRudder Cable Cover.jpg

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Default Re: Rudder cable covers

Rick

Would they be made to be able to install without having the baggage liner? Great idea!

Jon

I would be interested. Reasonable price?.............guessing $250 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by txcub View Post
    Rick

Would they be made to be able to install without having the baggage liner? Great idea!

Jon

Jon,
    The rudder cable covers would work with or without the carpet kit. The covers would be installed onto the metal of the baggage compartment with 3M "Emblem" tape. It is a very thin tape also used to hold Cirrus aileron gap seals. If you do have the carpet kit, it would require the zipper to be cut out and the Rudder Cable Cover would go between the carpet and the baggage compartment wall. The edges of the cut carpet would be velcroed to the flange of the rudder cable cover.

Thank you Rick for posting this. I am actually cutting the molds today and will have a sample next week. I am trying to keep the cost down, it all depends on material and set up time. I wanted to use carbon fiber to match the existing panels and to keep it light weight. I have thought about offering the carbon fiber cover along with a less expensive fiberglass cover painted black. I will post pictures as soon as I have them. I love suggestions so please feel free!

Yes, I would be interested in a set to install without the carpet kit. Will it cover the entire visible cable length?

Thanks

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Lemac Aviation View Post
    Jon,
    The rudder cable covers would work with or without the carpet kit. The covers would be installed onto the metal of the baggage compartment with 3M "Emblem" tape. It is a very thin tape also used to hold Cirrus aileron gap seals. If you do have the carpet kit, it would require the zipper to be cut out and the Rudder Cable Cover would go between the carpet and the baggage compartment wall. The edges of the cut carpet would be velcroed to the flange of the rudder cable cover.

Quote Originally Posted by txcub View Post
    Yes, I would be interested in a set to install without the carpet kit. Will it cover the entire visible cable length?

Thanks

Jon

The distance from the back wall to the rudder cable stays is 28 inches. The length of the cable covers is 3/8 short of the cable stays for clearance. I will try to render a picture today.

image.jpg

We are still on schedule for next week. More pictures to come.

Im very interested and would buy set if priced right. Just let me know. Hope to see you at the Rumble in the Desert.

At a reasonable price, I would be interested, too.