Default Re: Rudder cable covers

I'm interested too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bob Gray, FX-3 #38, ZK-FXC

I would be interested in a set also.

[QUOTE=Lemac Aviation;12268
    Unfortunately I am not willing to put our name behind them. Our design needs some tuning. The mold formed a flat flange to be attached to the baggage compartment wall, due to the curvature and the diagonal bend, the covers only touch the front and back sections of the wall.
    Matthew
    Hows the covers going?
    I was wondering how the heck you did those transition? Couldn't see with the baggage cover on.
    I built a couple of sets awhile ago out of .040 Aluminum(pretty much the same shape) miter cut and welded together one set,then extended the legs and cut to fit the sides on another, the legs got long and the curve against the straight made it look bulky. The miter cut one looked a little better but I just couldn't get it either to look good enough so I scrapped them. I thought about just making it in shape of a angle like to match the cables guide wasn't sure it would look any better so I never did it. Hoping you came up with a better idea on how to make those transition look good.
    Thanks
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Hows the covers going?
    I was wondering how the heck you did those transition? Couldn't see with the baggage cover on.
    I built a couple of sets awhile ago out of .040 Aluminum(pretty much the same shape) miter cut and welded together one set,then extended the legs and cut to fit the sides on another, the legs got long and the curve against the straight made it look bulky. The miter cut one looked a little better but I just couldn't get it either to look good enough so I scrapped them. I thought about just making it in shape of a angle like to match the cables guide wasn't sure it would look any better so I never did it. Hoping you came up with a better idea on how to make those transition look good.
    Thanks
    Chuck

Chuck,
    I think we ran into the same problems. The mold I made was flat and it only hit the wall in a few places. It would work okay with the baggage line because it covers the gap but I wouldn't install it into my plane.
    I have thought about a few ways to get around this but only one seems to correctly eliminate the gap and have a nice looking product for those who don't want baggage liner.
    Monday I am vacuum bagging some fiberglass to both sides of the wall and letting it cure. I will scribe there the cable sits and remove the fiberglass. I will then take the molds and laser scan them or Microscribe them into Solidworks and add the surfaces and add the round cover part. This will allow the cover to be straight but also allow the flange to contour against the wall.
    Here is the fun part.... I will then export the drawing into the 3d printer and print a mold out of PC and use the mold to vacuum bag the carbon fiber.

I wanted to get this done last week but I have three custom builds going at once and a cirrus annual. Our shop is a tad busy. I will post some pictures of the process this week.

Sounds like you have right plan. 3d printers who ever thought? Pretty soon u will be printing Airplanes.
    look forward to seeing it.
    Thanks
    Chuck

Any updates.

Oops, should have been "any updates?"

Any recent update?

Jon

Jon, and all:

Matt has run into some diffculties in making an appropriate set of Carbon fiber molds, and is re-engineering them.

He promised to have an update for all of you on the Forum next week!

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com