Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rudder cable covers

Default Re: Rudder cable covers

Looks Nice. Why such a big gap. ( Make it big And cut it to fit) I would think you would want that tight and a cover in the front too keep stuff from getting in there with no way out or something getting lodged in there,now that you have two surfaces that close together. Maybe make one that covers front and overlaps to the back one,that way there would be no trimming just let it overlap an 1" or so on the back.
    Just a thought.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Looks Nice. Why such a big gap. ( Make it big And cut it to fit) I would think you would want that tight and a cover in the front too keep stuff from getting in there with no way out or something getting lodged in there,now that you have two surfaces that close together. Maybe make one that covers front and overlaps to the back one,that way there would be no trimming just let it overlap an 1" or so on the back.
    Just a thought.
    Chuck
    I'm a little in the camp with Springloaded on this. Looks really good but the remaining gap is bothersome. Perhaps a second piece that would straddle the cable grommet hard point and extend over the front cable cover and the new rear cable cover?......I think anyone's first question upon seeing the new cover would be "what's with the gap?"
    Please except this as constructive, I think you're very close to perfecting this idea.

If you are building your own CC this length will vary from build to build, I'm not too concerned about the gap since there will be a larger one forward of the the cable guide anyway, however I would like to know the longest length your mold will make.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Update!
    Just had our annual Rumble in the Desert in Agua Dolce, a gourgeous grass strip at a private airpark north of LA... what a great spot!
    We had 12 Carbon Cub owners, and I was able to show everyone the installed Rudder Cable covers with the fabric insert (see Matts pictures below in Post #19).
    The 'gap' that has been referred to is quite small...insignificant really. Sure, something very small could get in there, but that was always an issue with the existing rudder cable covers forward of the frame pieces..... and at least these new rudder cable covers are removable if needed; the ones that are currently there are not. Worst case, a small rectangle of strong cloth (like ballistic nylon) with velcro along each side, could be fastened over the complete gap from original rudder covers to the new ones, if anyone wanted to cover that up.

No concerns from the guests at the Rumble on the gap, but huge accolades on how the covers look! With the clear coat over carbon fiber, they match perfectly with the carbon fiber up on the side panels by the Thottle quadrant.

Im sure this will be a very popular item for Carbon Cub owners. I packed quite a bit of the Rumble gear needed for the competition in back of my plane, and it was nice not to worry at all about pinching the cables!

Rick
    Last edited by Rick Bosshardt; 03-15-2015 at 08:37 AM.

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Add me to the growing list of interested owners.

Chuck

Balfour,Southland, South Island, New Zealand

Add me to the list also please for EX 55, they look just the ticket !!
    Last edited by terry; 03-20-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by terry View Post
    Add me to the list also please, they look just the ticket !!
    Rick, add me to the list of interested folks. Have talked to a couple of guys that saw them at the rumble, and they were impressed. Don

Dont forget about me!

Thank you so much for you interest in the Cable Covers. We were happy to use Rick's cub as a demo.
    Unfortunately I am not willing to put our name behind them. Our design needs some tuning. The mold formed a flat flange to be attached to the baggage compartment wall, due to the curvature and the diagonal bend, the covers only touch the front and back sections of the wall.
    In the next couple days we will apply fiberglass to the wall to obtain the exact surface dimension and tranfser the data to cad. We will then add the curve to protect the cable and 3D print out carbon fiber mold. Love new technology.
    I promise, to those who are interested, we are working quickly to produce a product that we are proud of!

if you have any questions, please feel free to call me

Lemac Aviation
    Matthew Layton
    480-463-0697

Put me down for a set as well!

Pete
    CCK-1865-0078
    ️N9PW
    Severna Park, MD
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pete