Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sport Cub Charging System

Default Sport Cub Charging System

As with many components on our LSA aircraft, the battery and alternator were kept as light as possible. With that in mind, I wanted to bring up some items to watch for in regards to the charging system.

The alternator used on the O-200 Continental charges the battery when the engine reaches 1500-1700 rpm. If the engine is run at low RPM with high electrical load, the battery is probably not being charged. Situations where this might occur are taxiing for long periods of time with strobes on, or "playing" with the GPS/radios with the engine shut down. Recommendations if this is causing a problem: wait to turn strobes on until just before takeoff, and minimize electrical usage when the engine is shut down.
    Becky Teerink

Default Re: Sport Cub Charging System

For those of you with Sport Cubs and a Garmin 296/396/496 in your panels, you might consider changing one of the data fields on your GPS to "Voltage". That way you'll always know the state of your electrical bus and thus whether you're charging or not. 14.X volts means you're getting a solid charge, 13.x volts means you're getting a partial charge, and 12.X volts or lower means you're not charging.
    Randy Lervold

Another way to monitor voltage is to use one of the several 12 volt LCD voltmeters out there. It can be plugged into the Aux electrical port on the aircraft and gives a constant voltage reading. One made by Vector has worked well for me--it swivels to change the viewing angle. I couldn't figure out how to upoad a picture of it, but just plug "Vector 12 volt LCD" in your browser and you will see several options where to get it.

I use the same unit on my sport cub, but the cigarette lighter is hot all the time on mine and the voltmeter will draw the battery down after a long while. Going to ask Becky about wiring the lighter to the bus instead of direct.

Another option would be to upgrade to the new LED nav/strobe lights if you have them installed. There is a slight weight reduction and a significant reduction in power consumption, giving more margin for charging.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Farmer View Post
    I use the same unit on my sport cub, but the cigarette lighter is hot all the time on mine and the voltmeter will draw the battery down after a long while. Going to ask Becky about wiring the lighter to the bus instead of direct.
    Hi Bill!
    Connecting to the bus instead of the battery is definitely an option. Just remember to have your mechanic protect the circuit in some way!
    Becky Teerink

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamblin View Post
    Another option would be to upgrade to the new LED nav/strobe lights if you have them installed. There is a slight weight reduction and a significant reduction in power consumption, giving more margin for charging.

Steve
    Any idea what the cost of this upgrade would be. Is it a difficult installation?

Thanks,

Michael
    cc11-0003

Quote Originally Posted by MJD View Post
    Any idea what the cost of this upgrade would be. Is it a difficult installation?

Thanks,

Michael
    cc11-0003
    Michael,
    These new lights are amazing! We are just now putting the packages and info together- keep watching for updates!
    Becky Teerink

Thumbs up Re: Sport Cub Charging System

N41CT has LED nav/strobes and they are excellent. Much less electrical draw, very very bright and you lose 7 lbs! A very worthwhile mod.
    Cheers,
    tom

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Teerink View Post
    Michael,
    These new lights are amazing! We are just now putting the packages and info together- keep watching for updates!

Tom and Becky, let me see if I got this right. If I switch to led bulbs I can take 7#s off my W&B? That sounds to good to be true!