Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: G3X Touch Panel Retrofit

Default G3X Touch Panel Retrofit

Now that my plane is an E-LSA, I can finally start tinkering with it! The plane originally came with a VFR Performance Panel (GDU370, Becker Xpdr & Com), which is great but I was missing engine monitoring.

IMG_0897.jpg

Original VFR Performance Panel

I initially planned to add just a Garmin GEA engine monitoring unit to the existing GDU370 (running in MFD mode), but found out that is not supported. I would need to turn the GDU into a full PFD to get engine monitoring, which meant adding a GSU (AHARS) and a GMU (magnetometer) as well. At that point buying a new G3X Touch system was "only" a few AMU more. Hm.

After some emails back and forth with Mike Sutton from CubCrafters (he is in their service shop and has done many retrofits, including the dual G3X systems before Touch came out), I decided to do the full upgrade to a G3X Touch system. This will enable me to get engine monitoring, ADS-B In and Out*, COM with stand-by freq monitoring, an AOA indicator, and a very clean panel. Yes totally overkill for a Cub.... at least I decided to skip the autopilot for now

GDU 460 System With EIS
    GAP 26 (Pitot probe with AOA)
    GTR 200
    GTX 23 ES
    GDL 39R (+ external antenna)
    Engine Sensors (CHT, EGT, Carb Temp, MP, Oil T, Oil P, Amp meters. I can re-use the Fuel Flow FT-60)
    IBBS (Backup Battery)

Including wires and mounting hardware it is about $13K in parts.

(After the system was installed, I also added the GPS-20A for ADS-B Out GPS Signal)

IMG_0895.jpg

CubCrafters sold me a pre-cut panel, with placards. Shown with the GDU460 and GTR 200 installed.

IMG_0889.jpg

Misc components

IMG_0888.jpg

Wiring harnesses

Since the latest Carbon Cub AMM has all of the wiring diagrams for the production G3X Touch installs, it was fairly straight forward to create all the wiring harnesses and diagrams. As a retrofit, my components will go in slightly different spaces than on the new production planes. My electrical system is a bit older configuration too, so I am bringing it up to to the latest standards at the same time (mostly re-locating breakers).

So far I have pre-built all the harnesses and planned out the wiring, but tonight the project got started for real! Hopefully I can get this done over the next month.

IMG_0904.jpg

Will keep you updated on the progress.
    Last edited by marcusadolfsson; 04-18-2016 at 07:37 AM.

Default Re: G3X Touch Panel Retrofit

Marcus,

Thats awesome, keep the pictures coming!

MR

Marcus

Excellent in formation and a great project. I suspect that are several others that may follow in your foot steps. Keep the posts coming!

Will you be adding the ADHARS and the magnetometer in the wing? That could be a real challenge!

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Will you be adding the ADHARS and the magnetometer in the wing? That could be a real challenge!
    The ADHARS will go on the new avionics shelf behind the panel, here is a photo that Mike provided as reference:

IMG_0445.jpg

The magnetometer is a bit more tricky, as it needs to go in the aft right wing (another picture from Mike below). It will require a slightly larger than normal inspection panel for access. My A&P will mount it for me, as well as the new pitot probe.

IMG_0055.jpg

The ADHARS looks pretty straight forward. It would seem that the magnetometer sensor and the pitot will be a bit more of a challenge. I will be interested in hearing how the lines are run through a completed wing, presumably through the existing access ports, and the new one you will be adding for the megnetometer.

I have put those goodies and lines in my wings, as detailed in a post on this site, but before fabric.

Keep us posted. Great project!

Chuck

Not much progress this week, was only able to spend a few hours in the hangar. Removed the panel and the old intercom (need to replace the headphones wiring for stereo support), and started wiring up the breaker relocation for the Ignition system.

IMG_0936.jpg

Old panel is fully removed

IMG_0938.jpg

Removed the old PS Engineering audio panel, since the Garmin radio has integrated panel. Need to swap the mono headphone jacks to stereo.

IMG_0942.jpg

Moving the Ignition from the battery post to the battery side of the master solenoid.

More progress next week.
    Last edited by marcusadolfsson; 02-22-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Impressive undertaking. Do you have a hopeful date for completion?

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Impressive undertaking. Do you have a hopeful date for completion?
    If I am done early April I will be happy. Slowly learning that everything takes double the estimated time. Was able to spend three hours tonight in the hangar, almost done with the electrical system re-wiring.

Only managed a few trips to the hangar over the last few weeks, but got a few things finished.

breakers.jpg

Ignition breakers relocated from the from the panel to the seatbase.

panel.jpg

Hard to tell from the above mess, but the electrical buses re-wiring is completed. You can also see the avionics shelf that will hold most of the components.

pre-wire.jpg audio wiring.jpg

All of the audio re-wiring has been completed and tested. The PS1200 Intercom (first picture) was removed, and instead the audio runs are now run to the panel mounted GTR 200. I re-used the intercom breaker for the LEMO 12V. Previously I had high-pitch noise when the landing light was on, its now gone!

Next week will try to get to the OAT sensor, Magnetometer, and Pitot tube.

Enjoying following this project.

Look forward to seeing how you install the pitot tubes and magnetometer lines in the wings.

nice work!