Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G3X Touch Panel Retrofit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default G3X Touch Panel Retrofit

Now that my plane is an E-LSA, I can finally start tinkering with it! The plane originally came with a VFR Performance Panel (GDU370, Becker Xpdr & Com), which is great but I was missing engine monitoring.

IMG_0897.jpg

Original VFR Performance Panel

I initially planned to add just a Garmin GEA engine monitoring unit to the existing GDU370 (running in MFD mode), but found out that is not supported. I would need to turn the GDU into a full PFD to get engine monitoring, which meant adding a GSU (AHARS) and a GMU (magnetometer) as well. At that point buying a new G3X Touch system was "only" a few AMU more. Hm.

After some emails back and forth with Mike Sutton from CubCrafters (he is in their service shop and has done many retrofits, including the dual G3X systems before Touch came out), I decided to do the full upgrade to a G3X Touch system. This will enable me to get engine monitoring, ADS-B In and Out*, COM with stand-by freq monitoring, an AOA indicator, and a very clean panel. Yes totally overkill for a Cub.... at least I decided to skip the autopilot for now

GDU 460 System With EIS
    GAP 26 (Pitot probe with AOA)
    GTR 200
    GTX 23 ES
    GDL 39R (+ external antenna)
    Engine Sensors (CHT, EGT, Carb Temp, MP, Oil T, Oil P, Amp meters. I can re-use the Fuel Flow FT-60)
    IBBS (Backup Battery)

Including wires and mounting hardware it is about $13K in parts.

(After the system was installed, I also added the GPS-20A for ADS-B Out GPS Signal)

IMG_0895.jpg

CubCrafters sold me a pre-cut panel, with placards. Shown with the GDU460 and GTR 200 installed.

IMG_0889.jpg

Misc components

IMG_0888.jpg

Wiring harnesses

Since the latest Carbon Cub AMM has all of the wiring diagrams for the production G3X Touch installs, it was fairly straight forward to create all the wiring harnesses and diagrams. As a retrofit, my components will go in slightly different spaces than on the new production planes. My electrical system is a bit older configuration too, so I am bringing it up to to the latest standards at the same time (mostly re-locating breakers).

So far I have pre-built all the harnesses and planned out the wiring, but tonight the project got started for real! Hopefully I can get this done over the next month.

IMG_0904.jpg

Will keep you updated on the progress.
    Last edited by marcusadolfsson; 04-18-2016 at 07:37 AM.

Default Re: G3X Touch Panel Retrofit

Marcus,

Thats awesome, keep the pictures coming!

MR

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Marcus,

You have taken on quite a project. Looking forward to your completion

Continued good luck.

JM
    John Moreland
    SWT Aviation
    CubCrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Central Florida

Between spring break, business travel and kid events I am only making minor progress but the end is in sight. Glad I am not building an EX from scratch - at this rate I would have barely unpacked the crate

IMG_1398.jpg

Hole cut for the magnetometer access panel. I have an slim painted aluminum plate that will provide access to the unit, without re-cutting the fabric.

IMG_1400.jpg

Data and power wires ran down the aft channel of the wing. Will need to add one more circular access panel to secure the wires properly.

IMG_1405.jpg

I didn't like how much give the panel had when touching the screen, so I added a support bracket to the bottom that attaches the avionics shelf (bottom of transponder in the next picture).

IMG_1406.jpg

Aluminum avionics shelf. Took a few tries to get right fit and layout. From left to right - GDL39R and a new ground-block, the GEA, the transponder mount below, the GSU, and the IBBS mounted on the below.

IMG_1409.jpg

IBBS

IMG_1412.jpg

All the Garmin data, audio and engine sensors wires have been run. Plenty of slack for easy re-pinning when Garmin adds new products. The hanging power wires makes it look messier than it is

Next week the plan is to finish the panel wiring so I can install the new panel, finish the magnetometer, start on the pitot probe, and wire up the engine sensor probes. Almost done!
    Last edited by marcusadolfsson; 04-11-2015 at 09:23 PM.

Awesome progress!

Amazed at how quickly you have brought this all together

Chuck

On Friday evening I got help by my local A&P to finish up the engine sensors. We replaced the Oil Pressure sensor (and the new flexible hose SB) and Oil Temp, and added CHT and EGT sensors, a Carb Temp and Manifold Pressure sensor. The Fuel Flow sensor was re-used.

new oil.jpg

egt-cht-sensors.jpg

back together.jpg

This morning we cranked the engine, and everything worked except for RPM indications. Argh! After checking all connections etc, I located the receipt for the resistors needed to pull the voltage down and realized I had purchased 2.2 Ohm resistors instead of 2.2k Ohm. One trip to RadioShack later, some splicing and soldering and heat shrinking, the RPM magically shows! I really like with the ease I can access the sensor wires through the panel.

fix resistor.jpg

After a leak check we re-assemble the cowling and taxi over to the compass rose to perform a the magnetometer calibration, no issues. The magnetometer also passed all interference tests except for when the LED strobes were on. I couldn't see any issues later when in flight, but may need to run a dedicated ground wire for at least the right LED light - thoughts?

cockpit on ground.jpg

Time for first flight! I barely had time to verify that airspeed works before I am airborne. The ADS-B traffic system came alive with radar targets in the area right away (weather data was available on the ground as we have an ADS-B tower at KGNV). Tower confirms the radio is loud and clear.

I flew around in the testing area some to get familiar with the G3X system in the air, and then started the AOA calibration procedure. You have fly four AOA angles - the speed at which the AOA is displayed, the warning speed, the stall speed, and the approach speed.

That went well, except I had a tough time getting the plane to stall. Throttle at idle, stick full aft, flaps up, and it just sits there at 30 kts slowly loosing altitude. No noticeable break. By then it was sunset so time to fly home. I plan to fly another four hours tomorrow to finish my major change log entry.

in flight.jpg

Still remaining is to fine tune some of the gauge markings and alerts. I found a post on the forums with the Dynon configuration so that is start. If I get time tomorrow I will record some video and upload.
    Last edited by marcusadolfsson; 04-18-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Marcus

Excellent in formation and a great project. I suspect that are several others that may follow in your foot steps. Keep the posts coming!

Will you be adding the ADHARS and the magnetometer in the wing? That could be a real challenge!

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Will you be adding the ADHARS and the magnetometer in the wing? That could be a real challenge!
    The ADHARS will go on the new avionics shelf behind the panel, here is a photo that Mike provided as reference:

IMG_0445.jpg

The magnetometer is a bit more tricky, as it needs to go in the aft right wing (another picture from Mike below). It will require a slightly larger than normal inspection panel for access. My A&P will mount it for me, as well as the new pitot probe.

IMG_0055.jpg

Actually building an EX would probably be easier than this retrofit! Nice work.

Will the the pitot tubes need to be tied down where they cross the ribs?

chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Actually building an EX would probably be easier than this retrofit! Nice work.

Will the the pitot tubes need to be tied down where they cross the ribs?

chuck
    The above picture is the magnetometer lines run inside protective pvc sleeves, but I am going to try to move them into the aft wing spar channel. The manual calls for a tie-down every 12", but that is too frequent for a retrofit. If I add one more access panel I can do three attachments.