Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: G3X Touch Panel Retrofit

Default Re: G3X Touch Panel Retrofit

These are the engine indication values I am currently using. Please share any corrections.

Most are from this thread: http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/sho...ttings-refined, except for CHTs which I like to run cooler.

EGT (800-1600)
    Red + Alert 1600
    Yellow + Alert 1500
    Green 400-1500
    Yellow 300-400
    CHT (200-500)
    Red + Alert 450-500
    Yellow + Alert 380-450
    Green 200-380
    Yellow + Alert 30-200
    Fuel Flow (0-20)
    Red + Alert 18-20
    Green 0-18
    Voltage (10-16) Main Volt, Backup Battery, IBBS
    Red + Alert 15.8-16
    Green 12.6-15.8
    Yellow + Alert 10.8-12.6
    Red + Alert 10-1.8
    Battery Current (-15-55)
    Red + Alert 50-55
    Yellow + Alert 30-50
    Green (-10)-30
    Yellow + Alert (-14)-(-10)
    Red + Alert (-15)-(-14)
    Carb Temp (0-100)
    Green 70-100
    Yellow + Alert 30-70
    Green 0-30
    Tach (500-2730)
    Red + Alert 2710-2730
    Yellow + Alert 2700-2710
    Green 500-2700
    Manifold Pressure (0-30)
    Red + Alert 30
    Green 0-30
    Oil (23-100)
    Red + Alert 100
    Yellow + Alert 85-100
    Green 40-85
    Yellow + Alert 25-40
    Red + Alert 23-25
    Oil Temp (80-250)
    Red + Alert 245-250
    Yellow + Alert 225-245
    Green 120-225
    Yellow + Alert 80-120
    N80DB #119 E-LSA / G3X Touch

Quote Originally Posted by marcusadolfsson View Post

After a leak check we re-assemble the cowling and taxi over to the compass rose to perform a the magnetometer calibration, no issues. The magnetometer also passed all interference tests except for when the LED strobes were on. I couldn't see any issues later when in flight, but may need to run a dedicated ground wire for at least the right LED light - thoughts?

Current aircraft have a multi-conductor shielded wire with the shield grounded under the panel and at the wing tip for the Nav lights. ( I think it is 4 conductor shielded) This was started when we were initially looking at G3X and magnetometer installations but probably not on something as old as what you have.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Current aircraft have a multi-conductor shielded wire with the shield grounded under the panel and at the wing tip for the Nav lights. ( I think it is 4 conductor shielded) This was started when we were initially looking at G3X and magnetometer installations but probably not on something as old as what you have.
    Right - I currently have non-shielded hot wires. I am not seeing heading fluctuations when the strobes are on, but will reach out to Garmin support to see what the long-term interference issue may be.

Really nice job! I'm debating between Dynon and Garmin and was curious if there was any strong reason for choosing the G3X?

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0092

Quote Originally Posted by GreggG View Post
    Really nice job! I'm debating between Dynon and Garmin and was curious if there was any strong reason for choosing the G3X?
    Primarily familiarity. I had the Garmin G1000 in my Cirrus, a Garmin Aera (handheld) in the Eclipse, the Garmin non-touch GDU in the previous VFR Performance panel. The G3X team has been very active in adding new features, since I purchased the hardware in November I think there has been five software updates (http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=8901).

Another benefit was that I could purchase a finished panel from CubCrafters with placards and it looks "factory-finished". $145 panel, $200 paint charge, $300 borders and placards.

One more photo on the way to Sun N Fun.

By enabling a pilot selectable "Flight ID" for the transponder (and leaving it as N80DB), I can have the tail number always showing above the Transponder.

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1517 (1).jpg

Outstanding job Marcus, congratulations!!

Did you end up with auto trim for the autopilot, or a path to achieve this? And did you get ADS-B out and ADS-B in display?
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Outstanding job Marcus, congratulations!!

Did you end up with auto trim for the autopilot, or a path to achieve this? And did you get ADS-B out and ADS-B in display?
    Thanks! No autopilot servos installed yet, it may be my winter project. I have not done enough research on auto trim, but the G3X servos supports auto trim so it is a matter of the existing trim motor being compatible. I can always change trim system if needed.

Yes ADS-B IN and OUT works fine. The ADS-B towers see my 1090 out signal and uplinks local transponder-only traffic. It is not 2020 compliant since the G3X GPS source is not certified, but I am hoping that Garmin will have a low cost stand-alone certified GPS that integrates into the G3X system in the next 5 years.

One draw-back with ADS-B out is the lack of privacy when enabled. I guess the same is true with Mode-S but ADS-B is easier to track. In the below screenshot I flew home from Sun N Fun in Lakeland, and didn't talk to a sole except for Lakeland tower. Still Flightaware's private ADS-B network tracked my whole flight based on my ADS-B identifier (Note: I am a recent contributor to their network as I have a PiAware box in my window).

Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 12.10.32 PM.jpg
    Last edited by marcusadolfsson; 04-26-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusadolfsson View Post
    Primarily familiarity. I had the Garmin G1000 in my Cirrus, a Garmin Aera (handheld) in the Eclipse, the Garmin non-touch GDU in the previous VFR Performance panel. The G3X team has been very active in adding new features, since I purchased the hardware in November I think there has been five software updates (http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=8901).

Another benefit was that I could purchase a finished panel from CubCrafters with placards and it looks "factory-finished". $145 panel, $200 paint charge, $300 borders and placards.

I pick up my 2nd. Carbon Cub this week. I've had Dynon in a couple of my prior aircraft and was very satisfied. With that said I'm getting the G3X with Garmin's Auto Pilot in my new Cub. Of course Dynon wasn't an option but I think I would've opted for the G3X regardless. Other than Avidyne Glass I've always preferred Garmin for many of the same reasons Marcus stated. I especially like that you can now transfer flight plans from an iPad/iPhone to/from the G3X via the Garmin Pilot APP. Simply do all your flight planning on your iPhone/iPad jump in the plane and transfer it to the G3X. Pretty cool!

David Morris
    Carbon Cub #367
    Somerset, KY.
    Last edited by davidmorris; 04-28-2015 at 08:38 PM.

Garmin today announced the GPS 20A, an $845 module that provides 2020 ADS-B Out compliant signals to the G3X.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=127674

In addition to the module, a new GPS antenna will be needed (off comes the skylight again...). Not sure when it will ship, but will post a PIREP once I get it installed.