Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: G3X Touch Panel Retrofit

Default Re: G3X Touch Panel Retrofit

Marcus, I have been following your posts. Looks like you are having a good time. You really get to know your CC with a project like this. Here is my project before and after with Dynon Touch. Well worth the effort.

Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Marcus, I have been following your posts. Looks like you are having a good time. You really get to know your CC with a project like this. Here is my project before and after with Dynon Touch. Well worth the effort.
    You sure do! Your custom panel looks great, and your posts on fabricating it got me thinking of doing the G3X update.

IMG_1454.jpg

Pitot probe now installed, with an access panel for future maintenance events. Once painted grey it should blend in.

IMG_1455.jpg

Pitot probe lines from inside the wing.

IMG_1459.jpg

Installed a Teledyne LED landing light, removed the HID ballast. With this bulb I plan to leave the light on all the time.
    Last edited by marcusadolfsson; 04-16-2015 at 08:40 AM.

Awesome progress!

Amazed at how quickly you have brought this all together

Chuck

On Friday evening I got help by my local A&P to finish up the engine sensors. We replaced the Oil Pressure sensor (and the new flexible hose SB) and Oil Temp, and added CHT and EGT sensors, a Carb Temp and Manifold Pressure sensor. The Fuel Flow sensor was re-used.

new oil.jpg

egt-cht-sensors.jpg

back together.jpg

This morning we cranked the engine, and everything worked except for RPM indications. Argh! After checking all connections etc, I located the receipt for the resistors needed to pull the voltage down and realized I had purchased 2.2 Ohm resistors instead of 2.2k Ohm. One trip to RadioShack later, some splicing and soldering and heat shrinking, the RPM magically shows! I really like with the ease I can access the sensor wires through the panel.

fix resistor.jpg

After a leak check we re-assemble the cowling and taxi over to the compass rose to perform a the magnetometer calibration, no issues. The magnetometer also passed all interference tests except for when the LED strobes were on. I couldn't see any issues later when in flight, but may need to run a dedicated ground wire for at least the right LED light - thoughts?

cockpit on ground.jpg

Time for first flight! I barely had time to verify that airspeed works before I am airborne. The ADS-B traffic system came alive with radar targets in the area right away (weather data was available on the ground as we have an ADS-B tower at KGNV). Tower confirms the radio is loud and clear.

I flew around in the testing area some to get familiar with the G3X system in the air, and then started the AOA calibration procedure. You have fly four AOA angles - the speed at which the AOA is displayed, the warning speed, the stall speed, and the approach speed.

That went well, except I had a tough time getting the plane to stall. Throttle at idle, stick full aft, flaps up, and it just sits there at 30 kts slowly loosing altitude. No noticeable break. By then it was sunset so time to fly home. I plan to fly another four hours tomorrow to finish my major change log entry.

in flight.jpg

Still remaining is to fine tune some of the gauge markings and alerts. I found a post on the forums with the Dynon configuration so that is start. If I get time tomorrow I will record some video and upload.
    Last edited by marcusadolfsson; 04-18-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusadolfsson View Post

That went well, except I had a tough time getting the plan to stall. Throttle at idle, stick full aft, flaps up, and it just sits there at 30 kts slowly loosing altitude. No noticeable break. By then it was sunset so time to fly home. I plan to fly another four hours tomorrow to finish my major change log entry.
    Marcus, I had the same problem trying to calibrate the Dynon AOA. Still not right.

Did you install the autopilot?

Marcus, I had the same problem trying to calibrate the Dynon AOA. Still not right.

Did you install the autopilot?
    Not yet, but it may be my fall project... Not that a Cub needs it, but because I like to tinker with the plane now

With the G3X (like Dynon Skyview) I only need to add two $750 servos, all the logic is already in the PFD. I can optionally add the dedicated AP panel (identical to the one we had in Cirrus Perspective), already have space for it in the panel. Garmin just added ESP-X which is interesting (but overkill for a Cub)

I am not clear on where the servos mount. There certainly is not much space in the seat base unless I relocate some stuff.
    Last edited by marcusadolfsson; 04-18-2015 at 09:11 PM.

I am not clear on where the servos mount. There certainly is not much space in the seat base unless I relocate some stuff.
    Servo mounts turn out to be the hardest part of the project. Very little space under the seat. Hope you remembered to put the wire bundles down under the seat.

While the CC is very stable, a good wing leveler autopilot is very nice in the CC.

Servo mounts turn out to be the hardest part of the project. Very little space under the seat. Hope you remembered to put the wire bundles down under the seat.
    I did not pre-wire the AP, but it should not take more than a few hours to extend the Canbus and run a power wire down the right side of the aircraft. Did you custom fabricate the mounts?

I also didn't do the trim position sensor yet, does anyone have advice on best way to install it during a retrofit?
    N80DB #119 E-LSA / G3X Touch

I did not pre-wire the AP, but it should not take more than a few hours to extend the Canbus and run a power wire down the right side of the aircraft. Did you custom fabricate the mounts?

I also didn't do the trim position sensor yet, does anyone have advice on best way to install it during a retrofit?
    I would guess CubCrafters is making autopilot mount parts by now. They were talking about it a year ago. I use TruTrac mounts with a few changes. If CubCrafters is making mounts now let me know I may change mine.

Does the Garmin system offer automatic trim for the autopilot? Avidyne requires manual trim to take the load of the pitch servo.

Does the Garmin system offer automatic trim for the autopilot? Avidyne requires manual trim to take the load of the pitch servo.
    Yes, although looking at the CubCrafters wiring manual it doesn't seem they incorporate that feature at the factory. Have not looked into the current trim motor.

From the manual:

12.5.2.3 Trim Motor Interface
    The GSA 28 provides an optional interface between the pilot's electric trim switch and a 14 Vdc trim motor. When the GSA 28 servo is engaged (i.e. autopilot on), it automatically drives the connected trim motor as required to relieve control forces for the associated pitch, roll, or yaw axis.

When the GSA 28 servo is not engaged (i.e. autopilot off), it provides manual electric trim (MET) functionality by running the trim motor in response to pilot input. The GSA 28 can be configured to automatically reduce the speed of the trim motor at higher airspeeds, in order to provide finer control of trim tab position.

In the event that power to the GSA 28 is removed, a fail-safe system connects the trim input switch directly to the trim motor. In this condition, the trim switch powers the trim motor directly and the motor runs at its full speed when the switch is pressed. The same condition also occurs if a trim switch and motor are connected to the GSA 28, but the trim control function is disabled.

20.8.7 Trim
    The trim inputs should connect to the panel trim switch. The trim outputs should connect to the trim servo, maximum output current of the trim outputs is 1 Amp. If the GSA 28 is not powered, a fail-safe feature causes the trim inputs to connect directly to the trim outputs. If the servo is powered and configured for speed scheduling, the servo drives the trim outputs based on the trim inputs and aircraft speed. If the servo is powered with the autopilot and auto trim feature is enabled, the servo has full control of the trim outputs.
    N80DB #119 E-LSA / G3X Touch