Thread: UAT antenna installation

Default UAT antenna installation

Now the FAA has relaxed the rules for Experimental and LSA aircraft, and Navworx came out with a $699 ADS-B out solution. I was thinking about installing ADS-B out. I was wondering if anyone had installed a UAT antenna - it needs a ground plane and least 5 feet from the Transponder antenna, which seems to limited the places in a fabric aircraft.

From Navworx
    The ADS600-EXP meets the ADS-B Final Rule Technical Amendment, dated 2/9/2015, affecting 14 CFR 91.225 (b)(1)(ii) which permits ADS-B OUT in the NAS with devices that meet the performance requirements of TSO-C154c

Possible Antenna
    http://www.deltapopaviation.com/UAT_Antenna.html

Default Re: UAT antenna installation

Quote Originally Posted by fr0gpil0t View Post
    Now the FAA has relaxed the rules for Experimental and LSA aircraft, and Navworx came out with a $699 ADS-B out solution. I was thinking about installing ADS-B out. I was wondering if anyone had installed a UAT antenna - it needs a ground plane and least 5 feet from the Transponder antenna, which seems to limited the places in a fabric aircraft.

From Navworx
    The ADS600-EXP meets the ADS-B Final Rule Technical Amendment, dated 2/9/2015, affecting 14 CFR 91.225 (b)(1)(ii) which permits ADS-B OUT in the NAS with devices that meet the performance requirements of TSO-C154c

Possible Antenna
    http://www.deltapopaviation.com/UAT_Antenna.html
    Interesting.

Also, if you already have a Garmin GTX 330, have you considered modifying it to a GTX 330 ES (extended squitter). Might cost a little more, but the installation is easier. One of the CCs on our field did that, but I don't know the cost.
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

I have the 330 but have not updated to to the 330ES..its about $1500 upgrade..so if I upgrade what additional equipment would I need?

Quote Originally Posted by ncshp View Post
    I have the 330 but have not updated to to the 330ES..its about $1500 upgrade..so if I upgrade what additional equipment would I need?
    My understanding is you need a WAAS gps as a position source which will allow the 330ES to provide ads-b out. You would get traffic from ads-b in but not weather as that is on the UAT frequency not 1090mhz the transponder is on.

I was looking at the Navworx solution compared to spending the same dollars on a Stratus or GDL-39 (ads-b in only). For the the same cost it gave you ADS-B in (traffic and weather) but also ADS-B out. Navworx seemed to be the first one take advantage of the FAA ruling that say the gps only needs to "“meet the performance requirements”. Not quite sure how you prove that if you have not passed the certification.

Robert