Thread: Bahamas bound?

Default Bahamas bound?

Back in the day, 40 years ago, I flew my Mooney, Skymaster, Navaho to every island in the Bahamas.
    of late I have been going in my boat.
    i have been thinking about flying my CC there just for fun.
    i don't have a medical and my airplane has small (N) numbers.
    Is that going go be a problem?
    Bill

Default Re: Bahamas bound?

Just put 12" numbers on it (and they can be temporary) and you should be good to go. The only other thing that you'll have to do is to take me with you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AOPA lists these requirements... including a medical and 12" tail numbers. BUT I question the accuracy of these as they cite that only "standard Airworthiness Certificated" airplanes are permitted in the Bahamas, which is not correct. Experimental aircrafts (Special Airworthiness Certificates) fly there - legally - all the time.

...the Bahamian Civil Aviation released this "The Islands Of The Bahamas will accept the certification of a US/Canada sport flying pilot. The only exception is a pilot MUST HAVE A Drivers License or a Third-Class Medical."

Yes, I know that light sport and experimentals are able to fly there with no problem at all. I'm not sure about any of the other islands such as Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, the Caymans, etc. but I'd bet that they'd welcome light sport pilots that only have a drivers license in lieu of a third class medical.

Pay the fees and they won't care what you are flying!

Been flying the Bahamas for over 35 years now including LSA aircraft, (Carbon Cub) and LSA since 2007. Even when LSA and experimental were not officially legal the Bahamas they were more than welcoming other pals, now they love you and definiltely go! Its one of the most beautiful air trips you can make. The logistics look rather overwhelming at first but once you do it a few times or have another pal experienced in the process its actually quite easy. Hardest part is your first EAPIS but a great app Flash Pass works wonders . I don't recommend the FAA site its rather confusing. Sadly only disappointing part of any Bahama trip for us is seeing US Customs upon return, Bahamians much more friendly, US Customs act like they don't want us US citizens back. Very sad. Have a ball, all worth it though. Best Gary

A little off subject, but how are you guys with a light-sport license flying into Alaska if Canada is requiring you to have a third class medical, regardless if you're flying a light-sport or not?