Thread: New Top Cub Question

Default New Top Cub Question

Been pondering getting an older Super Cub, or just plunging in for a new Top Cub. And while price is obviously a big factor, i figure that by the time I have roughly 75k into an older cub, fly it for a few years, then look at doing the mods I want to with new engine, full recover and any fixing of old worn out parts, I'd be really close to 175-200k by that point, with something that wouldn't quite have that resale, but I see used top cubs selling regularly in the 200+k region...maybe I am trying to justify buying new in my own head though...

One of the bigger questions that I have with either restoring an older Cub or buying a new Top Cub, would be the availability of the third seat. (maybe a used pa-14 will pop up) I know that it would not really be useable for an adult, but I have an 8 yr old daughter and a 4 month old, so It'd be nice to be able to throw both of them in there (obviously after my youngest is a bit older).

not interested in experimental, although I know there are lots of good options for an additional seat in that category; I want to stay certified for possible instruction in the aircraft following retirement from the Navy.

I see the option on the rebuild page of CubCrafters, but not even mentioned on the Top Cub page...makes me wonder why, maybe STC not available for new aircraft?

Thanks!

Jake

Default Re: New Top Cub Question

There was a PA-14 on Barnstormers last night.
    EV

Super Moderator

Default Re: New Top Cub Question

Quote Originally Posted by steelefx4 View Post
    One of the bigger questions that I have with either restoring an older Cub or buying a new Top Cub, would be the availability of the third seat. (maybe a used pa-14 will pop up) I know that it would not really be useable for an adult, but I have an 8 yr old daughter and a 4 month old, so It'd be nice to be able to throw both of them in there (obviously after my youngest is a bit older).

not interested in experimental, although I know there are lots of good options for an additional seat in that category; I want to stay certified for possible instruction in the aircraft following retirement from the Navy.

I see the option on the rebuild page of CubCrafters, but not even mentioned on the Top Cub page...makes me wonder why, maybe STC not available for new aircraft?

Thanks!

Jake
    Hi Jake, what we call the 'third seat option' really isn't. Not for a Top Cub or a Super Cub. It was originally developed for emergency situations by hunting guides in Alaska, giving them a legal way to get a third person out of the bush or off the ice in an extreme emergency. It was never really intended for use otherwise. It consists of a reinforced floor, seat belt tabs, a placard and and some paperwork. No actual seat was included. Mostly it is has been used in PA-18's to get a legal 180 lbs of baggage capacity behind the passenger. In CC18 Top Cubs that same 180 LB capacity was engineered into the original design and included on the Type Certificate, hence no need for an STC.

The short version is... I'm sorry to say it isn't really a viable option for carrying passengers in either airplane, even kids. uncomfortable, cold, noisy, no vision outside the airplane, and not really safe in the event of a crash.
    Brad Damm - Vice President of Sales and Marketing
    CubCrafters - Yakima, Washington
    Office: (509) 248-9491
    Cell: (509) 961-2313