Thread: Electric trim

Default Electric trim

Has anyone had experience with their cub's electric trim circuit breaker tripping? Twice recently under similar conditions:
    cub is stored in a hanger which is dry but unheated. 0-4 degrees F. When activated after a couple seconds the breaker trips.
    Several flights in between with temps around 25-30 all worked normally. Do these little motors get weak over time?
    Appreciate the help.

Glenn

Default Re: Electric trim

Wrong location, moved to General Discussions

You might check to see if there is too much/dirty/old grease on the jack screw. That would make it harder to turn in colder weather and put more load on the motor.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

My electric trim slows and labours as it moves full down, and it takes very little to stall it if you hold against it. The screw has been cleaned. We are in tropics and very high temps. Tried to find a way to get probes onto the wires to test voltage drop at the motor end but could not access them. Have never had CB pop. Wondering if this slow down is normal / acceptable. Paul.

Balfour,Southland, South Island, New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    You might check to see if there is too much/dirty/old grease on the jack screw. That would make it harder to turn in colder weather and put more load on the motor.
    Pete.
    A little off the forum but still on the subject of Trim.
    I have just completed kit 55 in New Zealand with great support from C C, and now flying almost every day with a smile a mile wide...more fun than my C 185
    We installed the dual trim which we had great difficulty with the priority switch, until by accident after requesting and trying a replacement switching box, that the both switches are live all the time and the priority back/front will over ride each other dependent on priority. Mitch was also unaware of this when I called with the news, as he also thought it as me, that it only had one live at a time.

It may be worth looking at the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by terry View Post
    Pete.

We installed the dual trim which we had great difficulty with the priority switch, until by accident after requesting and trying a replacement switching box, that the both switches are live all the time and the priority back/front will over ride each other dependent on priority. Mitch was also unaware of this when I called with the news, as he also thought it as me, that it only had one live at a time.

It may be worth looking at the manual.
    Yes, both trim switches are live when the priority switch is selected either fwd or aft. Neither trim switch will work if the priority switch is in the middle.

The priority switch will just select which trim switch overrides the other switch.

The description of the operation of the "Two Switch Elevator Trim System" can be found in the Aircraft Flight Manual, section 9.5.1 supplement. Each factory built airplane comes with it's own flight manual. I am unfamiliar with what the kit airplanes get for an equivalent. A generic copy of the AFM can be viewed for reference purposes under the "Support" tab at cubcrafters.com
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc